rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
davidcotton

Games like Batman Arkham Asylum etc.

So been enjoying going through Arkham city (having finished AA previously) and got knight lined up.

Was just wondering what other games that are similar in style would be?  PC or Switch will be fine, not got a ps4 or would have got spiderman by now.

Thanks

The only two that spring immediately to mind are Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max but neither are contained and (for want of a better word) streamlined as Batman is.

Also play Arkham Origins. It's worth it despite not being by Rocksteady.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Do you mean comic book styled or Metroidvania styled? 

Just general genre really.  3rd person etc etc.

Played Shadow Of Mordor but not the sequel and enjoyed it.  Was undecided about assassins creed odyssey having struggled with the witcher 3.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Also play Arkham Origins. It's worth it despite not being by Rocksteady.

Seconded. Despite the similarities to the others it's got its own distinct feel to it too whilst keeping the general combat and gameplay style.

It also has a great tale to tell too.

• Upvote 2

Asylum, in particular, as a third-person, 3D Metroidvania, I think is relatively unique, really. While the sequels draw lots of comparisons with other open-world collect-em-ups, Asylum remains the best of the trilogy for me as it just keeps everything a lot tighter. I honestly can't think of a game that you could compare it to, like for like, although, strangely enough, I was reminded of it to an extent when I recently played the RE2 remake. The initial (and best) area in the police station, especially, although you can't judo slam or suplex the zombies like Batman would (or Resi 4 Leon, come to think of it).

More's the pity!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Just general genre really.  3rd person etc etc.

Played Shadow Of Mordor but not the sequel and enjoyed it.  Was undecided about assassins creed odyssey having struggled with the witcher 3.

AC is a lot more like Batman than The Witcher. If that works for you most third person games this gem are pretty similar.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Asylum, in particular, as a third-person, 3D Metroidvania, I think is relatively unique, really. While the sequels draw lots of comparisons with other open-world collect-em-ups, Asylum remains the best of the trilogy for me as it just keeps everything a lot tighter. I honestly can't think of a game that you could compare it to, like for like, although, strangely enough, I was reminded of it to an extent when I recently played the RE2 remake. The initial (and best) area in the police station, especially, although you can't judo slam or suplex the zombies like Batman would (or Resi 4 Leon, come to think of it).

More's the pity!

If you want 3D metroidvania, surely Souls/Bloodborne is the obvious choice?

3 minutes ago, Broker said:

If you want 3D metroidvania, surely Souls/Bloodborne is the obvious choice?

Although I agree that the Soulsborne games have a lot in common with metroidvanias, the proximity of the camera, mêlée combat and more closed-in environments of Asylum give it a very different feel. It the OP hasn't played Souls yet, however, then obviously he should. Immediately.

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

Seconded. Despite the similarities to the others it's got its own distinct feel to it too whilst keeping the general combat and gameplay style.

It also has a great tale to tell too.

I think it's probably my second favourite, after Asylum.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Regardless, it's good fun imo :) I second your recommendation!

Yeah, DS is great. Asylum is Metroid, whereas City is more Zelda with its open world. 

Arkham Asylum is magic and hasn't been matched since its release but you might also want to try Dishonored (2), Bloodborne and Horizon: Zero Dawn. The latter has a different vibe but it unlocks abilities and exploration opportunities in a masterful way. It's also one of the only games I've enjoyed quite as much as Asylum in the last ten years.

Edit: out on PC soon.