rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

Trailers

The trailer for Alien Convenant that film4 (or channel4) were playing last week made it look amazing. Same with that Prometheus trailer. I don’t think there’s any other films that look so impressive when you catch glimpses that then fall apart so comprehensively when you see the whole thing like those two films. It’s testament to the car crash of a script they both relish in. 

• Empathy 1

6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

A place to share the best and worst. And why.

I LOVE this trailer from 1970, for one of my favourite films.

That's an incredible trailer. Amazingly, it doesn't misrepresent the film in the slightest either.

• Upvote 2

I'm amazed anyone bothered going to the cinema in the 70s. In general, it seems that the trailers produced for the big international films didn't really care that they laid out the entire plot of the film. Perhaps it was a reflection of the time. People didn't want surprises because the 70s was such a cruel and bleak decade (soon to be repeated - Bit of politics. Mrs Thatch etc.

You won't believe what happens in Moonraker when Jaws gets a girlfriend!

4 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I'm amazed anyone bothered going to the cinema in the 70s. In general, it seems that the trailers produced for the big international films didn't really care that they laid out the entire plot of the film. Perhaps it was a reflection of the time. People didn't want surprises because the 70s was such a cruel and bleak decade (soon to be repeated - Bit of politics. Mrs Thatch etc.

Have trailers ever not given away far too much plot? I still will only ever watch a teaser at most.

Possibly. I don't watch nearly as many as I used to. But in the 70s even the voiceover would tell you what was going to happen. I think it was particularly prevalent in Bond films of the era.

So I cut this sort of thing for a living! I've moved away a bit from trailers/promos into more TV spot style stuff over the last couple of years but always try to keep an eye out for what's good. A24 are obviously the masters;

This is also a fucking belter of a film trailer

• Upvote 4

Tom Cruise trailers that take some time before revealing that TOM CRUISE'S FACE IS IN THIS MOVIE are the best Tom Cruise trailers:

3 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

To be fair, in the 70s you saw the trailer in May once then the film came out in September. And there was no forum to discuss it. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

That's an incredible trailer. Amazingly, it doesn't misrepresent the film in the slightest either.

The love that has gone into that trailer is wonderful. Especially for a film there was no guarantee had an audience 

4 hours ago, Nick R said:

Tom Cruise trailers that take some time before revealing that TOM CRUISE'S FACE IS IN THIS MOVIE are the best Tom Cruise trailers:

In the 90s Tom Cruise has a contractual obligation to be 87% of any poster he was in. (check out Vanilla Sky).

24 minutes ago, Delargey said:

This is one of my favourite trailers, I love the way the layers of sound build.

Hail Caesar also had a great first trailer (though I think most people would rank the final film in the lower half of the Coens' filmography):

The film's second trailer was essentially just an edited version of the "would that it were so simple" scene (and its punchline), spoiling the film's funniest bit for everyone.

Spoiler

(Or should that be written "would that 'twere so simple"?)

• Upvote 1

Some of my favourites from recent years:

This has such a great energy thanks to the editing and Kanye, and it gives a decent flavour of the film without spoiling anything.

This is one of my favourites for telling you everything you need to know about the film without telling you anything. Love it.

This is just cute as hell. Again, great music and no spoilers.

• Upvote 1