The Last Game That Beat You?

Robo_1

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Therein lies the rub, I feel: to say you don't have 'enough skill' or 'fast enough reactions' to beat a game is a fallacy; unless you literally have some sort of physical or mental disability, then you just haven't practised enough, or in the right way. You have to weigh up how much time you're willing to put aside for practice vs how much you're actually enjoying the challenge. Every game can be beaten, but it's up to you to decide whether you're willing to put the time in or not. Certainly, there have been times where I've thought to myself 'I know I could do that if I spent X numbers of hours practising, but I can't bothered and/or I don't think it'll be worth it, so I won't' (Ikaruga springs to mind), but I don't think that's necessarily the same as a game 'beating' you.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

No - not 'slackers'. I don't mean that - I get that people, myself included, play games for fun, not work, and if they stop enjoying the game and don't want to play it any more then it doesn't mean they're 'slacking'.

What I mean is, unless a game is impossible by design, ultimately it can always be completed with enough practice, regardless of the individual, but it's up to the player to decide how much practice they're prepared to put in and weigh it up in comparison to how much fun they're actually finding that practice.

To take your example, you could have beaten Genichiro if you wanted to keep practising - of course you could have - but the point is that you didn't want to keep practising because you didn't find it fun, which is completely understandable, so you stopped. That doesn't make you a 'slacker', it just means that the game required you to put more time, attention and effort into it than you were prepared to give, which, again, I entirely empathise with as I've been in that situation myself with other games (the aforementioned Ikaruga, for example - I know I could have beaten it if I wanted to, but the point is I didn't want to, so I stopped playing it).

Essentially, people who say they're 'not good enough' to compete a game, when it comes down to it, simply haven't tried for long enough, and if they don't want to try any more because they're not having a good time, then that's cool, but I think for those people who say they 'can't' complete a game/beat a boss/pass a level, it's more accurate to say that they can't 'yet'.

So much good in these 2 posts, and describe my gaming experience completely.

I simply don't have the time to put into video games that I used to, but I do have the money, and therefore availability of a pile of shame.

Take Cuphead as an example.  It looks amazing and is fun, then it's frustrating, then I just moved onto something else, not because I couldn't do it, but because I value my gaming time, and would rather play something else I enjoy than waste my time grinding away and banging my head on the wall to at improving my skill, especially with me playing games in short bursts of an hour or so max at a time.  Life gets in the way, and it's rare for a game to give an experience that isn't similar enough to another, perhaps simpler game, that I'd enjoy more as I'd make more progress.

Some games are good enough to get past this - Into the Breach I loved, so I kept plugging away, no game in that genre post Advance Wars had sucked me in so much.

Dark Souls (which I played for the first time on Switch) was another, except I did give up as I got fed up of banging my head on the wall, so I guess that's my real answer.

Other games like Enter The Gungeon appealed at first, but was too similar to Binding of Isaac which I'd put a lot of time into, but bored of, probably as I'm preferring story driven experiences nowadays.

Most games have so much content I probably won't finish them anyway...

12 hours ago, Nick R said:

Not a recent example, but the game where I put most time and effort into trying to complete it, but never did, is probably Guitar Hero 3.

In the Rock Band games, after the first few months of playing I rarely found songs challenging to finish on Hard (with a few exceptions), and generally found Expert the most enjoyable difficulty, unless it was a song made up of awkward metal riffs, repetitive painful stretches, or solos full of fast snakes of notes.

But Guitar Hero 3's difficulty was horribly balanced. On Normal it was really boring due to the reduced note colours. But put it on Hard and the latter portion of the game is just a brick wall. 

I find Beat Sabre like this.  Normal mode is too easy, Hard mode, the first 10 songs are fun and challenging, the latter songs are impossible...

13 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Worst example for me is Psychonauts. Fucking great game, loved it all - but couldn't complete a section near the end where you have to jump around the outside of a chain link fence, possibly with fire, I forget. But anyway - I simply couldn't do it, and so I never finished the game. Such a shame.

Edit: This section I think:

13 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Ah, the legendary Meat Circus. You're not alone there my friend! 

13 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Just to make you feel better . My youngest son completed that game . When he was 10

You might want to go back and have another crack at it if you have a digital copy, Meat Circus has been patched to actually be possible to beat by humans.

Hollow Knight.

I just can't beat the third of the three boss thingies I need to beat. I spent 20 hours circling the map to get stuff for upgrades and returned. Still can't even get close to beating it.

Hollow Night beat me recently. 

But only because i found it utterly dull. Especially coming from the other metroidvania that is Bloodstained (which i bloody loved). Shame as i heard really good things about it. 

Not sure if it's a spoiler or not really but the Hollow Knight DLC boss

Nightmare King Grimm.

I think I did about all of the other hard stuff in the game but I fuck-thatted out of there after a couple of attempts at him.

4 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Also Persona 4: Golden beat me - I had completed it on the PS4 so rather foolishly decided to do the new play through on the hardest difficulty. I got a fair bit in, but the amount of grinding required is ridiculous (not sure it's even possible!)

Even I get bodied by P4G's harder difficulties, so there's no shame in that. It can be fun to have a high-level NG+ save though, because then you can change the difficulty whenever you like and play around with the battles. :D 

I'm taking 'beat me' to mean I've reached a skill ceiling. It hasn't bored me to the point of quitting, nor have I stopped playing it. I just know I've maxed out my abilities and I'm now playing for other reasons.

Nex Machina has beat me. I won't get any better at it (and I'm not great as it is). I go back just for the synaptic rush, which is as good as it gets.

Personally I have a problem with the sunk cost fallacy, once I've attempted something many times I have to keep trying, no matter how frustrated I get, to the point where I end up with bad memories of a game I once liked.

Trials Rising beat me though, I found the last couple of extreme tracks impossible (i couldn't get past the first obstacle on Inferno V), let alone the ninja ones.

5 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

So now if you can't finish a soulbourne you are mental? Nice work...

I didn't say that though, did I? Have another read of my post, please.

3 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Not sure if it's a spoiler or not really but the Hollow Knight DLC boss

Reveal hidden contents

Nightmare King Grimm.

I think I did about all of the other hard stuff in the game but I fuck-thatted out of there after a couple of attempts at him.

The ship has probably already sailed now, but I'd urge you to give him another go. He's tough, definitely, but it's a magic feeling when you do finally beat him, and actually learning the moveset and watching yourself get a little better each time is pretty damn addictive. I found the skill that allows you to move whilst healing invaluable.

Fallout 4.

I've finished 3 and NV and any number of similar games but I've reached a point in F4, not even super that far in I suspect where every quest just leads to enemies who splat me dead.  I'm obviously missing something that 3 or NV didn't teach me or I didn't listen but I appear to be pea shooter against nuclear missiles with everything going and twice I've come back to it after months out, ran into that brick wall and given up.

On 14/01/2020 at 21:02, Robo_1 said:

What's the last game that beat you? Not the last game that got a bit tricky and you gave up on, or the last game that you got bored of and moved on from, but the last game you really, truly wanted to reach the end of, but had to throw in the towel due to the challenge it presented.

In my experience this doesn't happen so much anymore, as most games are designed to be completed and checkpoints are there to largely ensure that with enough commitment, you'll make it over the line. I imagine the Souls games will make the list for many and indeed, the previous game I failed to complete to the one I'm about to name, would be Bloodborne, where multiple afternoons sunk into the Blood-Starved Beast yielded no victory, so I eventually gave in.

The game I'm pretty much on the verge of giving up on, is the absolutely fantastic Valfaris. It's a fantastic linear 2D action game which I'm playing on the Switch, but is available on pretty much everything. It's less intense than Contra and has a greater focus on platforming, but it truly has been an epic 15hrs I've put into it. Now however, I have reached a boss, a skeleton caked in jelly looking thing, which surprisingly, seems about to best me. I've sunk close to four hours into him now and I feel that I'm passed my peak performance.

Over time I may well to return to it, maybe watch a few YouTube videos for tactical hints, but this is the first game in a long time which I might not see the end of, for no other reason than my own lack of ability and it got me thinking as to how often that happens to folks these days. So over to you. :)

I love(d) Valfaris, but some of the bosses are cheap as all heck. That particular one was a hurdle for a while but there are a few later on that get even more unfair. I would recommend having a look at some videos for strategies if you need to as the environments get even cooler as the game goes on. Just avoid the smug gits doing no-damage runs with original non-upgraded equipment ;)

Oh, and for that jelly boss in particular: 

Spoiler

make sure you stay well away when you finally beat him. I did, after many tries, only for him to explode and kill me :( Then took me loads more to kill him again. He's not the only one with that trick either...

And I haven't finished it either, actually, but that was due to it being a review so had to stop at the embargo and then got distracted by other games. Need to get stuck back in soon.