rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Robo_1

The Last Game That Beat You?

What's the last game that beat you? Not the last game that got a bit tricky and you gave up on, or the last game that you got bored of and moved on from, but the last game you really, truly wanted to reach the end of, but had to throw in the towel due to the challenge it presented.

In my experience this doesn't happen so much anymore, as most games are designed to be completed and checkpoints are there to largely ensure that with enough commitment, you'll make it over the line. I imagine the Souls games will make the list for many and indeed, the previous game I failed to complete to the one I'm about to name, would be Bloodborne, where multiple afternoons sunk into the Blood-Starved Beast yielded no victory, so I eventually gave in.

The game I'm pretty much on the verge of giving up on, is the absolutely fantastic Valfaris. It's a fantastic linear 2D action game which I'm playing on the Switch, but is available on pretty much everything. It's less intense than Contra and has a greater focus on platforming, but it truly has been an epic 15hrs I've put into it. Now however, I have reached a boss, a skeleton caked in jelly looking thing, which surprisingly, seems about to best me. I've sunk close to four hours into him now and I feel that I'm passed my peak performance.

Over time I may well to return to it, maybe watch a few YouTube videos for tactical hints, but this is the first game in a long time which I might not see the end of, for no other reason than my own lack of ability and it got me thinking as to how often that happens to folks these days. So over to you. :)

• Upvote 8

Sekiro.

That bloody ape!! I tried and tried and tried, in the end I had to call it a day. I was enjoying the game's challenge up that point. But that was the end for me, that sodding ape defeated me.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sekiro.

That bloody ape!! I tried and tried and tried, in the end I had to call it a day. I was enjoying the game's challenge up that point. But that was the end for me, that sodding ape defeated me.

That bit was fine, it was just the shock of seeing the Statue of Liberty stuck in the sand that really caused me to give up.

Damn, dirty apes.

• Upvote 5

Sekiro. I should love everything about it, but the individual parts add up to something that's way too difficult for me. I gave up because I had to admit I was just never going to beat it - I knew exactly what I was supposed to do and how to do it, but I just didn't have the skills. It was never going to happen.

This is going to sound daft, but in March of last year I picked up Fight'n Rage and for some reason I just didn't have it in me to put it on the baby difficulty or use all of my continues, so I never saw more than about half of the game due to me being stubborn... :blush: 

I haven't thrown in the towel yet, but I know I will eventually - Tetris Effect. Instead of chasing the real goal of improving my Effect mode ranks I went to try and S/SS rank Journey mode on beginner. I can do that now, so there is evidence that I have improved to some degree. I guess I'll do the same on normal to stave off the inevitable end.

Bloodborne is currently on the 'abandoned' pile. Can't say I was defeated by it because I took out Gascoigne successfully, but the effort broke my will to continue. Hopefully I'll jump back in soon.

#humblebrag, but I don't think I've ever really experienced this. I came close with Sekiro, before Gen A, in fact, when I was still in a defensive DS mindset and kept trying to dodge roll, but once I got through that I knew I would be able to do it.

DSII's DLC bosses took some doing - those fucking tigers - and DSIII's as well - that fucking cauldron fucker and his invisible fucking girlfriend - but ultimately they're all doable with enough practice.

Cuphead last year was also another definite test, but again, once you get past a certain point (the dragon boss, for me) then you know that you can see it through to the end of you have the willpower to.

Therein lies the rub, I feel: to say you don't have 'enough skill' or 'fast enough reactions' to beat a game is a fallacy; unless you literally have some sort of physical or mental disability, then you just haven't practised enough, or in the right way. You have to weigh up how much time you're willing to put aside for practice vs how much you're actually enjoying the challenge. Every game can be beaten, but it's up to you to decide whether you're willing to put the time in or not. Certainly, there have been times where I've thought to myself 'I know I could do that if I spent X numbers of hours practising, but I can't bothered and/or I don't think it'll be worth it, so I won't' (Ikaruga springs to mind), but I don't think that's necessarily the same as a game 'beating' you.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Worst example for me is Psychonauts. Fucking great game, loved it all - but couldn't complete a section near the end where you have to jump around the outside of a chain link fence, possibly with fire, I forget. But anyway - I simply couldn't do it, and so I never finished the game. Such a shame.

Edit: This section I think:

@Jamie John So, because you’ve overcome every gaming challenge you’ve chosen to, those who can’t beat any and every game either have a physical or mental disability or are just ‘slackers’?

Okay.

• Upvote 1

Not a recent example, but the game where I put most time and effort into trying to complete it, but never did, is probably Guitar Hero 3.

In the Rock Band games, after the first few months of playing I rarely found songs challenging to finish on Hard (with a few exceptions), and generally found Expert the most enjoyable difficulty, unless it was a song made up of awkward metal riffs, repetitive painful stretches, or solos full of fast snakes of notes.

But Guitar Hero 3's difficulty was horribly balanced. On Normal it was really boring due to the reduced note colours. But put it on Hard and the latter portion of the game is just a brick wall. I survived One and Raining Blood (somehow), but then it's time to hit the final boss battle: The Devil Went Down to Georgia.

It's a hard enough track even in Practice mode, but in Career it's a boss battle so you have to contend with Lou (the Devil) throwing all sorts of modifiers (inverted controls, flashing notes, note doublers, etc) at you. And it's not enough to just survive the track - you have to do well enough to acquire those modifier bonuses and use them to attack Lou at the optimal time to win.

Here's a video of a 6 year old kid completing it on Expert about a month after the game came out in 2007:

And here's a video of an annoying Twitch streamer doing a full combo of the song (not the boss battle!) on Expert at 120% speed. :hmm:

41 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Worst example for me is Psychonauts. Fucking great game, loved it all - but couldn't complete a section near the end where you have to jump around the outside of a chain link fence, possibly with fire, I forget. But anyway - I simply couldn't do it, and so I never finished the game. Such a shame.

Edit: This section I think:

Just to make you feel better . My youngest son completed that game . When he was 10

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Sekiro. I should love everything about it, but the individual parts add up to something that's way too difficult for me. I gave up because I had to admit I was just never going to beat it - I knew exactly what I was supposed to do and how to do it, but I just didn't have the skills. It was never going to happen.

I haven't really read the thread, so it's a surprise to see how many people had to give up in Sekiro - even the mighty Gerbik.

I know it has a rep for being though as nails, but I'm going through Bloodborne right now, and enjoying every minute so far, so I was looking forward to giving Sekiro a try after that. Reading all this makes me doubt I should as I tend to summon help during a lot of the Soulsborne boss-fights. Mostly because of time constraints though.

It's not due to difficulty, so perhaps doesn't belong here, but it's definitely the most recent game which has 'defeated' me despite a strong desire to complete it: Resident Evil 2. A remake of a game I love, lovingly made, gorgeously recreated, but just too terrifying for me to complete. I was fine until Mr X appeared, but his unavoidable, unpredictable appearance were just too much for me. Had to nope out of it :(

• Empathy 5

Great topic. 

For me the answer could have been Hollow Knight. At some point after doing in the Mantis Lords I remember reaching a boss - can’t remember which now, ironically, but it involved a lengthy trek back from the closest bench to start the fight again - and thinking ‘nope, this is as far as we go on this adventure, it’s impossible’. But the game just had that elusive spark, that faint glimmer of hope through improvement, that I managed to persevere, press on and win the day. 

The real answer is Into the Breach. Every game I’d get as far as the last or second to last island and it would all go to pot very, very rapidly. By this point I’d be spending 10, 15 minutes just planning the next move, trying to imagine every possible enemy movement and outcome, choosing the least worst option - spending at least an hour on 3 turns. I’d commit the move and of course some little bugger would pull an attack that I never saw coming, sending the whole plan down the shitter, an hour of my life I’d never get back. Sure, I knocked the difficulty down to easy, but it felt like a hollow victory. I finally had to admit to myself that I was too stupid and unobservant to truly beat the game. 

There’s also the barrel from Sonic 3, of course...

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, jonamok said:

@Jamie John So, because you’ve overcome every gaming challenge you’ve chosen to, those who can’t beat any and every game either have a physical or mental disability or are just ‘slackers’?

Okay.

No - not 'slackers'. I don't mean that - I get that people, myself included, play games for fun, not work, and if they stop enjoying the game and don't want to play it any more then it doesn't mean they're 'slacking'.

What I mean is, unless a game is impossible by design, ultimately it can always be completed with enough practice, regardless of the individual, but it's up to the player to decide how much practice they're prepared to put in and weigh it up in comparison to how much fun they're actually finding that practice.

To take your example, you could have beaten Genichiro if you wanted to keep practising - of course you could have - but the point is that you didn't want to keep practising because you didn't find it fun, which is completely understandable, so you stopped. That doesn't make you a 'slacker', it just means that the game required you to put more time, attention and effort into it than you were prepared to give, which, again, I entirely empathise with as I've been in that situation myself with other games (the aforementioned Ikaruga, for example - I know I could have beaten it if I wanted to, but the point is I didn't want to, so I stopped playing it).

Essentially, people who say they're 'not good enough' to compete a game, when it comes down to it, simply haven't tried for long enough, and if they don't want to try any more because they're not having a good time, then that's cool, but I think for those people who say they 'can't' complete a game/beat a boss/pass a level, it's more accurate to say that they can't 'yet'.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I haven't really read the thread, so it's a surprise to see how many people had to give up in Sekiro - even the mighty Gerbik.

I know it has a rep for being though as nails, but I'm going through Bloodborne right now, and enjoying every minute so far, so I was looking forward to giving Sekiro a try after that. Reading all this makes me doubt I should as I tend to summon help during a lot of the Soulsborne boss-fights. Mostly because of time constraints though.

I'd at least give it a go. It's hard, yes, but as I've suggested above, if you enjoy it enough to stick with it then there's a fantastic game there, my GotY for 2019, in fact. It's never anything less than entirely compelling, even if playing it can be somewhat exhausting, but you'll be used to that if you've played Bloodborne, of course. Set sphincters to squeeze!

@Jamie John I hear you, and I disagree.

Forgetting Sekiro (I try to), you’re effectively discounting that some people will always have fundamentally, physiologically slower reactions than others (no matter how much they practise or pattern learn). That isn’t a disability, just the reality of the normal distribution curve.

As mentioned in the thread, Sekiro did beat me with a few of its bosses. I only went back and beat it using outside help from online guides. In that case I could put it down to not wanting to put the time in - spending hours working out boss attack patterns rather than just watching a vid that explained them all. Even then it still felt like an achievement to beat the final boss.

But in other games, I don't think it would matter how much time I put in. Something like Ikaruga is a good example. I've seen what it takes to finish that properly and there's no way I've got the reactions/precision control to do it. I reckon I could practice for months and still not get there.

Well for me two games stick out which allowed me to get right to the last boss but messed me up. Part of this is that I don’t have access to either games anymore so haven’t had chance to put them on and put more time in. One of them id have to start again where as the other id happily keep playing as it’s meant to be played from the start every time. 

The first one one of those is Bangai-O. The last boss you have to spend a few mins getting through that whole stage (which is not easy but I could fly through it with ease once I played it enough times) only to get to the boss and it can kill you in record time of a couple of seconds, putting you back to the start of the level again. 

After a while I noticed I’d sometimes almost kill it but would be taken out by some kind of impossible attack. I have a feeling because it’s was all happening so fast and so many bullets on screen it was very hard to see what was going on but I stopped playing and know that it would mean playing from the beginning again. Not sure if I can be bothered and it’s on the Dreamcast too and mine doesn’t load games anymore. 

The second game is one I played from the beginning every time and def had at least 600 attempts from what I remember the stats read. I made it to the last boss 3 times ever and died in entirely different ways each time. I didn’t want to go online for strategies and did improve over time and loved the game like crazy and would even play it now, but it was on an old laptop and I’ve just not been back for years. That game is Spelunky HD.

The soulsborne games usually beat me, though it's never at a boss. I will go through whatever blood sweat and tears are necessary to defeat whatever boss I get as far as, then be so drained by the experience I can't quite get the mental reserves to start the next area.

Also Persona 4: Golden beat me - I had completed it on the PS4 so rather foolishly decided to do the new play through on the hardest difficulty. I got a fair bit in, but the amount of grinding required is ridiculous (not sure it's even possible!)

Sekiro, and i'm annoyed because I was doing quite well, and its not down to the fact that i couldnt beat the boss (bastard monk on the bridge). I left it a while to play something else, and upon my return, i'd realised id lost all my skills, so the fight was even harder than i remembered.

I know i could have completed Sekiro, and that haunts me to this day.

Maybe one day i will return, and start afresh, and see it through to completion, but today is not that day.

12 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Ah, the legendary Meat Circus. You're not alone there my friend! 

See, I often give up at the last level if the difficulty spikes too much. But I ****ing nailed the Meat Circus level - Psychonauts was one game I wasn't giving up on. The original Driver is the only other game I can recall powering through, however many times I failed, to complete an insane final level.

The other genre that I often end up baling out on are JRPGs - I can't be arsed with a final grind only to be presented with a boss fight...that turns into a regenerated boss fight...that turns into an ULTIMATE FORM boss fight...

Dropped a load of the FF games on DS for that - as well as FFVII on PS, in the deep caves at the end of the world.

13 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Blood borne . That bridge after the village right at the beginning :facepalm:

Snap. Precisely. 

For me it's Bayonetta, I tried getting back into it recently after having it on Switch (I wanted to finish it before starting 2) for a while and enjoyed it and made good progress, wicked weaving and dodging my way through the fights.

Then there comes a bit where you fight Jeanne on a plane, chapter 12 and I just couldn't make any progress with it and the thing that annoyed me the most is that the core game system of dodging isn't really available since you can only witch time dodge certain attacks. I mean I could play another level and build up health potions but it really really annoyed me.

So then I started playing 2 last night and I don't think I can be bothered playing games like this anymore :D