rllmuk
BubbleFish

Worth getting an XBox now?

With this years new consoles on the horizon I was wondering what exclusive content I'd missed on the XBox given I've stuck with the PS4, and if there was enough to "justify" getting a One X this late in the day?

Have the Halo, Gears and Forza games been that good? What other exclusives would anyone recommend? Oh and is GamePass as great as it sounds?

Edit. I should add that it would be for exclusives only given I've been pretty up to date with my third party titles on the PS4.

• Upvote 2

Are there any exclusives you want to play ? 

if yes . Buy one . If not , don’t . I suspect most game pass stuff multi platform stuff you will have played/owned already if the game interested you . 

Whether  You decide to wait until the inevitable price drop is another question 

• Upvote 1

Well, I personally was disapointed by my X in terms of performance (I bought it at launch), it felt more like another stop gap like the S. Games wise, with it been Microsoft, you are better off investing in a good PC as pretty much all the games can be played on PC at higher res and more importantly 60fps.

Wait.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

With this years new consoles on the horizon I was wondering what exclusive content I'd missed on the XBox given I've stuck with the PS4, and if there was enough to "justify" getting a One X this late in the day?

Have the Halo, Gears and Forza games been that good? What other exclusives would anyone recommend? Oh and is GamePass as great as it sounds?

Edit. I should add that it would be for exclusives only given I've been pretty up to date with my third party titles on the PS4.

You could get it now, enjoy it and upgrade to whatever new Xbox system that suits you in a couple of years? Likely trade in the Xbox One X to get some money off the newer machine. 

I personally usually get a next Gen console 1 year after release, around Black Friday time and will be doing so again. At that point the thing is no longer in that "new tech" zone of over pricing and has a fair amount of software on the go. 

10 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Someone asked this very question not long ago I think but the mobile search isn't showing me shit. Can anyone else remember and find it?

Sorry if this is the case. I had a search and couldn't find anything either.

1 minute ago, BubbleFish said:

Sorry if this is the case. I had a search and couldn't find anything either.

Nonono, I wasn't having a go I just remember someone asking and thought it would help . It could be buried in the Xbox thread actually.

Nope, can't find it. I must be going spare.

ANYWAY, it depends what you want from it. Personally I think Game Pass is worth it simply by having such variety of games available to you from the get go. The exclusives on Xbox aren't anything to really shout about if you haven't been bothered before now (except Forza Horizon 4 which is exceptional). The early access program has some nuggets in there that get to PS4 eventually, but are usually on PC before Xbox so if you have a PC capable of it they're most likely in steam sales frequently.

I think people are right about getting an X at this point. The new one will be out at the end of the year and I'd be surprised if it isn't totally backwards compatible (which I think they've said as such anyway) so an X solely for exclusives doesn't seem necessary. Besides, the way I look at these things is if you've got to think about it you don't really want it :P

I only got an Xbox One S in September and have absolutely loved it since then. Game Pass has greatly changed how I purchase games now and play games in fact.

• Upvote 1

You've just missed the January sales deals on the One X so I'd say it isn't worth bothering with if you think there's a good chance you'll end up buying a Series S(people are using that name for the rumoured lower spec right?) or X this winter. 

Fake Edit: That said loser spec originally. No way that'd cause fights. 

I'd recommend buying a cheaper digital only one and trying Gamepass for a month or two before splashing out on an X. Just because you have access to hundreds of games doesn't mean you play them all. Of the exclusives available on GP You have Gears/Forza/Halo and a lot of it, Sea of Thieves will either captivate or frustrate you, Crackdown 3 is fun but forgettable. Unless you've played every game this gen GamePass will scratch whatever gaming itch you have or broaden your gaming palette. It will offer you more games than you'll ever need or have time to play. Gamepass is now just a matter of waiting until the game you were going to buy appears and if it doesn't you will have something else to distract you. 

You'll spend more time browsing it than playing though. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Would this be your first Xbox of any type? If I’m honest then either way with backwards compatibility and the game pass  “ultimate deal of the century” for a quid offer (it really is insane value) then I’d be very surprised if you didn’t find plenty of stuff on there to get your teeth into. And yes, Halo, Gears and Firza really are all v good. If your happy with the cost of the hardware outlay then the gaming side of it’s gonna cost you bugger all, oh and there will be games on gamepass that you then wouldn’t have to spend money on for the PS4 version too so I’d say go for it :)

8 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Are you sure you have exhausted all the big hitters on PS4?

I'm kinda conflicted between saying leave it 12 months, play more ps4 and get a series X at xmas or get an all digital version and gamepass. 

Honestly, the exclusives aren't very good, and there is only 11 of them.

Crimson Dragon not tried it.

Dance Central Spotlight 5/10 - my daughter liked it for a week or so.

Fighter Within - not tried it.

Forza Motorsport 5 - was like an annoying episode of Top Gear that wouldn't let you fast forward past Clarkson speaking and it's genuinely Clarkson speaking.

Fru (video game) not tried it.

Halo 5: Guardians 7/10 nothing wrong with it except the fact the series leaves me cold.

Kinect Sports Rivals - 6/10 was quite fun for an afternoon.

Powerstar Golf - 2/10 rubbish

Rare Replay - 3/10 a bunch of Rare Games from the Xbox 360, we all played them and decided they were average then, but then they released them as a collection.

Shape Up (video game) not tried it

Xbox Fitness not tried it.

The other's like Sunset Overdrive etc can be played on a pretty average pc/laptop.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Honestly, the exclusives aren't very good, and there is only 11 of them.

Crimson Dragon not tried it.

Dance Central Spotlight 5/10 - my daughter liked it for a week or so.

Fighter Within - not tried it.

Forza Motorsport 5 - was like an annoying episode of Top Gear that wouldn't let you fast forward past Clarkson speaking and it's genuinely Clarkson speaking.

Fru (video game) not tried it.

Halo 5: Guardians 7/10 nothing wrong with it except the fact the series leaves me cold.

Kinect Sports Rivals - 6/10 was quite fun for an afternoon.

Powerstar Golf - 2/10 rubbish

Rare Replay - 3/10 a bunch of Rare Games from the Xbox 360, we all played them and decided they were average then, but then they released them as a collection.

Shape Up (video game) not tried it

Xbox Fitness not tried it.

The other's like Sunset Overdrive etc can be played on a pretty average pc/laptop.

What if he doesn't have a PC?   How many "exclusives" can he play?

EDIT: Can you list them with a mini gooner review too please?   I like this format. 

Just now, rafaqat said:

What if he doesn't have a PC?   How many "exclusives" can he play?

I'd buy a cheap PC, honestly the Microsoft Exclusives are built to an Xbox One Baseline so can run on a toaster, I've played Sunset Overdrive on a 7 year old laptop.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Deary me. A new standard of insecure shit posting, A new forum low, Well done!

Plus your copy of Rare Replay is different to everyone elses. But it's probably the case you haven't even tried it.

What a god awful standard of poster we have on here.

• Empathy 2

37 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I'd buy a cheap PC, honestly the Microsoft Exclusives are built to an Xbox One Baseline so can run on a toaster, I've played Sunset Overdrive on a 7 year old laptop.

a “cheap” pc is £300 at a minimum. May as well buy a one x at that point.  Or just save it for the series x at Xmas and get the most powerful console. 

I have to disagree with gooner on one point in particular: Rare Replay is genuinely fantastic, a lovely tribute to a fascinating developer. The up-specced 360 games are of course good (Nuts & Bolts with less-awful performance is a highlight), but the sheer breadth and quality of their older backlog makes it worthwhile alone, particularly with the lovely little bitesized versions of each game that are included alongside them, allowing you to get, say, a real appreciation for the appeal of Jetpac without needing to slog through the game from start to finish.

I would agree that, otherwise, exclusives are something of a weakness for the Xbox; there are few 'true' exclusives thanks to most coming to PC, and what is there is generally a bit uninspiring. But if you don't already have a gaming PC then the Bone X makes a lot of sense, giving you guaranteed rock-solid performance for a very reasonable price. And then there's Gamepass which, again, if you don't have a gaming PC already works out as fantastic value.

The other primary reason to consider one is a bit more niche, but it's what makes me particularly fond of mine: the backwards compatibility. Though incomplete, there's a very good selection of 360 games that will not only run, but run better on Xbox One X; but really the stars of the show for me are the (sadly notably smaller) selection of backward compatible original Xbox games. For me the console justifies itself solely on the grounds of offering the best possible experience of Panzer Dragoon Orta. But again, that's not going to be of interest to everyone, so may not feed into your decision.

Short version: don't have a gaming PC, and/or have a yen to play your old 360 and original Xbox games in nice-o-vision? Worth it. Otherwise? Maybe not.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Revival said:

Deary me. A new standard of insecure shit posting, A new forum low, Well done!

Plus your copy of Rare Replay is different to everyone elses. But it's probably the case you haven't even tried it.

What a god awful standard of poster we have on here.

You’re the insecure one, if I’m a fanboy I’m doing it wrong because I’ve spent a shit ton of money on the Xbox since the very first one, I just don’t think Microsoft have made a good game yet. Gears of War aside but that was Epic Games.

As for Rare Replay, I didn’t play it much but I did play it as per the screenshot.

Banjo and PDZ were average on the 360 it didn’t do much for me getting to play them again but on the Xbox One.

31DE6443-A04C-4580-A1C5-2B9FA4F0FA14.png

• Downvote 5

Or have a decent telly and would like to play in hdr, which isn’t a PC strength.

The “no exclusives if you have a PC” trope is getting a bit old though. 

• Upvote 1

All Microsoft first party games are coming out on PC now, is it really still a talking point that their exclusives aren't just relegated to their consoles anymore? Plenty of us don't have or want a gaming PC (or a PC at all for that matter).

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

You’re the insecure one, if I’m a fanboy I’m doing it wrong because I’ve spent a shit ton of money on the Xbox since the very first one, I just don’t think Microsoft have made a good game yet. Gears of War aside but that was Epic Games.

As for Rare Replay, I didn’t play it much but I did play it as per the screenshot.

Banjo and PDZ were average on the 360 it didn’t do much for me getting to play them again but on the Xbox One.

31DE6443-A04C-4580-A1C5-2B9FA4F0FA14.png

To not find the other twenty eight games on Rare Replay probably indicates you're doing something a bit wrong.

To spend money on three generations of hardware over some fifteen years just so you can say you can't find a single game you like on a forum for appreciating games is not the action of someone who typically enjoy's videogames.

Coming out with gems like this:

All you're doing is embarassing yourself and taking the forum down with you. If you're not happy with the exclusives coming out on PC you can always stop buying the consoles but for those of us who choose to only game on consoles they will always be console exclusives.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, footle said:

Or have a decent telly and would like to play in hdr, which isn’t a PC strength.

Thankfully something which is becoming less of an issue. FH4 maxed out at a locked 4K/60FPS on a OLED is a sight to behold.

• Upvote 1

If you time it right you could probably get some mega bargain on the Xbox One X.  Don't get a digital only S, even if you're just curious about Game Pass.

1 hour ago, Revival said:

To not find the other twenty eight games on Rare Replay probably indicates you're doing something a bit wrong.

To spend money on three generations of hardware over some fifteen years just so you can say you can't find a single game you like on a forum for appreciating games is not the action of someone who typically enjoy's videogames.

Coming out with gems like this:

All you're doing is embarassing yourself and taking the forum down with you. If you're not happy with the exclusives coming out on PC you can always stop buying the consoles but for those of us who choose to only game on consoles they will always be console exclusives.

By me not enjoying Rare Replay and pointing out the fact that Microsoft Game Studios have not been good enough I'm impacting your enjoyment of your Xbox am I? and I'm not embarrasing myself at all, Uncharted 2 and 3 are two of the most critically acclaimed games ever, name me a better game than either of them that's on Gamepass? you cant.

Grow up, stop being a man baby, I've paid my money, I continue to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold via GamePass Ultimate, I've been a Gold member since the beta, this isn't some fanboy shit, I just find Microsoft's output this generation to be not good enough.

And I couldn't care less where the games get released, I just care if they're good or not.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2