rllmuk
Robo_1

E3 2020 - Sony Not Attending

So it sounds like E3 is in a spot of trouble, as Sony announce that for the second year on the run, Playstation will not be attending. I think many people understood that last year, Sony had very little to show as they prepared for PS5 and so they didn't want to feel forced to put on a strained 90 minute show, but this year, the year which will see the launch of PS5, their snub spells real trouble for the show and its significance in the gaming calendar.

The firm told GamesIndustry.biz that it does not feel the vision for the event is right for what it has planned for this year. Instead it will attend 'hundreds' of consumer events to showcase upcoming games for PS4 and PS5. 

"After thorough evaluation SIE has decided not to participate in E3 2020," said a Sony Interactive Entertainment spokesperson. "We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year.

"We will build upon our global events strategy in 2020 by participating in hundreds of consumer events across the globe. Our focus is on making sure fans feel part of the PlayStation family and have access to play their favorite content. We have a fantastic line up of titles coming to PlayStation 4, and with the upcoming launch of PlayStation 5, we are truly looking forward to a year of celebration with our fans."

PlayStation has used E3 as the place to unveil details of its next consoles since the very beginning, attending the first E3 in 1995 to detail the US launch of the original PlayStation. The company's success at E3 2013 was viewed as a major moment in the build-up to PS4, which resulted in Sony reclaiming its market leadership from Xbox.

However, E3 organiser the ESA has struggled to satisfy all of its members who have been split over what they want the show to be. Some publishers such as EA and Sony want to see E3 become a fan celebration of games, whereas others would rather the event remained an industry-focused affair. 

The ESA has tried to satisfy both groups by introducing some consumer elements to E3, but with limited success.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-11-playstation-will-not-participate-in-e3-2020

• Empathy 1

Like the article said, you could see the logic last year - but this year, with the PS5 here? Seems crazy. Even though I think the importance of E3 for normal people is massively overstayed, industry hype and goodwill isn't, and it doesn't feel like Sony is working hard to gather much of that.

• Upvote 2

I figured E3 was all about getting featured in news elsewhere. More a marketing thing than anything useful.  I get that Sony didn't have any games last year to show.  Well not enough but this year?   Maybe their first parties aren't ready to show anything still.   Lots of smaller consumer showings probably won't get the same coverage.  That and I'm sure their competitirs will be doing that too as well as E3.   Maybe they're waiting on MS to make the first move and adjust their strategy as required.  Worked well for them last gen as they watched the DRM talk blow up in MS's face and decided that's not the route they were going.    Or copy any innovations like they did with motion controls from Nintendo?   Shame.  E3 reveals are always fun.

I imagine the idea will be to try to create headlines about PS5 during less news heavy times so it’s not competing for attention E3 week. It’s also possible that it doesn’t fit well with their release schedule this year? Either way it’s very disappointing and seems like a bad news from a PR perspective.  

• Upvote 2

Nintendo do attend. They're on the show floor as usual, they just don't have a stage show any more. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Nintendo and EA still not attending too, right? So why is it suddenly "Sony are dooooooomed!"

I don't think either of those companies are releasing new consoles this year unless you know something I don't.

And Nintendo is there, as always.

Either this is a sign that Sony is doomed or that E3 is doomed. We all have been saying that E3 is inevitably doomed for years, so I don't know why it's suddenly been turned around. I think Sony will be fine, you don't need E3 at all to get eyes on your products nowadays. Even Microsoft will most likely do a dedicated proper reveal event for the XseX before E3, whether they attend or not.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Hubris? Gotta say, that's what it smacks of from Sony. Either that, or they have have a PS5 with no games. 

Nah, E3 has been dying for a while now.

This just hastens the death of it.

• Empathy 1

19 Shitbags.

Negged by upset Sony fans who also suspect they have nothing to show and were hoping for a triumphant E3 return.

Can we change the topic title to "Xbox wins E3"  ?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 22
  • Empathy 2

Maybe Sony want to avoid the usual "[Company X] won E3" bullshit. Instead they can get full attention on PS5 when they want. Is there really a need for E3 anymore? I can see Nintendo not really bothering in years to come.

Disappointing and potentially a sign of the old PS3-era Sony coming back. But I’m still hopeful they’ll be back next year once PS5 is actually released and market share is up for grabs again.

I thought hating E3 was a Shaun Laden thing but he’s gone now so obviously the rest of the company agreed. 

You share the spotlight if you’re the front runner and think you’re obviously going to win (cf. all U.K. election debate discussions in the last decade), or if you’re the challenger and want to look like a front runner.

Presumably they don’t think they’d obviously win.

I suspect they just want all eyes on them whenever/wherever they properly reveal the PS5 and software, which makes sense. Why split attention between themselves and Microsoft. Basically the main reason the Directs throughout the year became a thing rather than everything being saved for E3 reveals. 

Also probably saves them a whole bunch of costs, better to spend that money on the more consumer focused events.

1 hour ago, Hylian said:

Maybe Sony want to avoid the usual "[Company X] won E3" bullshit.

Possibly.  I mean they've been drubbed in the last few by MS.

• Downvote 2
  • Empathy 2

9 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

I suspect they just want all eyes on them whenever/wherever they properly reveal the PS5 and software, which makes sense. Why split attention between themselves and Microsoft. Basically the main reason the Directs throughout the year became a thing rather than everything being saved for E3 reveals. 

Also probably saves them a whole bunch of costs, better to spend that money on the more consumer focused events.

E3 spend is a drop in the ocean of marketing spend I'd imagine for these guys.  I think it's about not going up against MS and likely a more powerful console. With no price reveal at E3 the news cycle and public perception would then be that MS have the better console and it's a harder thing to turn around than just not showing anything at E3.   Smaller shows across the year will mean less chance of coverage by the non gaming press and a little more understanding around the likely lower price point for their (allegedly) weaker console.  

I think its a damage limitation thing.  All Sony have to do is not majorly look way behind MS and they'll have a decent launch and first year sales.  After that they'd carry on the juggernaut. If the narrative becomes "Ps5 weak vs Xbox Series X" and it's beaten soundly on numbers at launch then that's got a knock on effect on exclusives and who treats their platform as the lead platform which then has a knock on effect on post year 1 sales.  Hard to turn that around.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

39 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Disappointing and potentially a sign of the old PS3-era Sony coming back. But I’m still hopeful they’ll be back next year once PS5 is actually released and market share is up for grabs again.

I thought hating E3 was a Shaun Laden thing but he’s gone now so obviously the rest of the company agreed. 

E3 will continue to evolve I hope and they'll all agree it's a good thing again. Especially once the consoles have already lauched and it's all about the games again.

As disappointing as it is, you can't really blame Sony when they're perfectly capable of reaching national news pages, create a gaggle of memes and break Twitter from just presenting a logo.

For videogames, marketing has become a much larger house than trade shows provide. Consumer games conventions, social media, and existing console ecosystems (like digital storefronts) do a lot more legwork to get people invested than renting out an entire theatre for half a day, and then a third of a show floor for half a week along with all the logistical nonsense that brings.

30 seconds of PS5 Souls will show up on Facebook and that will do more good than what a lot of enthusiasts consider 'winning' E3. Hopefully, ESA can shift towards championing the industry as a whole - great publishers like Annapurna and Devolver, and all manner of mildly budgeted videogames can have their time in the sun with journalists looking for the next big thing and have already covered the console reveals.

• Upvote 5

I don't care about console wars or any of that stuff, I always end up with all of them anyway. But this does seem to be Sony confirming Xbox will have the power edge. After E3, as has been said in this very thread, there are always winners and loser gifs and hyperbolic talk of who won and lost E3 and if Sony do indeed have a less powerful box than MS this year then the last thing they will want is to come out of E3 with the daft maelstrom of loser gifs etc hanging over their machine. These negatives do tend to translate to websites and news outlets etc too.

They will want to control that power gulf with a more reasoned approach showing the machine's positives and more importantly how good the games will look regardless. This won't happen for them if they attend E3.

So 9.2tf confirmed.

Not that that shit matters but it'll still generate massive online negativity if they have a less powerful box than MS at E3.

• Upvote 1

These replies are cute

”Sony won’t go to E3 cos their console is shit”

uh, ok.

i mean it could just as easily be 

“Sony won’t go to E3 because they don’t want to show their hand, and give MSs shit console a chance to catch up”

but ok...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Siri said:

30 seconds of PS5 Souls will show up on Facebook and that will do more good than what a lot of enthusiasts consider 'winning' E3

It would be great if so and lots of people are assuming Bloodborne 2, but From is about to launch a multiplatform title. One that is most likely to also appear on Ps5 and NextBox. There's no way in hell they're going to fuck themselves over by doing a Bloodborne 2 or whatever PS5 exclusive anytime soon.