IGNORED

Skateboard videos

Boozy The Clown

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 16/08/2020 at 00:01, yakumo said:

Watching skateboarding vids really makes me want to jump back, but I'm in my 30s and there's no chance I can pick it like before.

I started riding half pipe on my longboard in my thirties its totally doable. Then I started rollerskating on ramps in my forties and now I'm landing 540s and front flips :) 

(it does hurt more though)

• 1 month later...

I really love Extra Crispy NYC's videos. They're really raw and perfectly capture the feeling of being a skater in a big city. I've never been to NY but I get so much nostalgia from them, they instantly bring me back to spending endless weekends hanging around the South Bank, St Paul's or Brixton Bowls

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 20/01/2020 at 18:23, Boozy The Clown said:

Skating is beyond Tony Hawk's games, but the reason I'm posting is because the sample being poorly rapped over is driving me mad. Someone please tell me what it is ?

Moby - God Moving Over the Face of the Waters

And Lil Wayne has never rapped poorly in his life, thank you very much. :P

• 2 months later...

Is buying old decks a thing?  I had an awesome Jeff Grosso SC model, and an H-Street Danny Way deck that I adored.  Plus loads of others that I don't remember.

Edit: Sorry, we should move this to the proper skate thread.  Videos... I've been watching a lot of Chad Caruso lately.  He's not the world's most amazing skater, but he's got skills, and he's really affable.  I just love his mini-ramp vids.

• 1 month later...

I just watched the Tony Hawk Pro Skater documentary Pretending I'm a Superman which doesn't really delve into the game's creation but is fun to watch. A lot of it is just different people saying 'this game changed my life'. The most interesting thing is the suggestion that because the game allowed you to do impossible tricks it gave young new skater kids the impression they were possible, expanding the possibilities. Tony Hawk says something like 'I'm sorry but people weren't doing 360 flips into crooked grinds, they just weren't'. I'm sure he said that but that doesn't seem that difficult a trick to me. Obviously i never really skateboarded. I had a skateboard and occasionally stood and rolled on it. 

Jamie Thomas is the most thoughtful skater in the documentary (other than Rodney Mullen as always), he considers every word he says, which was surprising to me, i always imagined him as unhinged. He's the guy with the skinhead and hoodie making outrageous leaps, barely making them. Also the most elusive, could never find interviews with him or profiles. And he would need to consider every word when he's saying that he initially thought Tony Hawk was too wholesome and mainstream and so thought a skateboard game would be cheesy and so didn't want to be in it, then when everyone else agreed he felt he needed to. 

I found some young technical trick prodigy on instagram probably 5 years ago and can't remember his name. He wasn't connecting tricks like Rodney Mullen, something like a 360 flip into darkslide into varial flip is peak amazement to me, but was doing single flip tricks I'd not seen before. I want to find some more now. 

I like this trick walk-through from Tony Hawk, ordered based on his opinion on the increased difficulty of each trick. 

Not the same kid who did a 1080 on a mega ramp? Imagine being 12 years old and you land a trick that's never been achieved before on a mega ramp that is so big it would terrify grown adults. A trick that is one rotation more than what the greatest most legendary vert skater had achieved in his life at the age of 31. Imagine 9 years later being 21 years old and another 12 year old kid does what you did but on a vert ramp. I know being small and more flexible allows for quicker rotations, Tony Hawk doesn't spin with anywhere near the same ease, but still. Tony Hawk's 900 has character as well though, like he's not merely rotating by executing the technique required perfectly but forcing it through sheer will, you can sense the amount of falls it took to nail it. He always looks like he just about makes it, his feet absorbing the landing, his hand trailing. That he covers so much of the vert and doesn't do it straight, it's all so aesthetically pleasing. 

here he is at 48 not even happy about landing it! 

(also i know the ages above aren't accurate, Gui Khary did the 1080 on a vert at 11 last year etc)