rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2019

AS A RESULT OF THE AWARDS, WHICH TOP 20 GAMES DO YOU THINK YOU WILL NOW PLAY?   

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As a non-Switch and non-PC gamer, when that game launched I had no means to play it. It took about three days before I was sick to the back teeth of everyone talking about f**king geese all the time - pictures that make you roll your eyes more like.

From my perspective it was a fad, the gaming equivalent of Gangnam style or that PPAP crap that just caught everyone in a craze. By the time it launched on a platform I owned I already hated it with a passion.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

3 minutes ago, Darwock said:

From my perspective it was a fad, the gaming equivalent of Gangnam style

Spooky: that’s exactly the comparison I was thinking of making - the joke that’s great in the moment but might be looked back on with confusion in years to come. That said, I don’t know the game well enough to be so bold...

7 minutes ago, Darwock said:

As a non-Switch and non-PC gamer, when that game launched I had no means to play it. It took about three days before I was sick to the back teeth of everyone talking about f**king geese all the time - pictures that make you roll your eyes more like.

From my perspective it was a fad, the gaming equivalent of Gangnam style or that PPAP crap that just caught everyone in a craze. By the time it launched on a platform I owned I already hated it with a passion.

Completely agree. I've played a couple of levels and it really isn't anything special. I think it being this high says a lot about the reality of life for a lot of people on this forum where, even though gaming is still a key hobby, very few actually have the time to really invest in many games and have core games that take up 90% of their time. Therefore, the games that will managed to sneak a place in their gaming year are likely to be exactly games like goose game. The future for most gamers is 90% Fortnite/FIFA/cod/Nintendo first party (whichever is their lean) and 10% throwaway, quirky, games and that catch the eye but fade quickly in the memory.

Edit: I'm giving the game one more go this morning, happy to be converted.

• Upvote 1

It made me cackle with maniacal glee at my exploits, which is admittedly not uncommon, but it's as focused and perfectly formed a short experience as Sayonara Wild Hearts.

• Upvote 3

I got pretty bored of it by the end. You're doing kind of the same thing over and over again. They do a really good job on the portrayal though and I can see why people are so enamoured with it.

Maybe I was unlucky with technical hitches in Goose Game. To me it felt very much like the villagers were nothing more than simple but still unreliable AI routines. Trying to set up one of the punchlines only for it to fail repeatedly for reasons that aren't clear tends to ruin the eventual payoff. Watching as villagers randomly change their mind about what they're doing mid-chase spoils the fun of antagonising them. In the end, it reduced a concept based on causing chaos to a series of fussy mechanical problems, which to me undermined its whole purpose. It's more fun when you can improvise your bastardry, but the range of reactions is so limited even that has diminishing returns.

The goose was still my character of the year though, and the final punchline is a cracker.

1 hour ago, Jolly said:

Beyond being quite funny, I thought Goose was pretty shit.

Ha! Have a taste of that medicine. Who's Wiper now, Wiper?!

34e7a86af970ba4d21cf42bbc79e9cd2.jpg.815ff72f73546dfbfb249778dde4b387.jpg

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, imp said:

:omg:

IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING?!

Yes, but that's because it's the best *game* - as shown by the fact that the main thread is still active on a daily basis months and months after launch, and it also qualifies for this years awards because... there's a pending mobile release.

Untitled Goose Game is one concept, playable once. It's not got the repeat play of the likes of the Hitman titles - once you've taken the gardener's hat, there aren't a huge number of interesting ways to get it the next time: shall I turn the sprinkler on, or the tap?

Tetris is an amazing game we've all played hundreds of times.

STS is as broad and varied as each run, and each of the four character types * ascension * relic combinations feels pretty unique. Hence loads of us having multiple hundreds of hours playing it.

Oh wait... Hold on. I think there's been a mistake in my scoring spreadsheet. Watch this space while I consult with my writers. Sorry everyone.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Darwock said:

yep.

Well, this is embarrassing. It turns out one of the games already featured is actually the winner. I'll look into us reviewing the game that got pushed out because of this, but in the meantime one of us will do another take on the actual winner and we'll come back for the other game that was quite high up but that we missed.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 3

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

Well, this is embarrassing. It turns out one of the games already featured is actually the winner. I'll look into us reviewing the game that got pushed out because of this, but in the meantime one of us will do another take on the actual winner and we'll come back for the other game that was quite high up but that we missed.

Slay the Spire is still the best game (Noika might be once it’s properly released)

2 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Is this a work?

No Red Dead Redemption 2 wasn't already featured.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Benny said:

You had one job . 

30 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Well, yes replied Nintendo before casually dropping this banger with all the confidence of the world’s finest butcher at your local sausage festival.

If you came up with this on your own, then bravo sir. If not, thank you for introducing me to such a fine phrase!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

"Disco Elysium is GOTY 2020. Because fuck you, that's why."

- Benny, 2020

Well done to all the entries in the honour roll! Slay The Spire is the only game I didn't have on my list. Because, uh, it was Early Access in 2018 and it was good at that point, anyway.

Providing the rebuttals can be done in a timely manner, I wouldn't mind retreading it via the console release this weekend and writing something. Is there a specific timeline for that at the moment?