rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2019

AS A RESULT OF THE AWARDS, WHICH TOP 20 GAMES DO YOU THINK YOU WILL NOW PLAY?   

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

If Fallen order is in the top 5 it will be the final nail for me . It’s bad enough people getting it wrong and not making death stranding GOTY. But to top it of by making an incredibly average game tarted up with a Star Wars license a top 5 game would be Too much .

Pete, you and I are going to have a serious falling out. :P

• Upvote 1

Death Stranding is by far and away my GOTY, and I found Star Wars to be... fine. It's quite unfinished and a bit of a very poor man's Sekiro. 

I can't agree that Control's combat is lackluster. It's not at all and I'd even go as far as to say that it's combat sandbox is the main draw. 

There is a bit of an idiosyncrasy with it that I noticed early on though, basically you really don't want to be aiming down the sights unless you're shooting at a distinctly far off target. There's a nicely tuned helping of sticky reticle auto aim  when shooting "from the hip" and when ADS there's pretty much none. 

There's loads of combat in the game too. 

Was Max Payne unintentionally funny? I thought that was the whole point of the game. The name alone is a clear pisstake. 

Yeah, the combat in Control works well when you're combining powers and shooting while charging around. It's not like you can just keep chucking stuff around non-stop anyway. It's great as the sort of 'cover shooter' that actually encourages you to get out of cover and get in amongst it. And the guns are equally as important (and satisfying) as your paranormal tricks.

It almost snuck into my top 5 as well, so I guess 6th is just right for me.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I can't agree that Control's combat is lackluster. It's not at all and I'd even go as far as to say that it's combat sandbox is the main draw. 

There is a bit of an idiosyncrasy with it that I noticed early on though, basically you really don't want to be aiming down the sights unless you're shooting at a distinctly far off target. There's a nicely tuned helping of sticky reticle auto aim  when shooting "from the hip" and when ADS there's pretty much none. 

There's loads of combat in the game too. 

2 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Yeah, the combat in Control works well when you're combining powers and shooting while charging around. It's not like you can just keep chucking stuff around non-stop anyway. It's great as the sort of 'cover shooter' that actually encourages you to get out of cover and get in amongst it. And the guns are equally as important (and satisfying) as your paranormal tricks.

It almost snuck into my top 5 as well, so I guess 6th is just right for me.

I don't think I worded things well enough in my write-up - I do like the combat, just not the actual gunplay (though evidently on that point BadgerFarmer and I disagree nonetheless). I find there's something almost unpleasantly lightweight about the shooting in Remedy games - like, guns should feel like they've got a bit of weight to them, and real impact to their shots, but instead they feel like airguns. It's like the movement in their games, in fact - again, that unpleasant feeling of weightlessness.

But that really doesn't matter in Control because if you, like me, don't enjoy the actual shooty-bang-bang stuff, you can distract yourself by running from cover to cover launching objects with gay abandon and generally making a mess; helped by the fact that the combat itself is so easy to get through.

• Upvote 1

I think one minor detail that Resi 2 gets right is swearing. It adds to the sense that Leon and Claire are young, naive types. They've probably never cursed much before, but are using the zombie apocalypse as an excuse to indulge in some naughty language. Besides, how else would you respond to the living dead?

• Upvote 2

My brother got Resi 2 for Xmas and loved it. He said it was really short. I'm gonna give it a go once I've finished my Witcher 3 replay. :)

Resident Evil 2 is rubbish compared to Resident Evil 2. I remember being so excited for it but they really dropped the ball on the A/B campaigns. It was the only part of the game that felt like some higher up at Capcom had come in with a red marker and slashed through ideas that would end up costing them a lot more for little benefit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I wonder how long until it's on Game Pass, what with DMC5 already being on there...

I don’t know, Resi 7 still isn’t on there. 

11 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Untitled Goose Game?

Zelda: Links Awakening?

Contra: Rogue Corps?

:ph34r:

Forgot about UGG. I kind of hope it doesn't win, to be honest. It's a fun diversion while it lasts, but to say it's a better game than some of the others on the list is just silly.

I bet it wins now.

• Upvote 2

My (pretend) money is on Tetris '99 for the top spot what with all the discussion going on over the past year - tips from veteran players, resulting in returning players breaking old habits and probably bringing in new ones along the way. Reminiscent of a certain thread featuring a game where you punch pretend people.

It may just be Tetris - but it's one of the greatest, most accessible games of all time in its finest, purest form to date.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Zael said:

Slay the Spire could actually be in with a chance.

Forgot about that one as well.

It's all to play for going into the top three!

If the top 3 is Slay The Spire, Untitled Goose Game and Tetris 99, this will be the first time smaller, digital only titles have won the top 3 spots over the bigger AAA stuff, won't it? That's awesome if it's true. I hope it is. 

Watch Zelda scupper that now. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Forgot about UGG. I kind of hope it doesn't win, to be honest. It's a fun diversion while it lasts, but to say it's a better game than some of the others on the list is just silly.

I bet it wins now.

If that or 99 ends up being at the top (even as contributors we only have limited information on chart placements until our writeups are due) it would be peak rollmuck. I remember @MW_Jimmy calling Tetris Effect "the most middle-aged game of the year", and 99 getting in would confirm that we're all old men playing the original casual gaming drug. And Goose would be an amusing result for the reason you mentioned. :D 

• Upvote 3