rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2019

AS A RESULT OF THE AWARDS, WHICH TOP 20 GAMES DO YOU THINK YOU WILL NOW PLAY?   

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

That's where the quotes from people in the voting thread come in - I can't get these things written up if I have to rely on even more people getting stuff written, but if people have done their own writeups in the voting thread they get featured in case people have missed them. Unfortunately, not everyone bothers to actually write why they picked their favourite games, so we work with what we're given.

It's fine though, I'm not doing it next year so maybe Luseth can take over :P

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Right, seeing as Gears 5 is the only game we actually weren't positive about, then whichever of you liked the game please pick someone to write me a fully positive rebuttal review now please, at least as long as Wipers, and it'll be featured.

@Luseth or @Treble - please provide the review and it'll be added.

The idea that we are getting snarky and yet your acting the same way because we are just voicing our opinions. I just thought the whole point of this was to celebrate the games of the year. It's not just the negative review of Gears (In fact since I did my vote i'm not sure it would still be in my top 5) but there are the snide comments in a couple of them such as the perversion in Fire emblem and the war crimes denier in dragon quest (note the latter I didn't vote for so it's not that i'm just miffed that the ones I voted for received some negative comments). I don

Maybe I'm missing the point of awards, I just always thought the point was celebrating something rather than pointing out the flaws. Maybe when the oscars are held in the coming weeks we should all be digging up dirt on the nominee's so it can be flagged up when they go up to receive their rewards?

That said, you've openly admitted that's the one game you weren't positive about, so why single it out in the first instance? 

It's fine, I'll bow out, you evidently don't like our comments so I'll just steer clear of your future awards.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 5

The write ups are all fucking superb, print worthy IMO, I love each and every one and appreciate the time and effort gone into what is essentially good free entertainment. 

• Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Can't believe the moaning that some people are being slightly snarky about a game. Jesus.

You can though really, can't you.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Luseth said:

It's fine, I'll bow out, you evidently don't like our comments so I'll just steer clear of your future awards.

I don't have a problem with the comments, my tongue is firmly in my cheek for most of this as well as for the awards. But I would like a positive review of Gears though - I can add it to the other one and it gives another perspective. But people have to actually be willing to help with that if they want something different.

• Upvote 1

If you read between the lines you can also see I loved Dragon Quest XI and that the game definitely doesn't have as many war crime deniers in it as Gears 5.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

I don't have a problem with the comments, my tongue is firmly in my cheek for most of this as well as for the awards. But I would like a positive review of Gears though - I can add it to the other one and it gives another perspective. But people have to actually be willing to help with that if they want something different.

If you are being serious I don't mind giving it a go if @Treble isn't keen. I'm not really much of a writer so it probably won't flow as well as the original post though. I'll give it a go this evening once the little un's gone to bed.

54 minutes ago, Benny said:

Great! 2020 awards are all yours. Full review of Gears 5 tonight please. I'm serious.

Bizarre. Feels a bit like an audition and this is passive-aggression disguised as fair handedness but fuck it, I'm in. Expect a review today or tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Luseth said:

:bye:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Treble said:

Bizarre. Feels a bit like an audition and this is passive-aggression disguised as fair handedness but fuck it, I'm in. Expect a review today or tomorrow!

I'm being genuine - I'd rather people got involved and gave contributions if they have a rebuttal. This stuff is all for fun though, the spirit of the thread isn't so much to celebrate the games as to get a conversation or ideas going on what people think about the games people voted for positive or negative. I'm much more interested in honest appraisals than writing to fit a narrative.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

given we are only doing 20 this year

My sweet summer dream about children.

If only there was another place on the internet I could find a ranked list of the games of the year with a strictly positive write up underneath each entry. 

• Upvote 6

Has no-body ever read rllmuk GOTY stuff before? When Wiper did the whole thing it was absolutely brutal. 

i never agreed with the approach, and it used to wind me right up but have since used it as a learning lesson that not everyone has the same opinion as you and that's fine, even if they are incredibly wrong.  See also every Star Wars thread in the films folder. 

If you didn't have a GOTY thread contributor write a little something about each game then it would just be... a dry list?

• Upvote 7

Just to be clear: I am now accepting contributions for alternative review takes. If anyone wants to do any, send them to me via PM and I will put these in a section of the awards called REBUTTALS, which will be added once the main award categories are over. (Games of the Decade is going to be a separate feature)

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Zael said:

If only there was another place on the internet I could find a ranked list of the games of the year with a strictly positive write up underneath each entry. 

The Grauniad list actually wasn't bad.

38 minutes ago, Zael said:

Imagine being on an internet forum to discuss and give your opinions on things only for people on that forum to pass snide remarks and try to make you feel silly for having an opinion....

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

1 minute ago, Luseth said:

Imagine being on an internet forum to discuss and give your opinions on things only for people on that forum to pass snide remarks and try to make you feel silly for having an opinion....

Holy lack of self awareness, Batman!! 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Luseth said:

Maybe you should feel silly for coming in halfway through something that Benny and co have put a lot of work into and derailing it with this criticism.

If you don't like it then maybe start the discussion after it's finished or in a few months when the planning for 2020 starts up? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Zael said:

Maybe you should feel silly for coming in halfway through something that Benny and co have put a lot of work into and derailing it with this criticism.

If you don't like it then maybe start the discussion after it's finished or in a few months when the planning for 2020 starts up? 

Your first line suggests you haven't read the posts above, I passed comment initially on a post where someone else said a similar thing. I have also said a couple of times and in the initial voting thread that I appreciate the work they put in and generally quite enjoy reading these threads.

Second line - Yes maybe I should have but the thread was already on the topic and I replied to the posts literally immediately before mine.

7 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Had Noita cracked the list I would have offered up a review

Well it's not over yet...

Let's not derail anymore with the spicy Rllmuk flavour arguments, Qazimod is up next with a joyful game of joy...

I for one would like you to tow the corporate line and sanitise all the write ups. 

No, the other thing... have fun with it. 

• Upvote 2

Surely the satirical write ups are the entire point of this thread? I at least look forward to them each year. If I really cared which game Rllmuk voted 8th I could just go through the voting thread and add all the points up myself. The value here is in seeing what Benny at al say. If anything I vote for more sass. 

• Upvote 2

Eurgh, you can see my comments were rushed, so many errors! :facepalm:

Great write-up, Wiper. I thought Control would make the top five to be honest. Did Jedi Fallen order even make the cut? Hmmm. 

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

Eurgh, you can see my comments were rushed, so many errors! :facepalm:

Great write-up, Wiper. I thought Control would make the top five to be honest. Did Jedi Fallen order even make the cut? Hmmm. 

If Fallen order is in the top 5 it will be the final nail for me . It’s bad enough people getting it wrong and not making death stranding GOTY. But to top it of by making an incredibly average game tarted up with a Star Wars license a top 5 game would be Too much .

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1