rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2019

AS A RESULT OF THE AWARDS, WHICH TOP 20 GAMES DO YOU THINK YOU WILL NOW PLAY?   

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't wait for the console release of this. The stellar word of mouth has really sold me on it. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I can't wait for the console release of this. The stellar word of mouth has really sold me on it. 

Yup, my feelings exactly.

Whilst I don't own it myself, I recommended Disco to my dad as he loves anything with detective-y investigation and a rich story/world... and from what I've heard he's been enjoying it a lot. It also helps that it's not some action-combat extravaganza; you can "mess up" in ways, but it's all to do with your own reasoning. Personally I love the idea of stats as characters in their own right, and I think the amount of work that's gone into creating so many variations of scenarios is mind-boggling... :wub: 

• Upvote 2

I would suggest the only reason it's not game of the year is because not enough people have played it yet or even know it exists.

Anyway, Jolly is up next with another criminally low scoring entry..

Great write up. The game gets a bit of a bum rap for being irreverent and overly ironic in a "all sides are a joke" South Park kind of way. But I think that's the wrong takeaway from DE. This game has heart and there is a message of hope underpinning all the whacky, ironic and sometime just depressing stuff you come across. I've never played a game that wants to talk about the things DE wants to talk about. I've never seen a game look at capitalism, communism and liberalism in the way DE does. There's no way it could touch the subjects DE touches without absolute top tier writing and luckily enough DE has it in spades. Oh also it's fucking hilarious. Like laugh out loud funny. When is the last time you laughed out loud playing a game? I did so like 3 times before leaving the first building you start in.

Similar to what BoTW and The Witcher 3 did to open worlds, or back in the day Doom did to the FPS, this is a game changer for narrative based RPGs and to be honest games writing in general. Disco Elysium has raised the bar.

• Upvote 1

Ultimately, Disco Elysium is a game about actually interacting with people. Not just interacting, but engaging with them. And in that sense it has a lot to say about the issues facing the world today. It's as hot and relevant and topical as they come, and the writing is frequently, hilariously, on point, and it understands and plays with what you may be thinking reading it.

EDIT, I should put that in the review, heh

3 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Urging a little caution. On paper it ticked every box for me, but I bounced off it very hard. Someone on here (sorry, forget who) made the point that it was more of a smoke-and-mirrors text adventure than an RPG, which felt bang on with my experience.

• Upvote 2

Beautiful write-up on Sayonara! Echoes precisely my own feelings towards the game which I got round to on December 30th and it blew everything else I've played recently out of the water. There's a moment in the final level that made me actually cheer at the screen. After I finished it I had to go out, and I was genuinely walking about with a goofy grin on my face and a spring in my step :D

I guess the only downside to it is... it kind of ruins a lot of other games for me, because why would I waste time playing anything that didn't make me feel the same way?

I'm sorry - I didn't do any voting :unsure:

• Upvote 3

I need to add some little write-ups to mine, will try and do so this afternoon for the ones I car about, and especially the GotD entries. :)

I'm glad Sayonara Wild Hearts got some recognition. I remember making the thread for it the week it came out and was hoping it wouldn't be overlooked by both Untitled Goose Game and Zelda: Links Awakening, which both came out at the same time. It definitely deserves its placing. 

• Upvote 2

I'd not heard of Sayonara Wild Hearts somehow. Totally getting it based off Jolly's write-up there.

• Upvote 2

Brilliant write up on Sayonara @Jolly. One of my albums of last year, as well. Begin Again and Wild Hearts Never Die are proper punch the air anthems, they remind me of With Every Heartbeat by Robyn, that mix of surging Scandinavian beats and wistful melodies. The medley at the end is utterly jaw dropping. I listened to it this summer up a mountain in the fading sun with a tinnie and I just had to stop and listen and have a good cry. I wasn't sad at all, it was just overwhelming. Eye of Death into Wild Hearts into Dragon Heart into CLAIR DE GODDAMN LUNE. What the hell am I supposed to do with that?! Wonderful stuff. 

• Upvote 2

Sayonara would've made a top 10 for me. Good to see it featuring here. And Astral Chain, even if it's a little lower than it should be.

I still have Death Stranding to start after getting it for Xmas. I've no idea if I'll like it but I'm keen to give it a go. Just need the time for it now.

Baba is You breaks my mind. I've never played another game which makes me feel quite like it does. I really need to go back to it. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Baba is You breaks my mind. I've never played another game which makes me feel quite like it does. I really need to go back to it. 

I completely couldn't play for all the mind breaking. It always seemed a little too much like hard work to me(I recognise the irony in saying this a few short hours after espousing the virtues of Koji's Delivery Service). 

'Delighted' to see that my top two games just managed to sneak into 20th and 19th position. I can only assume that this means that my number 3 game (Ace Combat 7) will be gracing the upper echelons of this list. Really looking forward to waxing lyrical about how great that game is while the very many of you who definitely also voted for it nod along in appreciation!

In other news, I should have the next game up for you all at some point in the nearish future. It turns out that deciding to get tonsillitis wasn't the best idea I'd had all week, and I spent most of this weekend in a stupor and am a bit behind on my writing (hence also the lack of supporting commentary from me on the truly superb Disco Elysium and Sayonara Wildhearts).