rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dumpster

PS4 noisy? Advice thread.

Edit: just to be clear, the point I was trying to make here is that, if you google 'noisy ps4' you get these guides that advise full disassembly of the console and application of thermal pastes etc. I wouldn't dare do any of that, but I learned that is is possible to fix the issue just by hoovering out dust and ignoring the complicated stuff.

I've been using my Xbox as the media player for everything at home because my launch model PS4 sounds like a jet engine and it's distracting. I'd looked online for solutions and read everything from replacing thermal paste to vaccuming the vents and and some of the methods I found were scary.  However today I have fixed the problem with a simple solution I thought I should share.

I'd vaccumed the vents from the outside many times, but today I took the bottom of the outside case off and there is a whole side to the air vents that you don't see from outside and holy shit they were filthy.  I used a handheld vac on the lowest setting and could not quite believe how much dust was there, especially having tried to clean it from the outside.

To cut a long story short, my ps4 was noisy and would get louder during gameplay.  I've had it running for an hour now on Yakusa and the loudest it has been is the quietest it was before.

Edit: i was going to type out the method but it is this here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/clean-dust-playstation-4/

However, I did a lot less work than they did.  I only removed the three screws from the back of the console, gently prised up the cover and then gently hoovered the  vent holes around the perimiter of the console. I didn't want to risk not being able to put things back together so I didn't remove the power supply, or do any other steps.  The whole process took five minutes and has made a massive improvement.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I have the same noise problem with my PS3 and cleaning didn't really help. I also replaced the fan and added new thermal paste and it was still unbearably loud. The final resort was opening up and applying paste underneath the CPU which I've still not had the courage to do. Then again I haven't really used it since. One of these days.

35 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

tldr: make sure you do the dusting.

Lived in this house for 10 years and it has never needed dusting. Turns out all the dust and dirt from every room gets sucked into the PS4 every time i switch it on. As well as dust, I found 48p in loose change, a biro and a furry boiled sweet.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

My original PS4 was so loud playing Resi 2 remake that I straight up bought a PS4 slim, which sorted the problem for a couple hundred quid

It's probably worth taking the top off and cleaning the fan out with moist cotton buds, as well as any dust that's accumulated in the HDD bay too. It's not a particularly scary operation. 

If you've had it since launch - dust conducts heat, and it will build up on the motherboard / chips over time too (such is the nature of airflow). If problems persist it's probably worth doing the thermal paste, but while you're at it you should clean the board / chips with a combination of cotton buds and isopropyl. Never use a vacuum on a PCB unless you're feeling particularly lairy.

This even applies to other consoles built purely from the finest fairy shit and unicorn tears.

22 hours ago, Malc said:

My original PS4 was so loud playing Resi 2 remake that I straight up bought a PS4 slim, which sorted the problem for a couple hundred quid

Looks like buying a handheld vac might have been cheaper!

I had this issue recently and used a cotton bud to wipe / pull out stray dust from the grooves on the left and right of the machine (I didn't realise there were vents there too.)

Ten minutes work made a massive difference to the fan noise.

my pro has been sounding insanely loud lately especially playing MW.

opened it all up and my fan had some dust but nothing excessive, so presumed its the thermal paste, ordered  some Decent paste, rubbing alcohol and the correct security driver and some canned air,  and followed this guide. The stock paste was a joke, hardly any attall, took about 30 mins taking my time and really very easy to do.

The difference now is unbelievable, no noise whatsoever.

I just took photos of the areas I was removing screws from which was really helpful putting it back together.

4 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I took it apart the other day and hoovered out all the dust - made a huge difference to the noise.

I would advise against hoovering your console, buy a can of compressed air to clear the vents. Works wonders.

My PS4 Pro makes a horrendous racket when playing anything even remotely demanding. God of War, Hitman 2 and Shenmue 3 all make it sound like a vacuum cleaner. 

I’ve taken the top off and given it all a good clean and it’s made absolutely no difference at all. I’m not sure I have the nerve to do the whole thermal paste thing. For the meantime I’m pretty much using my Xbox One X for everything instead, it’s basically completely silent. 

45 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

My PS4 Pro makes a horrendous racket when playing anything even remotely demanding. God of War, Hitman 2 and Shenmue 3 all make it sound like a vacuum cleaner. 

I’ve taken the top off and given it all a good clean and it’s made absolutely no difference at all. I’m not sure I have the nerve to do the whole thermal paste thing. For the meantime I’m pretty much using my Xbox One X for everything instead, it’s basically completely silent. 

Just take the bottom off and give it a clean. Don't worry about further disassembly and thermal paste etc, you may not need it.  Just cleaning the vents with the bottom off may be all you need.

Can you even do that on a Pro? I thought access was through the top panel. I’ve cleaned out the vents and the fan but there wasn’t much dust in there really and it didn’t make any difference. 

The thing I did which made the biggest difference to the noise my original PS4 made was forgetting to plug the fan in when I put it back together. Absolute silence for the 5 minutes it worked before shutting down to prevent overheating.

• Upvote 3

My Pro disc drive has been failing for a while. I did fiddle with the eject disc screw once that sorted it for a bit but didn't last.

If you've hoovered it out (be careful with the fans you can damage the bearings with a hoover spinning it too quickly) It's the thermal paste being rubbish, I've had to replace it on my OG PS4, Pro and a few xbox ones. Made a gigantic difference on all of them although my OG PS4 is pretty 'whooshy' still on more demanding games (Monster Hunter World for instance is instant Dyson) 

I've always kept my Pro clean (as much as you can) from dust but haven't even turned it on in months due to the noise it makes (and switching to Destiny on PC). I got some PSN gift cards over Christmas and bought Days Gone when it was on sale so I thought 'what the Hell, let's give it a whirl'. Whirl was probably the wrong word to think of because it did "whirl" when I loaded the game up. It whirled and whirled and whirled so much, I couldn't hear the dialogue on the first game cutscene despite having the volume on the telly louder than I was comfortable with; a constant, rising pitch and whoosh that showed no signs of doing anything other than becoming a fire risk.

I've known it's probably the TIM that needs changing (or by the sounds actually adding some) for ages and despite not having any reservations about doing it, I've not because I've seen inconclusive evidence that it actually does anything. I think I may have to swallow and do it anyway but I'm pretty much resigned to waiting for the PS5 to be able to play my PS4 games :lol: :facepalm: 

7 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Can you even do that on a Pro? I thought access was through the top panel. I’ve cleaned out the vents and the fan but there wasn’t much dust in there really and it didn’t make any difference. 

Sorry didn't see it was a pro.

My OG PS4 was so loud that it woke my wife up on the floor above. Got it in bits so I could compressed air the shit out of it, but I stripped a couple of screws like a beef-fingered div so I can only get it so far open. 

At this point, I figured 'fuck it', and just held it up like a huge harmonica and started blowing into it for all I was worth. All sorts of dust and fluffy crap just started flying out all over the place, and made a proper mess. It worked! Barely makes a sound now. I've got a couple years of PS4 exclusives to catch up on, as I'd been steering clear of the machine. 

• Upvote 2