rllmuk
Harsin

Quibi - The Dumbest Streaming Service Yet?

This is the first time I’ve ever seen someone actually come up with an interesting use of portrait video to be fair though. I think what this service, as well as a trail of unsuccessful people before them haven’t yet clocked however, is that literally no-one wants to interact with whatever it is they’re watching. You might get commenting or voting on things if they’re heavily incentivised, but even then it’s a tiny proportion of the audience that are willing to do that. Television in whatever format is a passive medium. 

This would be great for adverts to keep someone hooked in for 30 seconds, basing an entire platform around a gimmick feels well sub-optimal, as the kids would say.

They’re hoping it will be disruptive, with all their exciting ideas like looking at Tinder the right way up when someone does it on TV. Is that seriously it? Even they can’t think of more than one use for this shite idea.

Remember when seeing "Steven Spielberg" was something to be really excited about? Like Steven Spielberg presents... Back to the Future. Gremlins. The Goonies.

Did he lose his money in a Ponzi scheme like Kevin Bacon? Now he seems to be whoring his name out to any old shite.

This is going to be like the Wii U and 3DS isn’t it where the screen screams at you to change your viewpoint until you do.

Have you ever wished Netflix and Amazon would limit where and when you can watch certain shows?

No, me neither.

But apparently they think that’s another killer USP of their platform.

Ms Whitman announced that it had partnered with Steven Spielberg to create a horror series, After Dark, that can only be viewed after sunset. To do this, the app will check the user's location and the local time to check it is indeed dark where they are, Ms Whitman explained.

Guarantee that after clicking submit and closing this tab I'll never hear about this again.

• Upvote 2

Oh man. I got half through the opening post before thinking this is perfect satire material. Presented in another way i wouldn’t be able to tell whether it’s real or not. 

It’s just endlessly amusing to think this has solved the problem for all those teenagers who watch tv while on their skateboards. 

Snapchat do portrait TV shows, Snap Originals, so this isn't even a new idea. 

Instagram has so much to answer for. Videos recorded in portrait should be a fucking war crime.

• Upvote 3

To be fair, a camera that allowed you to stream in both portrait and landscape to allow the viewer adjust to screen orientation would be great so it's a solid idea. Perhaps they should've tried to partner with instagram or something.

Apparently there is a superb horror show on this service which i want to check out but after reading all of this thread i wonder if i am going to be better off waiting for this to close down and when somewhere else has picked the shows up. 

I looked up that golden arm show and... what the fuck:

BigBZDs.png

Then I looked at its IMDb page. WTF #2:

pZkqlV2.png

4 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Apparently there is a superb horror show on this service which i want to check out but after reading all of this thread i wonder if i am going to be better off waiting for this to close down and when somewhere else has picked the shows up. 

This superb horror show wasn't called 50 States of Fright, was it? :unsure:

• Upvote 1

What is The Verge's obsession with this platform? They seem to have a story on it every two weeks. Must be some sort of advert disguised as journalism.