rllmuk
JoeK

Intervals at the cinema.

Last time my brother and I went to the cinema and he needed to go to the toilet we video called through Messenger so he could still kind of see the film. Thankfully his camera wasn't on so I didn't have to see him pissing. Though guess it could have looked like i was recording the film for one of those dodgy pirate versions. 

There should be some kind of app, so you can temporarily stream the film on your phone while still in the building. 

They should play the audio from the film in the nearest toilet so you get an idea of what’s happening while you’re gone.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dug said:

The problem for me is not my bladder but my knees. I can sit through two and a half hours without a piss easily, but at my local cinema the row of seats in front of you form a solid wall, so it's impossible to stretch your legs out unless you're sitting next to an aisle (or I suppose you could do the splits against the seats in front, but that presents different problems). After that long without straightening my legs, my knees fucking kill.

I simply don’t go to the cinema if I can’t get an aisle seat. Which is another reason I don’t like intervals. Pain in the arse letting people in and out of the row.

8 hours ago, Timmo said:

I've become a complete expert at timing piss breaks just before films start. I proudly walk back to my seat as the film's name and certificate glow behind me like the Joker walking away from the exploding hospital.

One thing I like about booking online for Vue is they tell you the exact time the film finishes on the payment confirmation screen, so you can then use the runtime to workout exactly when it’s going start - instead of being stuck with the usual “Listed as 8pm, which means it could be anything from 8:15 to 8:40 depending on how many advert they’ve managed to get” - and can plan the final pre-show wee accordingly.

• Upvote 1

I've requested that the interval music from Quest for the Holy Grail be played at my funeral as the curtains close and I'm committed to the flames.

Hopefully got a few years to go before that though.

If a film is more than a couple of hours long, we just don't watch it at the cinema unless there's an interval. Would have loved to have seen Endgame, but no chance if some of it was missed due to pissing.

That's amazing! Product design genius, solving a genuine problem.

My view is that an intermission is good for movies of 3hrs or over.

Lots of people also at 'Level 42' here!

• Upvote 2

I saw Titanic at a theatre in Wales. Ship hits iceberg. Lights up interval and drinks at the bar  Was absolutely amazing.

I clearly remember an interval for Dances With Wolves when I saw that at the cinema, and I also recall not finding that unusual so it must have been fairly common? Don't remember any other examples though.

Surely back in the day when film reels had to be changed over it was more of a necessary thing for the theatre as well.

There was an interval during heat when I saw it in my local art house cinema place back in the day and that film wouldn't really be considered that long these days I don't think

You only need a wee because they cycle the air conditioning during the film, and as it gets colder your body is compelled to go to the loo. Biological trufax. So... always wrap up warm for the movies I guess.

On 09/01/2020 at 22:23, Darwock said:

I clearly remember an interval for Dances With Wolves when I saw that at the cinema, and I also recall not finding that unusual so it must have been fairly common? Don't remember any other examples though.

Surely back in the day when film reels had to be changed over it was more of a necessary thing for the theatre as well.

I remember there was an interval in Jaws just after Brody, Hooper and Quint head out to sea to catch the shark - lights went up, my dad went to get snacks. I got a tap on the shoulder, turned round, and my regular babysitter was sitting behind us with her mates.

I'm sure people know, but the interval used to exist because projectors could only hold 8000 feet of film and a feature is usually about 12000 feet. 

In the 80's they invented the 'cakestand' which could hold 16000 foot reels and spool back on itself, doing away with the need for a changeover.

• Upvote 2

I think the last movie that I went to that had an interval was one of the Pirates of the Caribbean films for some reason.