Mythic Quest: Season 3 out 11 November

JohnC

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah I've been very disappointed with season 3 so far. The season 2 finalé felt like like a good place to end it, and season 3 feels like the showrunners didn't really know where to go after that either. One episode had a nice, albeit small piece of character development, but the rest has been mostly dull.

Mere Mortals sounds promising in that it will supposedly be more like the two special episodes of the first two seasons, which were both superb.

I feel like season 3 hasn't gone anywhere at all, I'm surprised there is only one episode left because they haven't done much at all.

Jo has probably created the biggest laughs in this series, David Hornsby is also great but that's hardly a surprise. 

Rob McElhenney seems weirdly redundant this time around, as do several other characters come to think of it. Usual problem shows face when characters go in different directions, it can't keep up with itself. 

It's fine but not close to the first two, and I agree that the second finished at the right spot for this show (so far...).  

Final episode of the series looks like one of those spinoff episodes, so look forward to that. 

This weeks Ep was great (as all MQ bottle episodes are). Very heartfelt and sweet. But what really made it was the astonishing casting of young Poppy. Not only is the actress the spitting image, but she nailed the voice and all the mannerisms. We were cracking up at the performance constantly.

30 minutes ago, jonamok said:

This weeks Ep was great (as all MQ bottle episodes are). Very heartfelt and sweet. But what really made it was the astonishing casting of young Poppy. Not only is the actress the spitting image, but she nailed the voice and the all the mannerisms. We were cracking up at the performance constantly.

Agree totally, absolutely perfect bit of casting and fantastic performance.

On 16/12/2022 at 15:53, PeteJ said:

Final episode of the series looks like one of those spinoff episodes, so look forward to that. 

Unless that was a different one, it isn't the last episode. There's 10 and they run until January.

It does feel like Rob McElhenney is not very present this series, like he didn't want to renew it but did for the money. Like Seth MacFarlane being the title character in American Dad but in many later seasons seemingly absent a lot.  In fact it feels like most of the cast are not together very much and struggling with scheduling. 

Oh, I was just going by the schedule on the apple TV app but that might be wrong or it could have been updated.

I watched the bottle episode over lunch. Knocked it out of the park again, I thought it was brilliantly done. Already mentioned but young Poppy was perfectly cast. 

• 3 weeks later...

This turned around for me from the special episode onwards. Actually it was the last ten minutes or so of "Playpen" that started the turn, before the Christmas episode dragged things down for a bit, and then the special showed up to kick things into gear.

Clearly there were just too many episodes to really carry the idea of this season, but when it got to the point it was pretty great again.

The finale was fantastic. The main plot line generally is but the side plots are generally pretty rough, hit a new low with the rodent in the studio storyline in episode 8 (or was it 9?).

Am still a fan but yeah it really should be 6 episodes a season. Also I can’t stand the random CGI transition scenes lol, that’s partly an American thing isn’t it? Like in friends when you get shots of outside apartments for transitioning. 

Stop it. If you really have to do it, tie it to the mythic quest game or playpen, have a loading bar in the bottom right etc. 

Finished watching through all 3 seasons recently and have really enjoyed it.

As some have said, season 3 wasn't as great as 1 and 2 but still had enough laughs to make it watchable.

Hoping season 4 has a bit more direction.