Mythic Quest: Season 2 out 7th May

JohnC

Yeah it certainly seems like they are doing one 'artsy' episode every season and this week's was that. It looked great and it was interesting to see the 'mannerisms' in the lead. For the first 15-20 mins I was kind of wishing it was just a normal episode but I felt it was justified by the episode's second half where it all started to click quite nicely. 

Spoiler

The Pong scene and the rambling that followed was really well done and had quite a lovely heartwarming payoff right at the end. I've always thought of CW as one of the weaker characters, I think because I just don't recognize that character within my industry. The big studios in the past usually have young male writers who ramble on about their serious and innovative look at robots, aliens and terrorists etc. This episode kinda alluded to that, when he was young he was super into these cliches but was actually ahead of his time and so never made it. Before this episode I just presumed he was some old thespian who had no interest in games.

So yeah, this episode alone really helped me connect more with that character.

You know how it often has random little CGI cutscenes/footage to transition to new scenes? This weeks one has one with Horizon Zero Dawn. What's that all about eh? Is that really Ubisoft marketing another studio's game? Am curious to know what happened there.

I actually wish they would scrap those transitions. Was very jarring this week when the trailer for Ian's expansion was clearly footage from Assassin's Creed: The Viking One.

There was a bit of HZD mixed in with that expansion trailer as well as those transitions and it really stuck out. At least when they normally shove in a mash of AC and For Honor stuff etc. you can see them going "Ah, it's all swordsy stuff. It probably fits together if you don't focus on it" but having robot dinosaurs really didn't fit with their pretend generic fantasy game.

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

It’s cus of Ashley Burch. 

Oh of course yeah. We'll probably get clips of that upcoming Borderlands spinoff in MythicQuest season 3 then.

Those parts are really odd. Why do American sitcoms still do transitions between scenes? 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Anyone caught the season finale? It feels very...final. Wonder if they're going to do a season 3? Doesn't feel like it.

Of course they are. It's a series based on the video game development industry so:

Spoiler

They're making Mythic Quest 2! ;)

I think there will be a season 3, but there could be some character changes based on that episode. It felt like it was leaving a lot of things open rather than ending things.

On 01/07/2021 at 22:52, Doctor Shark said:

Anyone caught the season finale? It feels very...final. Wonder if they're going to do a season 3? Doesn't feel like it.

It does feel like they blew it up.

• 1 month later...

Just finished season 2. 

Although it took a handful of episodes to warm to it, Mythic Quest eventually grow to be one of the biggest surprises in TV. 

With the cast involved it shouldn't be too much of a surprise though, and if anything it proves just how good they are after loving the equally brilliant Always Sunny.  Particularly Rob McElhenney, who I can see going on to do some tremendous films and TV later on.

From the episode of Always Sunny when he ends the series with a rather brilliant and touching dance routine, he's shown a depth to writing and performance you don't often see in comedy. If anything, Mythic Quest was his chance to test this emotional range further, his curious blend of silly comedy and cutting social commentary becoming more apparent the further it goes on. 

The one off episodes in each series were both outstanding, but also the relationship between Poppy and Ian that develops throughout was extremely well done. Often negotiating tricky issues that it knows could cross the line, but had an uncanny ability to pull back to reality just at the right moment, and often with a small emotional payoff that usually sticks the landing. Of course, all surrounded in a cast of tragic characters that are all likeable by the end. 

This isn't the greatest comedy or dramedy or whatever, I don't want to give that impression, but it's well worth your time. It also cements my thoughts that we'll be seeing Rob McElhenney clutching a series of major awards in the coming years.