Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet

• 1 month later...

Watched the first episode - it was ok-ish. I think Mac and Cricket got me through to be honest but I'm willing to stick with it for a few episodes. Surprised to see zero interest here on the day of release. 

I've enjoyed the first half of the season so far. It is always going to be compared to Silicon Valley, but so far they've avoided overlap. I like the cast and characters, so hoping this is the average first season that leads onto greater things.

I was a bit wary when I saw that it is a Ubisoft co-production. I'm sure the Sunny guys insisted on creative control, and there's been plenty of digs at mircotransactions etc - but then balanced out by "this is how the game is funded" themes.

Only watched the first episode so far and I like it.

If you’ve got Netflix check out the documentary Playing Hard about the development of For Honour, it’s this but real.  I went in expect a Ubisoft PR job and it really, really isn’t.  It’s the best document of being part of large scale game dev, some of its ubi specific but much of it rings true to my days of 100+ person teams.

• 2 weeks later...

This was so much better than I thought it would be. I'm really surprised to see absolutely zero buzz on here, I'm guessing because it's on Apple TV or there's some conversation in another thread somewhere. 

Everyone in it is uniformly excellent, it's funny and cutting and well written, and has some genuinely good dramatic beats. Games aren't the butt of the joke nor is it blind to the realities of development, and it riffs on problems in the games industry with a light touch but always lands on the right side of the issue.

It's somewhere between 30 Rock, Silicon Valley and Community, with a good heart and a penchant for constant surprises. Once again it's upset a legion of bobblehead cunt Twitter eggs and shoutybeards for "ramming politics down our throats" even though there isn't really anything of the sort in the show. Weird.

• Upvote 5

Struggled through the first episode but will try to give the second a go.

At least Ubisoft's For Honour has found something its good for constantly being shown throughout the first episode :P

Loved "Pootie Shoe" and that was about it if I am honest.

Since people seem to think it's ok i will give the second episode a go but this is a far cry from Silicon Valley. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2020 at 06:56, Couk said:

Really worth sticking with. The "standalone" episode halfway through with different characters was great.

Just saw that episode and I agree - a brilliantly written, acted and directed piece of work. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That Quarantine episode was brilliant. I don't think this show made a very good first impression, but it quickly got better, and if season 2 is as good as this episode it's going to be something special.

I put this show off for the longest time, I think working in dev studios myself I imagined this show would be a frustrating experience. Anyway, I watched it all over the course of 2 weeks and loved it. Actually to be honest, I watched the first episode and was like 'nope' but I then heard someone on TCGS say it gets better over time so had another go. It was episode 3 where things started to click for me, the strength of the characters really started the flourish and I found that each episode had some really cool moments with interesting twists and genuinely great gags.

The biggest negative for me were the baffling 'transition' screens, I've never been a fan of this typically American sitcom staple where they can't just cut to another screen but have to play music and zoom into a house or whatever. Here it's clips of For Honor? Why? I guess it looks like Mythic Quest? In some cases there will be a comedy moment in MQ (with footage of the MQ game) that then cuts to ForHonor, must be really confusing for people that don't know ForHonor? 

Apart from that though I was surprised, it's no Office but it does have great character work, over arching stories, great gags and a good heart.

• Upvote 1

The clips of For Honor, and one of the Assassin's Creeds  are supposed to be part of Mythic Quest. I guess it's cheaper than animating incidental scenes, and I think Ubisoft partly fund the show.

• 2 weeks later...

As others in here have said after a slow start this turned into one of my biggest TV surprises in the last year. Really good characters, touching moments and some great subtle 4th wall breaking. 

Episode 5 was quite brilliant as a stand-alone episode in a different timeline with all new characters. For me that one really set the boldness of what they’re trying to do apart. 

Also I love the way the run times are all over the place which is of course a side effect of streaming. If your episode bangs at 24 minutes then don’t pad it out for the sake of a schedule. 

I hope they really build on it. The duel episode was probably my favourite. Poppy was outstanding in that. 

Watched the lockdown episiode and really enjoyed it. It injects just the right amount of schmaltz into the right characters to make you like them in different ways. I thought Poppys dark reveal in the lockdown episode was great and really well done. Especially considering the constraints they must have been under to create it and put it together. 

I know its Apple so limited audience but I am surprised there aren't more people into it on here, especially as there's so much love for Sunny in Philadelphia.

(Also thought the unionising bit in episode 9 was interesting as it seemed to be making a very clear point about crunch and overtime etc especially considering Ubisoft are consultants) 

(FINALLY was cool to note that Ashly Burch who plays Rachel (Games Tester) was previously primarily a video game voice over actor. She's the voice of Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn, Tina in Borderlands, Parvati in Outer Worlds and Chloe Price in Life is Strange!)

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

(FINALLY was cool to note that Ashly Burch who plays Rachel (Games Tester) was previously primarily a video game voice over actor. She's the voice of Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn, Tina in Borderlands, Parvati in Outer Worlds and Chloe Price in Life is Strange!)

She's also Ash of Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'? which I loved back in the day.  Her brother Anthony Burch was a writer on Borderlands 2 and League of Legends amongst other things.

1 hour ago, The Bag said:

She's also Ash of Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'? which I loved back in the day.  Her brother Anthony Burch was a writer on Borderlands 2 and League of Legends amongst other things.

I actually found that earlier and have started working my way through it. Seems her character is pretty natural in the show! 

Vids are quite entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

I actually found that earlier and have started working my way through it. Seems her character is pretty natural in the show! 

Vids are quite entertaining. 

this was one of my favs

I watched the first episode of this and didn't go back until I read this thread.  I just watched the Dark Quiet Death episode which was good but quite a random change for one episode.

The quarantine episode of this is good, much better than a lot of the other episodes of the type which came out recently - they put some effort into this one and again manage to hit some emotional notes where you don't really expect it. I think it faced a tough crowd - gamers are the absolute worst and normal people don't watch stuff about games. But I think this show has a future from word of mouth and a bit of course correction in S2 - see Parks and Rec, American Office etc. Like others have said I'm surprised it isn't more popular in here but if they keep doing what they're doing I'm sure it'll find an audience.

That name though. That fucking name. They really could have called it anything else and it would have been a million times better.

• Upvote 1
On 11/06/2020 at 13:50, Jonny5 said:

I watched the first episode of this and didn't go back until I read this thread.  I just watched the Dark Quiet Death episode which was good but quite a random change for one episode.

For a first season it was very bold and a huge risk but they did it very well and I believe it was pretty well received often being mentioned as one of thee highlights of the season. It is referenced in a solid, albeit very briefly, at the end of the season (Not really a spoiler and if you think about it its fairly obvious what the link is!) but there is no massive connection apart from the fact that worlds do co-exist as is evidenced from mug and t-shirt references!

The more I think about it the more I want to watch it again. 

I watched all this in 3 days after reading this thread and I thought it was brilliant. Funny, but also quite moving in parts (the quarantine episode especially). Some really good characterisation, even the characters you’re not supposed to like have some depth to them, with only Brad (head of monetisation) coming off as a bit one-dimensional, but still very funny. The way that Ian is played seems a really note-perfect picture of a narcissist who is actually quite good at their job. It’s nice to have a show with gaming in that isn’t a dig at nerd culture. Also loved that 

Spoiler

Rachel has an Aloy statue on her table at home. 

• 2 weeks later...