rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
hub2

Alienware UFO Concept handheld (aka Switch Pro+)

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I find the bezel shape very unsettling.

It's making the screen look very wrong.

Reminds me of how BSG's way of making things look like they were from An Earthlike But Alien Civilisation was to cut the corners off all the rectangles.

The real answer is probably "we wanted to put a PC motherboard in something kind of Switchy but not make it look quite so tedious".

It's basically a PC version of a Switch and I would be so down for that if I had a silly amount of disposable income.

I really want a way to play lower end / indie type games on the go, and sync saves with my PC, that isn't a laptop. It's quite annoying that so many excellent games of this ilk are available on PC and also portable platforms like Android or Switch, but you need to buy them twice and you don't get save syncing.

I guess this could solve this, but I'd worry about the battery life, plus it looks huge. Quite frankly the OG Switch is a bit too big for my liking - when using it out and about I much prefer the ergonomics with the controllers disconnected and using the kickstand. If you want a PC that you can use in a similar way, might as well just get a Surface Go and an Xbone controller.

Would buy one immediately. As much as I love console gaming, the Steam library is awesome. But I hate playing with keyboard and mouse and don't want to buy a full-fledged pc. 

Yeah there's definitely a market for a device like this but it would need to be kept as small and cheap as possible.

This thing is huge though, and will cost between £500 and £800 depending on spec I reckon cos Alienware.

That must weigh a ton, and you won't be able to read any text for PC games on it as will be microscopic.

My immediate reaction is that I get to most new tech (which is to want it) but then I can't see what the use case is for something that big which isn't really portable.

Yes I think there is a market for pc mobile gaming.  I’ve been keeping my eye on the  Smach z and GPD win.   While this does seem quite big, it’s still portable, just not fit in your pocket portable.

So when you turn it on it loads Windows 10 first? I find W10 a dubious touch interface even with a proper tablet/laptop sized screen, this’ll be infuriating to use, I’d wager.