rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
GamesGamesGames

Commemorative Royal Mail Gaming Stamps.

Royal Mail are releasing 12 stamps celebrating classic games from the '80s and '90s (and in the case of Tomb Raider the '00s and '10s...)

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/jan/07/worms-tomb-raider-classic-uk-video-games-stamps

Maybe a thread in this. Which twelve games would you choose to best represent Britain's role in gaming through the 80s and 90s, and why?

• Upvote 6

Pretty much my only reaction to that was "Fucking DIZZY!!!!" FFS.

I don't have much problem with the rest

But the lack of Manic Miner and Knightlore (or insert fave Ultimate Play the Game title here) is unforgiveable.

EDIT - oh and Elite shouldn't be a 2nd class stamp

EDIT EDIT - FUCKING DIZZY! it was a shit game series, is a shit game series and the creators couldn't even kickstart a sequel such is the hatred for the egg shaped twat.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Photoshop/GIMP thread?

Maybe not a landmark title, but Llamasoft's Iridis Alpha is one of my all-time favourite games, so I made a thing:

ENCbR8G.jpg

• Upvote 5

There must have been a Spectrum game where you play a postman, surely. It was probably called Postie Peril or something 

25 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I don't have much problem with the rest

But the lack of Manic Miner and Knightlore (or insert fave Ultimate Play the Game title here) is unforgiveable.

EDIT - oh and Elite shouldn't be a 2nd class stamp

EDIT EDIT - FUCKING DIZZY! it was a shit game series, is a shit game series and the creators couldn't even kickstart a sequel such is the hatred for the egg shaped twat.

I fucking love Dizzy!! :P

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Clipper said:

The omission of Manic Miner/JSW or any Ultimate game is beyond bizarre and makes me wonder how these stamps were curated. Maybe permissions were not granted? Probably needs GTA too..

And, yeah, Dizzy was fucking terrible. An absolute no mark game that could have been replaced by any of a hundred other way more iconic and/or influential titles. 

Here's the link to the stamps:

https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/video-games

The 12 stamps:

Tomb Raider (1996)

Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft (1998)

Tomb Raider Chronicles (2000)

Tomb Raider (2013)

Elite (1984)

Dizzy (1987)

Populous (1989)

Lemmings (1992)

Micro Machines (1991)

Sensible Soccer (1992)

WipeOut (1995)

Worms (1995)

My 12 (for now....)

Manic Miner

Head Over Heels

Elite

Populous

Lemmings

Worms

Cannon Fodder

Uridium

Wipeout

Goldeneye

Championship Manager

Tomb Raider

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Clipper said:

Dizzy was / is (ok was) fucking BRILLIANT.

How dare you. Just how dare you.

The creators failed Kickstarter because they wanted almost as much as Bloodstained raised before they'd consider it. And whilst they are legends in their own right, I don't think they had a good grasp of what Dizzy would need to be in the 2010's. The series and character was kind of mishandled after Magic Land. Remember when all the promo art started giving him that lame fucking hat and cane?

Fantasy World / Treasure Island / Magic Land were better than Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy. Come at me.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I fucking love Dizzy!! :P

52 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Wash your mouth out Dizzy was great

40 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Dizzy was / is (ok was) fucking BRILLIANT.

How dare you. Just how dare you.

The creators failed Kickstarter because they wanted almost as much as Bloodstained raised before they'd consider it. And whilst they are legends in their own right, I don't think they had a good grasp of what Dizzy would needed to be in the 2010's. The series and character was kind of mishandled after Magic Land. Remember when all the promo art started giving him that lame fucking hat and cane?

Fantasy World / Treasure Island / Magic Land were better than Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy. Come at me.

Other (utterly wrong) opinions are of curse available.

<_<

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dizzy's fine, but I'm not entirely sure that Tomb Raider deserved to be featured four times.

Complete lack of anything by the Yak or the Bitmap Brothers is what upsets me, though generally I don't mind the games they've selected; Elite, Populous, Lemmings, Wipeout, Sensi, Worms and Micro Machines (and the original Tomb Raider) are all a) brilliant and b) totemic games. Just, substitute the three other Tomb Raiders for Speedball 2, Gridrunner and Tempest 2000.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Speedball 2

:wub:

:mellow: ... wait.

C64 version, right? :quote:

Yuck! Atari ST is obviously where they should be grabbing their screenshot from, seeing as that's what I owned (and also, I guess, seeing as that was the first version of S2). Though considering they've gone for an uncomfortably sharp looking screenshot of Wipeout rather than an appropriately soft, jaggedy PS1 capture goodness knows what we'd actually have ended up with.

1 hour ago, Monkeyspill said:

Dizzy wasn’t very good but for some reason everyone seemed to own a copy so it’s iconic of an era.

They gave it away free with either Your Sinclair or Crash, right?

It was popular enough to spawn many sequels.

Fantasy World Dizzy was one of the first games I completed on Spectrum. I think my neighbours finished Treasure Island but they may be used a cheat where you skipped screens to get into the washer room? Or it was a shorter version given away with a mag. I think I finished Treasure Island on Amiga. 

Accidentally taking off the snorkel when picking up coins underwater was a real shitter.

19 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

They gave it away free with either Your Sinclair or Crash, right?

It was popular enough to spawn many sequels.

Fantasy World Dizzy was one of the first games I completed on Spectrum. I think my neighbours finished Treasure Island but they may be used a cheat where you skipped screens to get into the washer room? Or it was a shorter version given away with a mag. I think I finished Treasure Island on Amiga. 

Accidentally taking off the snorkel when picking up coins underwater was a real shitter.

I think I  bought it for £1.99 on the C64 (or £2.99 whatever budget titles were priced at at the time). I had  Fantasy World Dizzy too. I don't remember liking either very much but played them both quite a bit anyway.

I'm guessing the brief was for a set of 4 stamps from 1 dev/series as a showcase, in which case I can see why Tomb Raider got the nod. The only alternatives I can think of would be GTA (and I can't see them slapping that all over stamps - especially since it's also mostly set in America), or maybe Ultimate/Rare too. Actually, that's a better shout, I think - and that's as a C64 fanboy where Ultimate were generally poor.

The big omission for me is definitely Llamasoft. There needed to be something that suggested the properly quirky bedroom coder stuff (Dizzy is a tame example), and that would have to be something like Manic Miner/JSW or (IMO) much more preferably Yak due to huge library and longevity. Apart from that though - it's a pretty good list. A little Braybrook might have been nice, but that's a minor quibble.

4 hours ago, James Lyon said:

There must have been a Spectrum game where you play a postman, surely. It was probably called Postie Peril or something 

Mailstrom! 

• Upvote 2

Ignoring the Tomb Raider ones, the other set seems to be very Amiga and 90's heavy which probably reflects the bias of the person creating it.  It says on the site "The Special Stamps depict scenes from landmark UK-designed titles from the 1980s and ’90s." There's only 3 from the 80s and one of them is Populous on Amiga which you may as well consider a 90s game. 

Manic Miner/JSW is the glaring omission IMO.  I was a Spectrum owner so don't know much Minter but recognise that he should be recognised.  My list would've been

Manic Miner

An 80s Llamasoft game on the C64

Head over Heels

Elite

Shadow of the Beast (A shit game but for me defined the 'power of the Amiga' back in the day, it was the showcase Amiga owners would stick on)

Lemmings

Sensible Soccer

BitMap Bros game (Speedball or Xenon 2)

The choice of Tomb Raider games seems a bit unbalanced. I appreciate that they want to emphasise the UK-developed ones by having three Core Design titles to one Crystal Dynamics game, but still, that 13 year gap looks odd. IMO a balanced list of Tomb Raider games would remove Chronicles and add something from the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld era.

41 minutes ago, DonRumsfeld said:

Ignoring the Tomb Raider ones, the other set seems to be very Amiga and 90's heavy which probably reflects the bias of the person creating it.

The article says Jaz Rignall helped choose the games. I don't think he has anything against console gaming (he founded Mean Machines!) but I think the choices are just a side-effect of the way pre-PS1 UK game development was generally more prominent on microcomputers than on consoles. At least Micro Machines is there to represent consoles (though everyone knows MM'96 was the best one :P).

Other, more recent UK games that I'd consider including:

Anything by Rare! (Even if they wanted to exclude licenced games like GoldenEye and Japanese IP like Donkey Kong, there are still plenty of other options)

Broken Sword

Burnout, or MSR/Project Gotham Racing (though I suppose with Wipeout and Micro Machines, the list doesn't need any more racing games)

The hours I've lost to that little egg. The Dizzy games kept me entertained for hours at a time, they were such neat little adventures.

Only a few moments in Treasure Island Dizzy, such as that awful invisible cage in amongst the Tree House Village and the inventory system which could easily drown you, really illicit any bad feelings.

Really looking forward to seeing what the team who put together that Crystal Kingdom remake have got in store for the Next exclusive, Wonderful Dizzy. It'll be a treat to be back with the Yolkfolk after all these years!

Anyhoo, lovely to see the bedroom coders honoured like this. I'll be pre-ordering. :)

• Upvote 4

I love how even something like this can instantly bring an old strongly held prejudice out in me.

Sensible Soccer, always shit. Kick Off 2 was king.

• Upvote 2