rllmuk
robotattack

Video Games Royal Mail Stamps!

"Seasoned gamers, young players and collectors will enjoy exploring the stamps, stories and images featured in this colourful celebration of classic video games.

This action-packed collectible contains all eight Special Stamps and the Tomb Raider Miniature Sheet.

Your Presentation Pack contains all eight Special Stamps and the Tomb Raider Miniature Sheet.

The Special Stamps depict scenes from landmark UK-designed titles from the 1980s and ’90s

The Miniature Sheet’s stamps feature Lara Croft in action across four different adventures.

Hotshot player and acclaimed journalist Julian ‘Jaz’ Rignall recalls the characters, graphics and challenges that made these games so popular"

https://shop.royalmail.com/collectibles-and-gifts/presentation-packs-and-sets/video-games-presentation-pack

ap470-2-video-games-presentation-pack-vi

giphy.gif

• Upvote 4

If anyone is thinking these have any financial value in future then don't bother! I have loads of these sets from the 90's and stuff like the LOTR ones from around 2004.  Lucky to get a fiver for each set today :lol:  This was always a very strong 80's hang up for me collecting stamps, got books all over the show in the attic at my folks. I thought they'd be worth a massive fortune but the bottom dropped out of the stamp market 10 years ago.

Yeah, there are far too many editions produced nowadays. But if you want to get some to keep for yourself, it's worth it.

From the link in @Anne Summers's post:

I like using special stamps like this to send stuff.

39 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I am surprised there's no Miner Willy. 

Not having an ultimate game seems a bit bizarre as well, considering how important Rare remains today. Oh well that's what happens when experts like us aren't consulted :lol:

1 minute ago, strider said:

Not having an ultimate game seems a bit bizarre as well, considering how important Rare remains today. Oh well that's what happens when experts like us aren't consulted :lol:

Yeah it's an odd selection lots of games from the same studios so I'm guessing it was a permission issue, that said seems this was a UKIE project. Which are one of the games industry trade bodies that no one ever knows what they do or quite why they are around.

It's OK nice to put on your stamps I guess.

5 minutes ago, Riven said:

Yeah it's an odd selection lots of games from the same studios so I'm guessing it was a permission issue, that said seems this was a UKIE project. Which are one of the games industry trade bodies that no one ever knows what they do or quite why they are around.

It's OK nice to put on your stamps I guess.

I know what they do as we shared an office for a while!

They, um, sit around at desks ... and talk about stuff ...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I know what they do as we shared an office for a while!

They, um, sit around at desks ... and talk about stuff ...

We do that at Retro Gamer!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

If anyone is thinking these have any financial value in future then don't bother! I have loads of these sets from the 90's and stuff like the LOTR ones from around 2004.  Lucky to get a fiver for each set today :lol:  This was always a very strong 80's hang up for me collecting stamps, got books all over the show in the attic at my folks. I thought they'd be worth a massive fortune but the bottom dropped out of the stamp market 10 years ago.

Preach on, brother. One of the sad moments of my youth (I had been an avid stamp collector) was to read that countries just pumped out these sorts of stamps for the collectors market, very few of them ever saw any sort of use on a letter, or were even ever on general sale to the public. I had thought that other countries just had the most exotic stamps (I see the UK is well in on the act now too though). Another sad notch in the timeline of the death of my childhood!

Still, I love that Dizzy stamp! Agree that the very best use of these would be to put on a letter to someone who would appreciate it.

• Empathy 2

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

God yeah! £1.12 a stamp, THOSE BASTARDS!

Gamers whining? Fancy that.  These will look fucking ace in a little frame in one's retro room, what what.

I'll print you off some horrbile screenshots of games you dont like - and charge you money!

Its like paying for an amazon delivery and not using it. I think us fans have jumped the shark

As a friend posted on Twitter

"What did you do while the world burned, Grandad?

We argued about video game stamps on the Internet."

To clarify, the stamps were selected by Bitmap Books and designed by Supple Studios.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

Same as Pixelated Ben above. #1804 of 2500, fact fans.

I forgot to check my number! I'll have to look when I get home from work. It's a nice little collection.

EDIT: I've got number 82. I'm pleased with that: the ZX Spectrum launched in 1982, and that's when my gaming adventures began.