rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
CovisGod

Comics / Graphic Novels

Hi Guys,

Do we have any Comic readers on here?  I used to be a massive collector and had Thousands at one point, unfortunately (in my case) I sold them all when my Comic room / man cave had to be turned into the baby’s room,

however it’s always been an itch that I can’t scratch, I read nothing else but adored reading and collecting comics and I’ve decided nows the time to get back into it,

Couple of questions -

I want to start collecting the Batman comics again however I may as well start when the next story arc starts, anyone know what issue that will be?

I used to like my horror indie comics, Walking Dead, Crossed, The Revival, anybody know of any decent comics similar that are out currently?

Best online comic shop for subscriptions? I like the idea of paying for say 8 issues at a time and them turning up every month

And in general, anything I may have missed? Any tips? Any decent suggestions?

Many Thanks

Batman has a new writer starting next month, so that should be a good starting point.

Harrow County is a great recent horror comic.

I use https://subscriptions.acecomics.co.uk for my comic subscriptions, they are well priced, reliable and have great customer service.

In general I tend to read anything written by these writers; Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Ed Brubaker, Jeff Lemire, Brian K Vaughn, Gail Simone, Mark Waid and Rick Rememder.

• Upvote 2

It's far from indie, but if you like quality horror comics check out Immortal Hulk. "The Hulk?" you may think "that big green doofus?" Well, this is different. REALLY different. It's many things, but at its core it's a horror comic and that means body horror, the gruesome kind you wouldn't associate with Marvel.

It would fit in perfectly as a Vertigo comic during Vertigo's golden era. It's completely standalone, you don't need to have read any Hulk comics beforehand and it's separate from all the ridiculous crossover stuff that infests superhero comics from the big two.

Have you ever read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing? Writer Al Ewing deconstructs and redefines the Hulk in a similar manner and in terms of the quality of the writing it also compares very favourably. It's currently up to issue 28 and still shaping up to be one of those rare all-time classics. One of the BIG classics - you know the kind.

Start with the first volume which collects the first five issues: link

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Batman has a new writer starting next month, so that should be a good starting point.

Harrow County is a great recent horror comic.

I use https://subscriptions.acecomics.co.uk for my comic subscriptions, they are well priced, reliable and have great customer service.

In general I tend to read anything written by these writers; Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Ed Brubaker, Jeff Lemire, Brian K Vaughn, Gail Simone, Mark Waid and Rick Rememder.

thanks guys,

that subs place seems perfect, how does it work? I’ve added 9 series to my Subscriptions, but there are 0 on my “pull list” how often do you pay? And how do you pay?

27 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

thanks guys,

that subs place seems perfect, how does it work? I’ve added 9 series to my Subscriptions, but there are 0 on my “pull list” how often do you pay? And how do you pay?

Comics get added to your pull list when they get released, and you can then covert your pull list to an order as regular as you want to(at least once a month)and this is also when you pay for your comics.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Charliemouse said:

Comics get added to your pull list when they get released, and you can then covert your pull list to an order as regular as you want to(at least once a month)and this is also when you pay for your comics.

Amazing thanks, and @Mr. Gerbik is Swamp Thing known as Swamp Thing Giant? Already got 15 in my subs list, and that’s just the well known ones, can’t wait to find some indie gems!

11 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Amazing thanks, and @Mr. Gerbik is Swamp Thing known as Swamp Thing Giant? Already got 15 in my subs list, and that’s just the well known ones, can’t wait to find some indie gems!

I think that's a different series. The Alan Moore Swamp Thing run is from the eighties and was recently collected in six "Saga of the Swamp Thing" books. This is book one. An absolute mustread imho.

• Upvote 1

Or get the Absolute Swamp Thing. It's the best format to read it Imo. 

Im gonna recommend Gotham central cos it's some of the best Batman without batman that exists. 

I'll also second Harrow County. The library editions are lovely and it's a cracking tale. 

Nailbiter was a decentish horror read about a town in America where lots of serial killers came from.  I also hear good things about Ice cream man but ain't read that myself yet.

And I'm waiting for Gideon Falls by Jeff Lemire to get collected in Hardcover before diving in. 

DC have just launched a new horror line which is being overseen by Joe Hill which is also supposed to be pretty decent btw. 

I just wish I had a bigger house and bank balance cos there is just so much I want to read and own. 

Oh and cant believe I didn't recommend Locke and Key cos that is one of the best horror comics in the past 20 years. Also by Joe Hill. 

I basically don't read anything anymore that doesn't have pretty pictures. Haven't read a novel in about 2 years I think. 

• Upvote 2

On 06/01/2020 at 21:11, cassidy said:

I just wish I had a bigger house and bank balance cos there is just so much I want to read and own. 

Oh and cant believe I didn't recommend Locke and Key cos that is one of the best horror comics in the past 20 years. Also by Joe Hill. 

I basically don't read anything anymore that doesn't have pretty pictures. Haven't read a novel in about 2 years I think. 

I was mildly entertained by the Netflix series but thought it was a brilliant concept so gave the comics a try.

They are fantastic aren't they? Absolutely superb read so far. I've just ordered volume 6 (which I think is the last one?) And I can't wait to see how it all ends.

Just finished Locke and Key. A fantastic read throughout and even a little tear at the end!

(End spoiler)

Spoiler

...tear of total relief. I thought Bode dead was going to stick and was absolutely gutted!

• Upvote 1