rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R

Recommend modern mainstream American comedy films

So many good ones already listed. Always have a soft spot for Bridesmaids and Wedding Crashers. Dodgeball is great too. 

Recent good ones: Game Night and Instant Family. 

I'm in the same situation @Nick R but largely through choice. However, I really enjoyed the daftness of The Disaster Artist and, contrary to a lot of recommendations, I saw it before The Room. Worth a watch.

I'd also second the recommendation for Freaks and Geeks.

23 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I can only assume that most people haven't seen Hot Rod then? 

I have now, thanks to this thread. It was great! I just like the whole setup... to raise enough money for Lovejoy’s heart operation so he can kick his ass. Absurd, in a movie full of absurd highlights.

• Upvote 1

Not a film technically, but The Unauthorised Bash Brothers Experience on Netflix is unbelievable. It’s the Lonely Island doing a ridiculous early 90s biopic about two blokes I’ve never heard of playing a sport I don’t like and I’ve watched it about half a dozen times. It’s no exaggeration to say it’s one of the most visually inventive things I’ve seen in years.

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

I have now, thanks to this thread. It was great! I just like the whole setup... to raise enough money for Lovejoy’s heart operation so he can kick his ass. Absurd, in a movie full of absurd highlights.

So glad you liked it. Comedy is a hard one to recommend because people's tastes are so different.

13 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I'm in the same situation @Nick R but largely through choice. However, I really enjoyed the daftness of The Disaster Artist and, contrary to a lot of recommendations, I saw it before The Room. Worth a watch.

I'd also second the recommendation for Freaks and Geeks.

Personally I thought The Disaster Artist was utter shit and one of the most pointless movies ever made. It's like a bad cover song. Just watch The Room. It's funnier.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Personally I thought The Disaster Artist was utter shit and one of the most pointless movies ever made. It's like a bad cover song. Just watch The Room. It's funnier.

Each to their own. Personally I find a lot of the comedies mentioned in this thread shit but I didn't come in here to put anybody off from them.

Two pages in and no Happy Gilmore recommendation?  Maybe it missed it.  But it's fucking ace.

Grosse Pointe Blank and On the Edge of Seventeen are also worth checking out.  I'm not sure they leap out as out and out comedies.

Another vote for Book Smart.  What a fucking soundtrack as well.

I know people generally hate it but Four Christmases is really funny, we watch it every... Christmas yep. 

Step Brothers already mentioned, Hot Rod already mentioned.. hmm. Identity Thief and The Heat were two of McCarthy's less appreciated movies but we found them really funny and have watched a few times. The Interview, The Proposal, Old School, are all good.

It feels strange when you watch a film based on it being recommended once, you download it flippantly to store with all the others when needing something to stare at while eating dinner. A film you’ve never heard of but more than that, one you’d never ever watch. I mean, never. There’s only been a few where afterwards i think: damn that affected me, and i was otherwise going to go through life being unaware of its brilliance. It was a split second decision where i thought; ah fuck it i’ll put it on yet the effect it had on me will stick with me forever. 

So this particular film kind of floored me, i spent the whole thing choking up. I know, this is a thread to recommend comedy films, I haven’t got the wrong thread, it was mentioned in here. I’m not even going to say what film it is bwahahaha etc. Lest you all think; what really? That got you? But it’s all warm and kind of manipulative. They’re not real people in real situations you know, they were hired to perform a role.

But fuck it’s nigh on perfect.