What’s a good game for a C64 remake/demake?

carleton

How about something like Overcooked?

Not too many moving parts and no huge scrolling levels or 3D elements.  I could see that working within the confines of the C64 - especially the 2 player aspect.

Was looking at my Steam library and found a few shooters that aren't necessarily 8-bit throwbacks but would work well on a 64:

Alien Zombie Megadeath - it's basically a simple single screen platform game where you shoot left and right to clear waves of enemies but there are other levels including bomb disposal. I'd say that would be okay to transfer the gameplay at least.

Graceful Explosion Machine - pretty simple horizontal shooter, the number of enemies might be a problem but everything else looks doable.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, carleton said:

I think @Vimster must have a different C64 to me!

Something like Overcooked could work I think. And who needs Typing of the Dead when you've got Mavis Beacon? ;)

I'm not a programmer but couldn't something like Warning Forever be done by scrolling the background and having a few gun turrets on it instead of some massive moving sprites? It wouldn't have all the bells and whistles, would definitely be more like a static vertical shooter, but the core idea is sound. 

30 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I'm not a programmer but couldn't something like Warning Forever be done by scrolling the background and having a few gun turrets on it instead of some massive moving sprites? It wouldn't have all the bells and whistles, would definitely be more like a static vertical shooter, but the core idea is sound. 

I've not played it but looking at the video a big moving spaceship would be OK (more like R-Type level 3) but the bullet hell nature of it would be problematic I think. 

Generally though there are tons of great ideas that could be adapted into something simpler. Calling them demakes or directly referring to the original inspiration would highlight the fact they're limited, so just making something totally new but with those ideas would make them feel fresh. 

6 hours ago, carleton said:

I think @Vimster must have a different C64 to me!

Something like Overcooked could work I think. And who needs Typing of the Dead when you've got Mavis Beacon? ;)

Or indeed 9 to 5 Typing by Epyx

(And yes, it is inspired by the film/song)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, carleton said:

I coded an E.T. Game for the GameBoy Color. So I’m out. Graphics by @Dr Derek Doctors and @Ste Pickford

image.jpeg.8d39213f4f9339de9fa56667d2a5ef43.jpeg

You can be out but I'm still right.

Let me tell you about the original game.

It was coded really quickly but it had a title screen graphic. This was unusual. It also had title screen music, this was unusual too.

The sprites were reasonably colourful and detailed and the game was a lot better than most people credit it to be.

I'd love to see the game with a great title screen, I'm thinking of the best C64 multi coloured graphics available today. A kick ass version of the music. The game would largely be the same but the background graphics, six screens, would be the best the C64 could produce.

The 3 main sprites would be composite affairs which would be as good as the C64 could manage.

AND, the dynamic of getting out of the 'pits' wouldn't be broken.

You could make the best version of the worst videogame of all time.

Someone should do this.