rllmuk
ngchol

RLLMUK'S FAVOURITE ALBUMS OF 2019 - RESULTS!

Once again, thanks very much for taking the time and effort to do this, much appreciated. Some great music in there. And Lana Del Rey. But each to their own and all that!

• Upvote 2

Yes - thank you for another year of pulling this together.

Over a decade of lists is an impressive dataset of our collective forum musical taste.

• Upvote 2

Brilliant work as ever. I didn't contribute this year as I really haven't listened to much new music at all lately but will definitely be using this list as a guide to what I need to catch up on.

I always really enjoy this thread. I'm always pleased and surprised by how diverse people's tastes are, even given the fairly homogenous nature of this forum's membership. It's a real contrast to the usual professional "best of the year" lists which always seem to adhere to a certain critical consensus and mostly feature the same ten albums in a slightly different order. In particular we've got folk here who seem to listen to nothing but metal, and others who listen to nothing but electronic instrumental music, and are all incredibly enthusiastic about what they love. That's fantastic.

I hate to point out errors but I did notice that the album Dogrel is in there twice, once under Fontaines DC (the correct name) and again under DC Fontaines. Combining these two entries would bump it up the list.

• Upvote 3

As ever, thanks for organising all of this. :wub: 

I'm pretty surprised at No Geography's placing - I thought it got a bit of a mixed reception when it was released but that isn't a bad result!

And yes, a 2010s poll would be awesome... :) 

• Upvote 1

Fantastic to see one of my albums on here (Prana Crafter). If any game developers are interested in working with me for some sound design, please contact me through social media, I’m game. 

Great work @ngchol. Lots of albums and bands I've never even heard of, so I'm looking forward to sampling some of the list over the coming weeks and months.

Remind me again what the numbers after each album stand for - is the first number the number of votes the album received and the second number the total number of points, so Fear Inocolum by Tool was voted for 4 times for a total of 36 points?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Great work @ngchol. Lots of albums and bands I've never even heard of, so I'm looking forward to sampling some of the list over the coming weeks and months.

Remind me again what the numbers after each album stand for - is the first number the number of votes the album received and the second number the total number of points, so Fear Inocolum by Tool was voted for 4 times for a total of 36 points?

yes that’s right... Rank - Artist - Album [Total number of votes] [Total points] .

• Upvote 1

I’ll get the 2010s poll running in a week or so and let it run for a month. The rule we had for the decade polls run in 2010 was that you could choose up to 20 albums rather than 10, with 20 points for 1st place, 19 for second, etc - shall we keep that? Personally, I’d find it very difficult to narrow a decade list down to 10 albums.

• Upvote 3

Didn't feel like I'd listened to enough this year to have a solid 10. Despite that, I'm surprised the Kanye and Charli XCX records didn't make the list.

Looking forward to the decade poll @ngchol

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

Could you run the poll with all the combined albums of the year surveys for the 2010s?

you mean combine the results? I don’t think that would work well, as the number of voters fluctuates from year to year, so albums from a relatively low-turnout year wouldn’t be fairly represented.

5 minutes ago, ngchol said:

you mean combine the results? I don’t think that would work well, as the number of voters fluctuates from year to year, so albums from a relatively low-turnout year wouldn’t be fairly represented.

oh yeah that's a good point.

I think if you just rely on combining the older polls, you'd miss out on all of the music we've been late getting around to. All of my favourite music that was released in 2010 wasn't necessarily stuff I discovered during 2010. :) 

4 hours ago, Marlowe said:

Didn't feel like I'd listened to enough this year to have a solid 10. Despite that, I'm surprised the Kanye and Charli XCX records didn't make the list.

With regards to Kanye, I’d imagine it’s because he is widely regarded as a Trump-loving dickhead these days and this has eclipsed the quality of his music. 

4 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I think if you just rely on combining the older polls, you'd miss out on all of the music we've been late getting around to. All of my favourite music that was released in 2010 wasn't necessarily stuff I discovered during 2010. :) 

And you’d miss out on all the growers and records that remained favourites rather than those that were just short term flings. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Agree with all of that. It would be interesting to compare. 

I certainly agree with that. It would be really interesting to do the albums of the decade poll and then compare that to an aggregation of the ten annual polls. No idea how much work aggregating the ten polls would be though. 

1 hour ago, The Hierophant said:

I certainly agree with that. It would be really interesting to do the albums of the decade poll and then compare that to an aggregation of the ten annual polls. No idea how much work aggregating the ten polls would be though. 

Probably an hour of work, no more. I’ll do it after the poll has finished, as the comparison will be interesting.

• Upvote 2

I listened to the Floating Points album. I like some electronic music of this type, but I've got to say, after two listens, the whole thing lacked much rhythm or melody and just felt like a load of sound effects and beeps that had been strung together for me. I don't really get it.

However, after just one listen, the Tool album seems a lot more my kinda bag.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I listened to the Floating Points album. I like some electronic music of this type, but I've got to say, after two listens, the whole thing lacked much rhythm or melody and just felt like a load of sound effects and beeps that had been strung together for me. I don't really get it.

However, after just one listen, the Tool album seems a lot more my kinda bag.

image.png.a3fbfb09d46bfccdf4660ae59df9cdfd.png

;)

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Have you listened to his previous stuff? This is a much more club oriented sound I would say. Personally I love it, but completely understand how some will not dig it. However, definitely check out his older stuff if you haven’t already. Elaenia is something of a classic and Reflections has an almost Pink Floyd sound.

33 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Have you listened to his previous stuff? This is a much more club oriented sound I would say. Personally I love it, but completely understand how some will not dig it. However, definitely check out his older stuff if you haven’t already. Elaenia is something of a classic and Reflections has an almost Pink Floyd sound.

Nope, I'd never even heard of him before. On a first listen, it sort of reminded me of the Jon Hopkins album from 2018 (I think) that everyone raved about, although a bit more stripped back.

I'll give it another go, but I'm being ruthless with my music listening this year. If I don't gel with it after five listens then it's oot. I've wasted far too much time trying to force myself to like something just because it's at the top of lists like this one.

I love almost everything Floating Points have put out, but even I wasn’t grabbed by Crush. It’s growing on me, slowly, but it would be the last of his releases that I’d recommend starting with. Check Elaenia or Shadows instead.