rllmuk
Mr Do 71

PlayStation Plus Games for January 2020

I've never played an uncharted game, so this is good for me. I'll probably play goat simulator once.

• Upvote 1

I played Goat Simulator for about 5 minutes on GamePass. It's an awful meme game that controls and runs like shit and then I fell through the bottom of the map before promptly deleting it.

3 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Never trust someone who starts a sentence with «honestly»

Especially when they end the same sentence with «to be honest»

18 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Literally 3 of the best games ever made ever, given away for free.

pfft

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Especially when they end the same sentence with «to be honest»

See also: people who start with «To be fair»

Like, when are they ever? You know theyre full of shit.

31 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Honestly, «To be fair» is just as superfluous as «like», at the start of a sentence. Either way, they're not worth anyone's time.

Anyway, honestly, I haven't played the first uncharted and so I may give that a go but it probably doesn't hold up that well today.

The Uncharted Collection is a pretty amazing "freebie". Goat Simulator? Ehhhh. Never played it, and was never that interested in ever trying.

Definitely grabbing the former, despite owning it previously.

In Goat Simulator, get to the top of the rollercoaster, lick the carriage, and then tell me that’s not worth the money.

• Upvote 4

On 01/01/2020 at 17:53, gooner4life said:

Literally 3 of the best games ever made ever, given away for free.

Microsoft can have Gamepass, games with gold, they could give away the entire MS Store and they wouldn't have a single game that would be better than Sony's PlayStation Plus offering this month, that's why PlayStation will always be king.

Wenger out.

• Upvote 6

Uncharted 2's multiplayer was one my highlights of that gen, and I still haven't forgiven ND for cutting it from the remaster.

On killcounts, though, as much as I understand the oft-mentioned dissonance, would it really help if Drake ‘only’ killed 50 people instead of 500? My virtual killcount over 30 years might be in the hundreds of thousands by now. I did enjoy the relative peace of Tomb Raider: Underworld and haven't bothered with the reboots, but I still had to shoot things in lieu of fresher mechanics.

[edit]

Films often get around this by having their bad guys hoist with their own petards, but if you do that in a game it's a cutscene.

• Upvote 1

On 01/01/2020 at 16:46, GamesGamesGames said:

Never bothered with Uncharted so that's a decent do.

Uncharted 4 is one of the great first party games on PlayStation. I never played the series before this collection came out pre uncharted 4 and I was disappointed to say the least. The first 3 games are so old hat and don’t look remotely impressive by today’s standards. I think they’re shit. Uncharted 4 is still great though.

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, deKay said:

In Goat Simulator, get to the top of the rollercoaster, lick the carriage, and then tell me that’s not worth the money.

it is better than uncharted 1,2,3 I'll give you that.

Just now, Down by Law said:

How many people does the Goat kill? 

I don't think you can actually kill anyone? They can get blown up and butted off buildings and dragged underwater, but they just stand up again.

yeah Batman had the same story - I'm not falling for it again - that goat has seen some shit.

• Upvote 3

I played the original Uncharted around the time 2 or 3 was out, with a view to getting into the series, didn't enjoy it much so never bothered with the sequels. At the time everyone was telling me they improved considerably and I should really give it a shot, and that big respect for the Uncharted franchise continued as each game came out. I never bothered though.

This thread is the first time I've seen multiple people saying the Uncharted games are shit. Interesting.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

I played the original Uncharted around the time 2 or 3 was out, with a view to getting into the series, didn't enjoy it much so never bothered with the sequels. At the time everyone was telling me they improved considerably and I should really give it a shot, and that big respect for the Uncharted franchise continued as each game came out. I never bothered though.

This thread is the first time I've seen multiple people saying the Uncharted games are shit. Interesting.

They're imo not shit, but they're the gaming equivalent of big budget CGI-tastic cinema blockbusters. All visual spectacle and amazing graphics with gameplay streamlined as much as possible - between shootouts you're engaged in zero stakes platforming and pushing up to advance to the next shootout or cutscene. Playing the first three now means you're missing out on the key part of their appeal: pretty graphics. That's why you get people saying they've aged badly, because if you don't have any nostalgic feelings towards them or aren't invested in Sony as your favourite company in the whole world, you're left with a very basic and unengaging game.

That being said, I did enjoy 4 way more than the others. It was just a tad more interesting to play and of course the graphics were prettier than ever. YMMV

• Upvote 8

Uncharted 2 is still the best one. I've said before that I dont like the shooty bits in Uncharted games, far too scripted and happen all too often, ruined 4 for me in the end. They nail the exploration aspect in these games though (same for Last of Us).

2 I thought went off a cliff towards the end and having played through 1 and 2 I didn't get that far into 3 simply through having played too much of them.

By coincidence picked up 4 recently as light relief since I'm also about 5 hours into the Witcher 3.

8 hours ago, Darwock said:

I think they're great. One of my favourite series. But if you wre playign them for the first time today, you may struggle with 1. But 2 & 3 hold up pretty well though

I enjoyed the first three at the time. I always found them engaging and diverting rather than exceptional.

But why the hell would I want to play them now when I can download 2 year-old AAA games for less than a tenner.

17 hours ago, bumgut said:

Ps+ is a stingey as fuck service

Nah its been pretty great over the years.  You can't please everyone though.

I think they would be better merging the PS+ and PSnow services together for the PS5 for one sub.  Perhaps increasing the amount on offer with PSnow (PS1, 2, 3 etc) is going to the their answer to backwards compatibility.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Parappa said:

Nah its been pretty great over the years.  You can't please everyone though.

I think they would be better merging the PS+ and PSnow services together for the PS5 for one sub.  Perhaps increasing the amount on offer with PSnow (PS1, 2, 3 etc) is going to the their answer to backwards compatibility.

If xcloud service gets rolled into Xbox Games Ultimate then they really need to do that. 

Is that all cloud based back compact? Pretty sure lag wouldn't be such a huge problem with legacy stuff as no multilayer as such. 

On 02/01/2020 at 13:58, Orbital2060 said:

Also people who start a sentence with Like. 

My plan was to play Uncharted 2 over Christmas  but never got round to it (restarted HZD instead). Shall get round to it next I think, as want to play them in order - a bit late to the party on those games. 

On 02/01/2020 at 19:18, bumgut said:

Ps+ is a stingey as fuck service

Those companies with their services that allow you to play multiplayer games with people across the world, whenever you want.

AWFULBADS. I SHAKE MY WHOLE FIST AT THEM, FROM THE INTERNETS!

concept-photo-dodgy-internet-online-trading-angry-fist-emerging-tablet-device-computer-screen-angry-fist-123207408.jpg.0e096cd15f32f715e9501ba8be784aae.jpg

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Those companies with their services that allow you to play multiplayer games with people across the world, whenever you want.

AWFULBADS. I SHAKE MY WHOLE FIST AT THEM, FROM THE INTERNETS!

concept-photo-dodgy-internet-online-trading-angry-fist-emerging-tablet-device-computer-screen-angry-fist-123207408.jpg.0e096cd15f32f715e9501ba8be784aae.jpg

you do remember when that was free, right?

• Upvote 2