What games did you complete? 2020 Edition

On 06/01/2020 at 09:22, moosegrinder said:

6th Jan 2020

Rage 2 - I have no idea why I invested so much time in this. It's not awful, it's just spectacularly mediocre. The distribution of activities and missions across the map is terrible with massive chunks being unexplored as there was no reason to go there. I finished the game 3 guns and 2 abilities short, which didn't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome of anything. 

Took me about 39 hours. I really should have stopped much sooner.

11th Jan 2020

Darksiders III - 80% of this game is really good, 20% is amateur hour garbage. I love the whole aesthetic and 'lore' and whatever and it makes me want to go back to the first two. The difficulty is all over the place, the combat is much better since they put the old combat system in (but I keep trying to bloody dodge cancel) and the loading times are terrible but overall I enjoyed it. I wish there was a map and some kind of recap of where you need to go next because the skull on the compass that points you in a direction now mainly useless.

Still, looking forward to Genesis next month.

Taking bets on how long I'll keep this up for. I reckon we're not making it out of January.

01. Shovel Knight

The one thing that makes this tolerable is that the penalty for death is minor. This is important because you will die a lot.

Enjoyed this enough to start Spectre of Torment immediately after, which is similar in a lot of ways but feels like a different game, and has clearly been designed with Specter Knight's toolset in mind.

Grandia. Something made me come back to this, which I had been enjoying but put down a few months ago after reaching a difficulty spike 30 hours in, and I spent a mostly agreeable further 15 finishing it off. Holds up better than most of the era and the combat system is a lot of fun, but its held back by a poor translation, dull dungeons and me playing it immediately after Dragon Quest XI. 

1. Luigi’s Mansion 3 (02/01)

2. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (03/01)

3. Jenny LeClue (04/01)

4. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (11/01)

After enjoying Shadow of the Tom Raider, picked up the other two for eleven quid. This is VERY different to shadow, had much more of a survival vibe to it, and felt much darker and more violent. It’s good though, although I think I preferred Shadow. 

I think these kind of games just really satisfy me. Good mix of story and action, not too hard. Just good Sunday afternoon, lose yourself in it. Looking forward to the next one. 

Bloodstained ROTN.

God damn amazing. Even went for most the achievements which I rarely do th we days. Managed 100% map only 2 achievements left which will be too time consuming. Loved it. 

11/01 - Yakuza 3 (PS4) - this is a pretty bare bones remaster (higher frame rate and resolution) with the added bonus of all the content that was cut from the English PS3 release being reinstated. I remember finding the beginning really slow when I played it on the PS3, but I really enjoyed getting to know the orphans by doing a pile of fetch quests for them this time around. Okinawa is a great location too, and it was nice to get away from Kamurocho for a bit. In terms of pacing it’s all over the place, there’s a ridiculous number of side quests (I completed 97 out of 119!) and a lot of the battles are drawn out due to the enemies constantly crabbing. Later entries refined a lot of these issues and are far better in this regard. Anyhow very good. It took me 38 hours and I ended up with a 66% completion (mainly due to eating every item in every restaurant). Roll on Yakuza 5 next month.

11/01 - Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (PS4) - how do you complete a fighting game? Play through arcade mode once? With every character? Unlock all the unlockables? I played through the story mode which triggered the games credits, so I think it counts, but to be honest I was in two minds as to whether to include this here. This is the final revision of Dead or Alive 5; which means loads of characters to choose from and loads of unlockables. An enjoyable diversion, and I really enjoyed tag mode as well as the four characters from Virtua Fighter making guest appearances, but compared to Dead or Alive 6 it's lacking in single player modes and graphically it doesn't come close. I'll be returning to the newer game.

12/01 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (PS4) - I played through all of this in a day. It’s not very good. I quickly dropped the difficulty to easy and played it as a mission based button masher. It’s short enough in length (9 missions, total play time of around 5 hours) to not completely outstay it’s welcome, but I’m glad it’s over. Had this been developed by one of Activision's in house teams then I wouldn't be overly disappointed, but seeing as this comes from Platinum, who have made some of the very best action games of the last 10 years this is disappointing. A huge wasted opportunity.

1. Pokémon Sword – Completed Pokédex (Switch)

Giving myself a point for this as a 'second' completion. After finishing the main story, I went and completed my Pokédex. Don't think I've ever managed that in a Pokémon game before.

On 01/01/2020 at 09:39, SuperBrother said:

01/01 One Piece World Seeker (Xbone X)

13/01 Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (Xbone X)

This has been done to death in terms of explaing the game so I won't waste time. Suffice to say it was a nice breezy diversion and a hell of a lot more fun than the last movie (not hard TBH)

Overall 7/10 - a bit derivative, and didn't do anything particualrly well enough to warrant some of the more sensationalist hyperbole out there about the game.

1. Pedro the Banana (Xbox One)

First half of the game was really great fun, it was fast paced, the shooting was a joy and the flow of the action was really well done. Sadly the second half introduced some basic puzzles that slowed the game down and it just wasn’t as fun to play, there were also a few frustrating bits too but thankfully when you die, you restart more or less where you died.

7.5/10

On 13/01/2020 at 20:40, gossi the dog said:

11/01 - Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (PS4) - how do you complete a fighting game? Play through arcade mode once? With every character? Unlock all the unlockables? I played through the story mode which triggered the games credits, so I think it counts, but to be honest I was in two minds as to whether to include this here. 

On 01/01/2020 at 01:08, Unofficial Who said:

Completed doesn't have to mean 100% completion, that would be madness.

Counts in my head. You got an ending, you don't need to get all the endings. I'll probably be including Outrun sometime this year on similar grounds.

14/01 - Untitled Goose Game (XB1X) - It's slight, but my daughter laughed like a loon throughout the whole thing, so it's a winner in my book.

Ongoing: Persona 5 (PS4), Afterparty (XB1X), Forza Horizon 4 (XB1X)

First of the year for me

Sword Art Online - Fatal Bullet - PS4. A vast improvement over the last SAO I played, I had a lot of fun with this. The games have created their own timeline from the other media and find ludicrous ways to pull characters in from newer series, but this one was probably the best integrated, as it blended the anime series plot into the game. Play it on normal level and it's not particularly challenging but the gameplay loop is fun, you have lots of different ways to play depending on the build and weapons you choose and it's fake MMO style works quite well. The DLC is a pain in the arse though. They make the same mistake Ni No Kuni 2 did which is to make the DLC insanely hard unless you grind a shed load of levels, add in super hard bosses, a boss rush, a section where you can't open a door unless you have 5 keys from another area etc etc. Great if you have played the game to death, done online, maxed your weapons blah blah blah but stupid if not. I just wanted to play through the story so banged the DLC on easy. I've got the last DLC to play yet though which I don't think is as daft in it's obvious padding but we will see.

First game down in a new year of trying to play a bit less:

Jedi Fallen Order - (Xbox One):

Finished on Jedi Master difficulty. Overall a great game but a bit rough on the technical side of things. Lots of flickering textures, characters appearing a split second after the environments in cut scenes and wookies who look like somebody scraped a fur texture into Morph with a fork. One of those games that doesn't really excel at anything - some okay platforming, some okay combat, some okay exploration, but pulls together to be much more than the sum of its parts.

I got stuck on the final boss for what must be close to 3 hours across a couple of sessions to the point where I ended up looking up tips online and actually writing out my own notes to cement in my head what to do. Once I'd done that I won on my third attempt of my next session with a heart stopping all or nothing final attack where I had no health left and used my last sliver of Force to get an advantage to land the final blow. Perfect way to end it all except... (spoilers for ending)

Spoiler

The Darth Vader sequence was well done, the ending on the Mantis I liked, but the cut between the shot where Cal smashes the Holocron and says "Let's leave their destiny to the force" and the credits really annoyed me. The music ramps up in the background and all I can think is "They're going to smash cut to the credits and the Star Wars theme! They're going to do it! Yes!". It's all lining up for that perfect closing moment, the timing, everything is perfect...!

And then the game just freeze framed like a bad 90s sitcom (possible Xbox One S jank to thank for that), and then cut to the credits with some understated background music.

Proper shit.

Everyone involved in that sequence should have a word with themselves.

2020 so far:

Spoiler

January:

Jedi Fallen Order (Xbox One)

Gemini Rue (PC) - I was thinking I hadn't played any adventure games for a long time despite being a fan of the genre. I knew the Wadjet Eye games had a good reputation having played The Shivah a while back and thought this would be a good one to pick up next. I definitely wasn't disappointed.

As a pixelated neo-noir point 'n clicker it absolutely nails the look and feel of the older adventure games from which it takes its inspiration. The story had some good twists and no frustrating puzzles. I could take or leave the shooting mini-game, though, and there were definitely times - in the limited locations - where the fact that it was essentially developed by one person curbed its ambition. Still impressive, though. I didn't realise the Wadjet games were all by different developers and this guy had only made this one. He definitely needs to do something else.

19/01 - Afterparty (XB1X) - A disappointment after Oxenfree. The same neat little dialogue system is there, and the voice acting is great, but the central characters are unappealing, the game itself is riddled with bugs and there's some rough stuttering between areas. Mostly it just lacked the compelling mystery of Oxenfree, though, and I was bored long before the end.

Previous:

Spoiler

14/01 - Untitled Goose Game (XB1X) - It's slight, but my daughter laughed like a loon throughout the whole thing, so it's a winner in my book.

Ongoing:

Persona 5 (PS4), Forza Horizon 4 (XB1X), Sunset Overdrive (XB1X)

Jan

20/01 Paperbark (PC) It's a short game about strolling around the Australian bush as a wombat. Same camera angle as Untitled Goose Game (indeed the devs list House House under their thanks section in the credits.) Don't get your hopes up though, this is a walking simulator with a bit of hidden object searching thrown in. It has a nice water colour style to it and I'd pretty much describe it as a short interactive child's picture book. At least that's how I would have described it two weeks ago. Now the depictions of Australian wildlife feels more like a document to all that we might have lost. What really hit home were all the familiar bird calls and insect songs that I haven't heard  as much or at all this summer. It definitely wasn't intended as such but the ending seems bleak rather than the whimsy that they were going for.

Humble Bundle is selling this as part of a massive compilation of 29 games (Australian made, themed or with Australian connections) that can be picked up here for the next few days.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/australia-fire-relief?

09/01 The Cat and the Coup (PC) It's short. (15 minutes long) It's free.It's an artistic representation the life of Prime Minister of Iran, Mohammed Mossadegh, and his subsequent downfall through a CIA- and MI6-engineered coup during the 1950s. It was re-mastered to work on new systems this year, again along with Black Friday it's worth playing given what's happening right now. edit: Playing it again it felt a little different and by reading the notes I've read the developer has upgraded the visuals to 4K and there's more art now (each puzzle room transition was previously black whereas now it's a huge mural.) Worth replaying if you played the original back in 2011.

09/01 1979 Revolution:Black Friday (PC) Ultra short Telltale game that veers from frustrating to eye opening. Having you as the role of an aspiring photo journalist in the chaos of the revolution in Iran in the late 70's is inspired, allowing you to try and make sense of the chaos. And this is what this game is really good at, humanising the people who had to navigate this period along with the messiness of politics, friendships, class, religion and family. I was impressed with the photo taking which would then

put a real life photo taken from the same angle alongside it.

If it's in your library now is a great time to play this (and The Cat and the Coup, also available on Steam.)

08/01 Wolfenstein:the Old Blood (PC) So reading some of the reactions back in the day some Wokfenstein fans didn't like the New Blood. "Why is this set in the 60's and not the 40's? Why isn't this set in castles and sewers and other grey places? What's all this plot stuff? And why is BJ a soldier? He's OSA you casuals!" The Old Blood feels like Machine Games reply, "All right you big babies. Here's what you want. Hope you're good enough!" A prequel to the New Blood it's all killer no filler. It has some early sections that are too reliant on stealth until you work out a couple of tricks but then it's a roller coaster ride from beginning to end.Great for fans of the New Blood and for those disappointed in the New Blood. This is what you want.

03/01 Wolfenstein:the New Order (PC) Bought this on a whim ages ago on a sale and then ignored it because I was bored of grey and brown FPS games. Played maybe 20 minutes of the first level last year and then abandoned it. Had another crack at it this year purely because you can sort your Steam games by space taken and expected to either trudge through out of duty or leave it aside given that the first 20 minutes felt like a guided corridor shooter. Blimey, this game is a bit special isn't it. I loved it. I was going to wisecrack how it was like Gone Home, but with guns but the alternate levels between action and exploration really give you time to breathe in the setting. I'd avoided all spoilers so I was under the impression that this was going to be all castles and sewers. Had no idea it was going to feel like The Great Escape crossed with The Italian Job. I had no idea that I'd end up

on the fucking moon!

Seriously if it's in your backlog don't continue making the same mistake I did. It's now firmly one of my favourite FPS games of all time.

01/01 Detroit:Become Human (PS4) I enjoyed Beyond Two Souls most apart from a couple of problematic chapters. But the combination of receiving this for "free" via PSPlus and recommendations from friends I decided to run though it over the Christmas break. I do enjoy these sorts of games and was impressed by the branching narrative which appears to have real choices that lock you off from other paths. It's heavy handed in places but I'd recommend it to fans of Telltale and Dontnod games. Next to Death Stranding it's probably one of the most stunning games on PS4 and it's weak parts are saved by some great acting from the charismatic leads. More complicated than Telltale's output but less so than Bandersnatch. Recommended if you got it on PS-Plus. Edit: Something I almost missed here in summing up, there really needs to be a strong content for this game for the early scenes of domestic violence which might cause some distress.

On 01/01/2020 at 09:39, SuperBrother said:

Reveal hidden contents

01/01 One Piece World Seeker (Xbone X) - an open world action / RPG lite in the mould of later AssCreed games. Middle of the road gameplay, repetitive fetch quests but sky high production values with nice HDR implementation. The story is written by Oda so fits well, this could easily be an arc in the anime. For fans of the show I would say a solid 8/10, for every body else,  WTF is this weaboo shite / 10.

13/01 Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (Xbone X)

This has been done to death in terms of explaing the game so I won't waste time. Suffice to say it was a nice breezy diversion and a hell of a lot more fun than the last movie (not hard TBH)

Overall 7/10 - a bit derivative, and didn't do anything particualrly well enough to warrant some of the more sensationalist hyperbole out there about the game.

19/01 Shenmue 3 (PS4 Pro)

I really wanted to love this, really. Unfortunatley the Edge review was about right, nice for sentimental reasons and great to see the story continue but it's painfully outdated in terms of mechanics and gameplay. Some very tedious "I need to scrape together a load of cash for macguffin x" sections which tested my patience to the extent I'm not sure if I even really enjoyed the last third or so.

I'm not going for a score here as objectively it's a hard 5/10, with the rose tinted glasses on perhaps a 7.

Updated for Shenmue 3

January

Injustice 2

Finished first run at the story mode, albeit far from finished with the game. Brilliant, absorbing fighter, with so much depth to play with. Will go back and finish the other paths in the story, and enjoy learning a few more characters.

First time I’ve really been absorbed by a fighting game. Obviously I’m not great (too old to intuitively pick up the button combos!) but now see why high level play is so impressive to many. The skill level online is crazy. Also enjoying watching the pros on YouTube. So glad I plucked the game out my pile.

On 11/01/2020 at 12:59, strawdonkey said:

01. Shovel Knight

02. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

I think I liked this even more than the original. It feels like Shovel Knight only you're in control of a character who has an unfair advantage against the set of enemies, and the challenge comes from not screwing those up.

Still suffers from the one issue I really had with Shovel Knight in that if you get above an enemy you can usually bounce on it repeatedly until it's dead, but even then it's still not devoid of skill - just that it feels a little bit like cheating instead of reading the boss patterns.

January

1. Resident Evil 7(XB1) - After finishing Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 4 last year I was after more Resident Evil, didn’t enjoy it as much as 2 and 4 but still a solid horror game, played through most of DLC which I mostly enjoyed and would recommend if found at a cheap price. 8/10

2.Batman Arkham Asylum(XB1) - Played this originally on PS3 and still holds up in 2020, combat is still great, gameplay felt varied and story was pretty interesting. 7.5/10

1 hour ago, strawdonkey said:

01. Shovel Knight

02. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

03: Racedierun

This was one of the free games given away by Qubic at the end of last year. I'd had my eye on it already - a mixture of pound-shop F-Zero and a puzzle game, early levels see you avoiding the odd obstacle and trying not to fall off the track, and towards the end you'll watch a replay back after completing a level and wonder how it was ever designed for a human to attempt.

This is a really fucking hard game. There's sixty courses and another fifteen bonuses which are unlocked by completing the original sixty with certain criteria - boosting for the whole level, picking up a hidden item, etc. 

Here's a video of course 40, which was the last of the original sixty I finished.

See that number at the top left? That's the number of times I've failed the course this session. This is the fourth session I've had on this level alone, and I'd estimate a total of about 600 failures across all of them.

The game decided my time was good enough for a B-rank. Given that one of the bonus courses is unlocked by finishing sixty other courses with SS-rank, and this one took me 600 goes just to get to the end without dying...

The pool of players who will have seen these levels must be absurdly small - on one stage I've got the 20th-best time on the leaderboard and it's F-rank. I've had an absolute blast with this game but I will definitely not be taking on any additional challenge. 3,019 deaths is plenty thanks.

On 06/01/2020 at 21:29, Pelekophoros said:

01/01: Superhot (XBone)

03/01: Old Man's Journey (XBone)

05/01: The Turing Project (XBone)

19/01: Halo: CE Anniversary (XBone)

God there's some absolute bullshit level design in here. It took me a while to notice the massive glowing arrows that tell you where to go, only for them to then be facing the wrong way when you inevitably retrace every fucking step you've ever made. Absolutely powered through the levels though. That shotgun is still awesome.

Off the mark!

2020-01-19:  Sisters Royale -- [Switch]

2020-01-20:  Vader Immortal episode 1-- [Rift]

Can't talk about Sisters Royale yet (embargo), but I got a Rift S yesterday and rinsed the first Vader Immortal. What can you say about such a slim experience? Well, the graphics are a bit rubbish. The design is solid, and I know the engine had to be simplistic to ensure it could be a Quest experience but, even so, it's colourless and lifeless. That said, the world (and your interactions with it) are interesting and the story is - at least - original.

The nagging voice in the back of my brain was lambasting it for having less actual game content than the similar, 'experiential' Arkham VR. It's not really fair for me to criticise a title that's meant as an onboarding platform for VR noobs when I'm not one, but being uncharitable you could argue that Arkham makes far more of an effort whilst trying to accomplish the same thing, and that there's almost as much content (and definitely more fun to be had) in the free Battlefront/X-Wing/Rogue One level on PSVR. I paid £7.99 and feel it should be £3.99, honestly.

I can't believe it, we're still in Jan and I've already ticked off two games, though I did start them last year:

Jedi: Fallen Order

This was a perfectly-timed Christmas present for me, arriving in the midst of my resurgent Star Wars mania during which I finally properly got my son in Star Wars, we'd been watching all the films and fixing up our Star Wars Lego.

It's a decent game, utterly elevated for Star Wars fans by its setting and being properly integrated into the new expanded universe. The combat is very good but not nearly as good as Sekiro. The exploration is okay but can be annoying and very videogamey. The environments are very impressive at the bookends of the game, when they have that gargantuan scale you expect from Star Wars, but quite bland and generic in between. They're almost like 3D Mario platform worlds without the charm.

Despite all that I found it very compelling. The power curve is perfectly pitched in that you really do feel like you're making meaningful progress, and each unlockable skill adds to the fun. There are no boring stat boosts here, it's all fancy new moves and Force powers, and you advance by learning how to integrate them into combat effectively. It's skill-based rather than stat-based, which is a relief in these days of looters.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

This is the first COD I've played since Modern Warfare 3 almost a decade ago. Supposedly a return to form, from my perspective it just seems consistent with the last COD I played, which I guess is what people mean.

The campaign in this is tastelessly brutal. Civilians massacred, children threatened and even killed, twitching bodies, urban terror, the player put in the position of making split-second decisions about whether the person in front of them is an enemy combatant or not. It reminded me a bit of Rambo 4 - incredibly violent to the point that it genuinely makes you consider the nature of violence. Whether or not you feel as though a jingoistic, gun porn COD game should be the vehicle for this kind of content, it's undeniably effective at giving you a tiny bit of insight into what it might be like to be caught up in some of these events.

From a gameplay perspective, it's classic COD. There's a good variety of settings and gameplay types, with deafening all-out assaults interspersed with more effective tense, close-quarters affairs. The two night-vision missions are the most memorable. Despite being highly linear and scripted, there's a surprising amount of latitude to do things a bit differently to get different outcomes. 

Plus, Captain Price is back and does some incredible scenery chewing.

[sniff][moustache twitch]: "Let's operate"

On 06/01/2020 at 18:00, keptbybees said:
Spoiler

Jan

Piczle Colors (Switch) - I've always enjoyed Picross style puzzles and this is a collection of colour based Picross puzzles, a couple of trickier ones by the last few levels but this was fairly straightforward. Iit comes in a triple pack with two line puzzle games which seem much harder to 100%. Nice to play in short bursts or on journeys though.

Gears 5 (Xbox One)- I nearly didn't play this as I wasn't that enamoured with Gears 4 but I'm glad I did as this felt like a big improvement on the series to me. There are a few rough edges and some annoying insta-kills,  especially for one boss that I've talked about in the main Gears 5 thread, but overall it is still a great cover shooter and additions worked well. I don't really play much online anymore but this has got me tempted to jump in with some of the extra modes. I imagine it would be an even better experience in co-op but I'm happy to move on to other games now. 

Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Now Climax (360/Xbox One) - This is a game I have half played through a few times and across different platforms so I finally decided to get to the end of the game when I saw it sitting in my games list. I had a save that was most the way though the first mode so I picked up from that, I haven't done all of the modes but I got to the end of the main story thread. It still plays as well as I remembered but it is a shame that they shortened four of the game modes for this release as the levels in their place aren't the best, if I had known before that they have been part restored on the PC version I'd have gone to that instead. Good pick up and put down game that has a lot more to it than you'd think if you want to complete it 100%.

Wandersong (PC) - I absolutely loved this. Yes it is easy to play through and some of the platforming sections are wonky as anything but the story and characters really stand out. Genuinely made me laugh in places and I made sure that I talked to everyone as often as I could to get as much out of it as I could. It has also some of the implements music through out in interesting and different ways. As I said earlier, it isn't really a challenging game and it won't be to everyone's tastes but I thought it was charming and definitely worth a look, especially as it is available on Gamepass now and you won't have to put too much time in to work out if it is for you or not.

Jan

Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) After my first half hour with the game I was not that impressed and I stopped playing as I found the bike annoying to control. I went back to it and finished the rest in one sitting and loved it, the build up to the end was great and I could finally see what everyone had been raving about. One of the most stylish games I've played, it is wonderful when you are in full flow and I wish I hadn't cared so much about the rankings on my first playthrough. I'd definitely recommend trying to play it all in one sitting first time through. That said I still have some gripes with the game, such as the bike controls, and it feels like getting the gold ranks will be down more to trial and error/routing repetition rather than the rhythm-action game I was expecting.

Untitled Goose Game (Xbox One) This was my second playthrough having already completed it on the Switch last year. Obviously it was a lot shorter to complete but it is still fun seeing the reactions to your antics, definitely going to go back and possibly even have a go at the timed challenges and extra 'to-do' bits which I haven't done before.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Switch) Another game that I'd played before but it had been long enough that I had forgotten the main story line and most of the cases. I enjoyed it a lot more that I did first time through, not sure if it was down to knowing exactly what I was getting into/less hype but I found its flaws less annoying. Though don't get me wrong, it is still annoying that you have to do it in the exact order that the game wants you too or when you pick an option that should work but doesn't despite the underlying logic. Overall I'm looking forward to playing though the rest of the trilogy, I think I played 2 or 3 cases in the second before and none of the third game, definitely going to have break first so I don't get fatigued from the style.

2 hours ago, keptbybees said:

and it feels like getting the gold ranks will be down more to trial and error/routing repetition rather than the rhythm-action game I was expecting.

The gold ranks are definitely a matter of learning the stages and remembering where everything is. I saw it more as a performance you have to refine until it's just right and the whole video comes together in a single take. Depends if that sounds appealing, I guess.

1. Resident Evil 7(XB1) 8/10

2. Batman Arkham Asylum(XB1) 7.5/10

3. Halo: CE Anniversary(XB1) - Started this before Christmas and only finished it because I had invested so much time into it. Pretty much a slog all the way through, levels were repetitive and far to long which unfortunately has tainted my nostalgia for the game and put me off playing any of the other Halo games. 5/10

29/01 - A Plague Tale (XB1X) - Essentially The Last of Us with rats, as you stealthily escort someone through a bleak environment occasional engage in some brutal stoning. Even shares some of the same story beats. It's well executed, though. The soundtrack is of particular note, with it's scraping, scratching strings and rough percussion, and it's one of the prettiest games I can recall playing. The rudimentary combat doesn't really support the greater emphasis on combat in the final hour or so, and it became a little frustrating there, but it's amazing to me that this comes from the studio behind  a bunch of licensed games and Fuel (which I fucking loathed).

24/01 - Sunset Overdrive (XB1X) - Enjoyed this about as much as Spider-Man, which surprised me. The humour is, well, a bit zaaaaany, which usually puts me off, but it has its heart in the right place and the core grindin', bouncin' and shootin' is really satisfying. Some tasty boss-battles in there, too.

Previous:

Spoiler

24/01 - Lonely Mountains - Downhill (XB1X) - A nice little game, this. They got the feeling of slinging the bike around corners just right, and avoided the temptation to fill the later levels with novelty shite as a way to add variety. It's a neatly pure experience.

19/01 - Afterparty (XB1X) - A disappointment after Oxenfree. The same neat little dialogue system is there, and the voice acting is great, but the central characters are unappealing, the game itself is riddled with bugs and there's some rough stuttering between areas. Mostly it just lacked the compelling mystery of Oxenfree, though, and I was bored long before the end.

14/01 - Untitled Goose Game (XB1X) - It's slight, but my daughter laughed like a loon throughout the whole thing, so it's a winner in my book.

Ongoing:

Persona 5 (PS4), Forza Horizon 4 (XB1X), Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch), The Outer Worlds (XB1X)

Spoiler

6th Jan 2020

Rage 2 - I have no idea why I invested so much time in this. It's not awful, it's just spectacularly mediocre. The distribution of activities and missions across the map is terrible with massive chunks being unexplored as there was no reason to go there. I finished the game 3 guns and 2 abilities short, which didn't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome of anything. 

Took me about 39 hours. I really should have stopped much sooner.

11th Jan 2020

Darksiders III - 80% of this game is really good, 20% is amateur hour garbage. I love the whole aesthetic and 'lore' and whatever and it makes me want to go back to the first two. The difficulty is all over the place, the combat is much better since they put the old combat system in (but I keep trying to bloody dodge cancel) and the loading times are terrible but overall I enjoyed it. I wish there was a map and some kind of recap of where you need to go next because the skull on the compass that points you in a direction now mainly useless.

Still, looking forward to Genesis next month.

22nd Jan 2020 - Picross E6. Picross, innit. 5/5. Now the question is do I go for E7, Sanrio or one of the Switch 'non-canon' ones as I've done S1, 2 and 3?

21/01 - Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One) - I've stated on several occasions what an absolute mess with no structure the single player side of Forza Horizon 4 is, so I won't go into detail repeating myself. Anyhow I finally got around to spending a good few hours grinding out races to get to Road Racing Level 20; so as to unlock the final Exhibition event, the Goliath. That's done. I can now put this to bed. It's the worst Forza Horizon, but redeems itself with the the best DLC - both Fortune Island and Lego Speed Champions are excellent.

24/01 - Storm Boy (Xbox One) - a video game adaptation of a children’s book about a boy and his pelican. It’s embarrassingly short (I doubt it took me more than half an hour to play through) and there’s no real game. It basically involves walking across the screen to trigger some story, which is occasionally interspersed with an optional mini game. It’s an ok story, but I think reading the book would be more rewarding. This is best avoided.

Previously:

01. 01/01 - Persona 4: Dancing All Night (PS4)

02. 03/01 - Sayonara Wild Hearts (PS4)
03. 11/01 - Yakuza 3 (PS4)
04. 11/01 - Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (PS4)
05. 12/01 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (PS4)