What games did you complete? 2020 Edition

23/08/2020 - Alan Wake (PC)

I didn't play this at the time, and I wanted to get through this before the Control AWE DLC arrived next week. To be honest, I kind of wish I'd just read a synopsis.

I'm guessing time hasn't been particularly kind to Alan Wake. The story is cool, in a pulpy, melodramatic kind of way, but the actual experience of playing it is very one-note and often frustrating. Almost every enemy type in the game, of which there aren't many, requires exactly the same tactic; just boost your flashlight at them until they're vulnerable, then shoot them until they're dead. This is simple enough, but enemies often show up from behind you with little warning, and while you have a dodge move I found it very hard to judge when to use it successfully. As a result I'd often die very quickly in ways that felt out of my control, which is never a good thing.

The second DLC episode was quite cool though. It built on some late game ideas in fun ways, making some of the combat encounters more interesting in the process. I was a bit disappointed to find that it ended on yet another cliffhanger, however, which hopefully AWE might help to resolve.

Anyway, it's over now and I'm fully primed for AWE. 

Spoiler

January

07/01/2020 - Control (Xbox One)
26/01/2020 - Final Fantasy X (Switch)

February

10/02/2020 - Disco Elysium (PC)
22/02/2020 - Frostpunk (PC)

March

10/03/2020 - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (Xbox One)
29/03/2020 - Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox One)

April

07/04/2020 - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)

May

04/05/2020 - Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)
09/05/2020 - Streets of Rage 4 (PS4)
23/05/2020 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Switch)

June

05/06/2020 - Vader Immortal (Oculus Quest)
07/06/2020 - Red Matter (Oculus Quest)
17/06/2020 - Beyond Blue (Xbox One)
18/06/2020 - Life is Strange 2 (Xbox One)

July

03/07/2020 - The Last of Us: Part II (PS4)
15/07/2020 - Control: The Foundation DLC (Xbox One)

August

In the past two weeks, both Nioh and Nier Automata. I finished both with a hell of a lot of hours on the clock with each, nearly losing it with Nier at some points. "I've finished....oh"

In the end I completed them in a pretty decent way, both to their final screens and bosses etc. Was a fabulous ride but fuck me I think I'll play some Mame for a few weeks. Nice short, sharp hits.

Who am I kidding, I'm on to Nioh 2 and the TLoU2, plus a ton of nibbles in between. Just discovered Bangai-O on my 360 and Missile Command is getting some love too on my Atari FB.

Games coming out my ears.

8 hours ago, Mogster said:

I didn't play this at the time, and I wanted to get through this before the Control AWE DLC arrived next week. To be honest, I kind of wish I'd just read a synopsis.

I'm guessing time hasn't been particularly kind to Alan Wake. The story is cool, in a pulpy, melodramatic kind of way, but the actual experience of playing it is very one-note and often frustrating. Almost every enemy type in the game, of which there aren't many, requires exactly the same tactic; just boost your flashlight at them until they're vulnerable, then shoot them until they're dead. This is simple enough, but enemies often show up from behind you with little warning, and while you have a dodge move I found it very hard to judge when to use it successfully. As a result I'd often die very quickly in ways that felt out of my control, which is never a good thing.

The second DLC episode was quite cool though. It built on some late game ideas in fun ways, making some of the combat encounters more interesting in the process. I was a bit disappointed to find that it ended on yet another cliffhanger, however, which hopefully AWE might help to resolve.

Anyway, it's over now and I'm fully primed for AWE. 

Reveal hidden contents

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

Well not quite as you didn’t play American Nightmare... which did give an ending of sorts (although not very convincing that it’s ‘real’).

I just finished a run through of both titles myself and whilst I completely see your points I thoroughly enjoyed both. I’ll expand when I get round to updating my post but I’d maintain AW is still well worth playing today (and looks amazing on PC given how old it is).

The Last of Us Pt. 2

I always struggle to look forward to forthcoming Naughty Dog games, despite having played the first Last of Us (+ Left Behind) and all the Uncharted's.  Perhaps it's because I already know what I'm going to get.  I also know they're going to be too long.  Even Lost Legacy could have been trimmed a bit for me.  So, I approached The Last of Us Part II with fairly grounded expectations.

This feels like the most confident Naughty Dog game I've played.  The pacing feels very deliberate - the spacing between encounters and exploration sections is expertly judged.  To me, there's an apparent awareness of the potential monotony, routine and repetition of the core gameplay mechanics.  This awareness is evident in at least a couple of places, where they throw a surprise in to keep you on your toes.  The amount and delivery of supplementary detail (through written materials, optional conversation) isn't as overwhelming as it is in many other games.

As ever with Naughty Dog, the areas are well-crafted.  There are enough different assets to enable each location to feel, in at least some way, unique.  I like to try to head off the beaten track at most points, and you're generally rewarded with something by doing so.  There's not a lot of wasted space.  There's also a sense of threat that remains throughout.  Even though you know you've cleared an 'encounter', there's still an over-arching tension that means you rarely feel comfortable.

From a story perspective, I guess I don't really have any strong feelings.  I never really felt particularly invested, but the writing is far from terrible and is well acted.

I played it on one of the easier difficulty settings - I don't think I'd have gained a better experience with more challenge.  It gives you more crafting materials than you're likely to need, but ammo can still be fairly scarce.  I could probably have skipped the progression systems (new abilities, weapon crafting), which suggests they're one of the weaker areas of the game.

Overall, I guess I've come away feeling fairly impressed.  I wouldn't usually want to dedicate this much time to a linear, story-driven game, but I never felt it was a chore to return to the game to make progress.  Good stuff, and probably justifies the meta score.

26. Superhot (Switch)

SUPERHOT.gif.5dac1fba0d0a502a1a2752b0f6be2b3b.gif

I haven't got a massive amount to say about this one. I enjoyed what I played and I liked the clean aesthetic, but it's quite a slight game and I felt like it would have been better if it had focused more on the gunplay than the narrative, which didn't really strike a chord with me. The shooting and shattering was definitely satisfying, but I felt that the better levels were the more linear ones, where you're funnelled down a corridor and have to deal with the enemies in a set sequence as the pop out, like a lightgun game or choreographed slow-mo shooting scene, as opposed to the levels where you're attacked from all sides, not knowing which way to turn, and often getting shot in the back of the head as a result because you happened to look the wrong way. It probably wouldn't suit the style, but a mini-map or some other indicator to show you in what direction the enemies are coming from would have been handy. Without one, some of the time when I got to the end of the level the replay where everything is sped up would look very slick and Matrix-like, whereas at other times it would look a bit Benny Hill, with me running round on the spot waiting for something to shoot.

Still, if you can pick it up for around £5, like I did, then it'd definitely worth playing, and it's only 2 hours long.

6.5/10

Spoiler

1. Death Stranding (PS4) - 8/10

2. Mark of the Ninja Remastered (Switch) - 7/10

3. Firewatch (PS4) - 7/10

4. Dishonored 2 (PS4) - 7/10

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) (PS4) - 6/10

6. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PC) - 8/10

7. Half-Life 2 (PC) - 9/10

8. Gears 5 (PC Game Pass) - 8/10

9. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 9/10

10. A Plague Tale: Innocence (PC Game Pass) - 7/10

11. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (PC) - 7/10

12. Lonely Mountains: Downhill (PC Game Pass) - 8/10

13. The Last of Us (PS4) - 10/10

14. The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4) - 9/10

15. Sniper Elite V2 (PC) - 6/10

16. Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC) - 6/10

17. Rayman Legends (Switch) - 6/10

18. Monument Valley (Android) - 7/10

19. The Last of Us: Part II (PS4) - 10/10

20. The Gardens Between (PC Game Pass) - 6/10

21. Subnautica (PC Game Pass) - 7/10

22. Observation (PC Game Pass) - 7/10

23. Ape Out (PC Game Pass) - 7/10

24. Dark Souls 3 (PC) - N/A (Replay)

25. Paper Mario: The Origami King - 7/10

22. Mortal Shell
Yet another Darlk Souls homage. There are some new ideas, especially the 'harden' mechanic, and it's a nice compact game that resists any temptation to pad itself out. But it's overall a bit uneven and repetitive, as well as a little to familiar.

33 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

22. Mortal Shell
Yet another Darlk Souls homage. There are some new ideas, especially the 'harden' mechanic, and it's a nice compact game that resists any temptation to pad itself out. But it's overall a bit uneven and repetitive, as well as a little to familiar.

How hard is it on a scale from one to balls?

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

How hard is it on a scale from one to balls?

I'd say it's similar to Dark Souls, but a bit uneven and with a rather stingy healing system. It's also ridiculously opaque at the start, and it's possible to enter tougher areas too soon, but once you get your bearings and power up a little, the structure's actually quite simple.

I didn't get stuck on anything for very long anyway. From veterans should be fine with it.

On 17/08/2020 at 12:45, ImmaculateClump said:

Super XYX - Challenging, Green Knight, No TLB (9)

Managed to get my 1cc with the bonus stage and true last boss the other night so I'll update that one.

Super XYX - 1cc, Challenging, Helltiger, TLB (9)

Spoiler

Wolcen (8)
Monolith Relics of the past DLC - Loop 4 (9)
Mushihimesama Futari - Normal 1cc (10)
DoDonPachi - C-L 1cc (10)
Cardinal Sins - Trial 1cc (10)
Darius Gaiden 1cc (8)
Gunbird 1cc (7)
ZeroRanger - White Vanilla 1cc (10)
Dezatopia 1cc (up to and including route L) (9)
Skycat - Expert 1cc (6)
Roundguard (4)
Gunfire Reborn - Elite solo (10)

On 21/08/2020 at 09:42, Pelekophoros said:

01/01: Superhot (XBone)

03/01: Old Man's Journey (XBone)

05/01: The Turing Project (XBone)

19/01: Halo: CE Anniversary (XBone)

01/04: Quantum Break (XBone)

02/04: Halo 2 (Xbone)

04/04: Call Of Duty MW (2019) (XBone)

13/05: Control (PS4)

02/06: Call Of Duty WWII (PS4)

18/06: God of War 2018 (PS4)

26/06: Shadow Of The Colossus (PS4)

05/07: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

06/07: Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

07/07: Universal Paperclip (web)

09/08: Carrion (Xbone)

10/08: Robocop (Arcade)

12/08: Sly Spy Secret Agent (Arcade)

14/08: Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja (Arcade)

16/08: Batman Arkham Knight (PS4)

19/08: Vigilante (Arcade)

20/08: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Campaign Remastered (PS4)

25/08: Glass Masquerade (Switch)

Got this following a recommendation by @strawdonkey in another thread, in a bundle with the second game. I found this far, far easier than Picross (which scratches a similar itch) and probably more mindful and rewarding as a result. Ultimately, it's a jigsaw puzzle with no point of reference. Heading straight into the second game and, for £3 for the pair, it's plenty of value for money.

January

Injustice 2 (story)

February

Don’t Die, Mr Robot

Untitled Goose Game

Titanfall 2 (campaign)

March

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Middle Earth: Shadow of War

April
Rogue Aces

Burly Men At Sea

COD: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

Prey (2017)

May

Prey: Mooncrash

Far Cry: New Dawn

July

Stardew Valley (will go back once the 1.5 update releases)

August

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

What Remains of Edith Finch

The Last of Us Remastered

The Last of Us Left Behind

Watch Dogs 2

One good thing about still being jobless is finally getting value out of my pile of shame. Got the platinum for this and had mostly fun doing so. Mostly.

San Francisco is a decent setting, and the missions are generally pretty creative with the tool set available.

Upgrades are a little slow to gather but the game is at least at the less demanding end of Ubisoft’s collectathon scale. Combat generally being a no-no means utilising some enjoyable gadgets, and never really felt the game outstay it’s welcome.

A couple of the trophies are online, and that’s a lot of fun. Still pretty well-populated too, albeit some players will absolutely murder anyone within 100 yards of them. Still, it’s satisfying when you get the drop on someone and snipe them off to hacker heaven.

Booth (PC)

This was an additional bonus game with this month's Humble Choice.  You're conducting food quality control from an isolated booth in the sky.  If you've played Papers, Please, you'll know what to expect from the daily task of food QC - you get a set of rules on what to check, and a constant stream of food upon which to perform these checks.  The rest of the daily routine involves calling one of three take-away restaurants to order food, which gives the opportunity to chat with the delivery people.  At points, you make decisions in the narrative.  It looks like it wasn't originally written in English, as the translation is often a bit wonky.

While I was largely intrigued by the game, there were two aspects which detracted from the overall experience.  The first is that there are simply too many days in the game - that's a lot of monotonous routine!  The other is when it comes to a point where your decisions are assessed.  There were a couple of things the game told me I did where I actually chose the opposite, which makes me question how flexible the ending is.  I got a pretty terrible ending, but I don't feel motivated to go back to try to change it.

29/08/2020 - Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC)

I thought I might as well play this after finishing the main game, despite not quite knowing what to expect beyond knowing it was a budget spin-off of sorts. It's low budget really shows, taking place in three small open world areas in which you carry out variations on the same actions multiple times. It does however expand on the combat of the original game, offering a wider selection of more powerful weapons. It's a lot easier as a result, and in my case a lot less frustrating too.

The story was very slight this time around, which was a shame after it was such a highlight of the main game. It provided something of a coda to that story, but stopped short of providing closure due to the Night Springs framing device suggesting nothing was actually real. I guess we might see for sure in AWE.

Overall it was okay. It was repetitive, but solid enough and didn't outstay its welcome.

Spoiler

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

20. Journey to the Savage Planet (XB1) - First person exploration adventure game with an off-beat comedy vibe (think Will Ferrell sort of thing). I went in not expecting to overly like it after bouncing off The Outer Wilds which had that whole explore/die/repeat thing going on, however after a stressful week I ran through this in a shade over 10 hours over three consecutive evenings and it proved just the tonic I needed. If you've got Game Pass give it a try.   - 7/10

On 17/08/2020 at 14:53, FiveFootNinja said:

1. Jedi: Fallen Order (XB1) - 10/10

2. Untitled Goose Game (XB1) - 8/10

3. Gorogoa (iPad) - 9/10

4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XB1) - 8/10

5. Abzû (PS4) - 6/10

6. Braid (XB1/360) - 10/10

7. A Plague Tale: Innocence (XB1) - 8/10

8. Quantum Break (XB1) - 6/10

9. Oxenfree (Mac OS) - 7/10

10. Monument Valley 2 (iPad) -  7/10

11. Sniper Elite 4 (XB1) - 8/10

12. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - 10/10

13. Fractured Minds (XB1) - 5/10

14. The Last Guardian (PS4) - 8/10

15. Journey (PS4) - 10/10

16. God of War [2018] (PS4) - 10/10

17. Superhot (XB1) - 8/10

18. Deliver Us the Moon (XB1) - 7/10

19. Virginia (XB1) - 5/10

Assassin's Creed 2 - Continuing my first-time playthrough of Ubisoft's historic action 'em up, with this, the game some say is the best in the series. Is it the best one? Well... It's an ambitious upgrade from the first, but even having only read about but not played the successive games, it's clear this hasn't aged quite so well.

It's got a decent setting. I'm still impressed that Ubisoft had the gall to set a mainstream action game in the Italian Renaissance as much as they did the Holy Crusades. It's still something that you'd think a big games company would knock down as not focus group-friendly with people. But I guess Ubisoft were a little looser back then, who knows? The various cities you visit have a good atmosphere and, like the first game, they try to keep each area distinctive.

Ezio may have been a refreshing change compared to Altair of the first game, but I couldn't quite see him as the great character that people said he was. He's charismatic but rather generic. The start of the story sets him up with an interesting romp around his home city but inevitably descends into a revenge tale against a steady stream of targets. Perhaps in the days of dude bros he stood out, but we're a little past that now (a tiny little bit).

I did think it went on a little too long, though. By the end, it seemed to go off on a tangent that didn't seem to really fit in with the pacing of the story right before it seemed to be reaching a conclusion. Only after did I remember those chapters were extra DLC that had been excluded from the game yet deliberately designed as a missing part of the main story rather than a side story in order to get people to pay for them. Sort of essential and non-essential at the same time and the beginning of Ubisoft's annoying adding on of unnecesary extra bits that you need in order to get the 'full' experience. Thankfully it was added for free in whatever version I got - I think I got the whole game for free at some point, I can't quite remember. The only other extraneous extra bit was that challenge level you got by logging into U-Play. Nice to get some new content but rather a pointless exercise.

I enjoy the overarching wraparound story of Desmond, perversely enough, so I was a bit disappointed to see you only pop out of the Animus one and a bit times to go over modern day things. At this point, like a lot of people were back then, I'm intrigued with the overall conspiracy-laden story. However, now knowing what happens at the end and how they expand on the magic / technology stuff of the first game, I can see why they soon abandonded the whole plot for something more sedate - I mean, how far can you really carry that masive ending revelation over a decade of games without getting silly?

Now collectables, then. I ended up getting them all. First of all, for anyone like me who tried to get all the flags in the first game, getting the feathers is a lot easier this time around. They're almost always at the same height now, making it easy to know where to look and not making it too exasperating. Seeking treasure chests by looking at the map was a bit of a chore by the end, though. It's still tolerable, but here's really the start of the Ubisoft bloat and I can see how the content is being repetitively stretched. Thankfully the quantity to quality ratio isn't too far apart, but what I said about this not quite aging well is represented in the fatigue that this model of in-game activity eventually begets. Actually, what am I saying? Collecting rubbish is still going on today.

I was interested in the feature where you can build up your home base gradually over the course of the game. Sadly, while it was fun for a while, it didn't last that long and exposed it as rather sparse by the end. Only the mad conspiracy puzzles of The Truth side quest ended up keeping up the intrigue until the end of the game.

But at the end of the day the free-running stuff is still fun and it feels great to jump and climb about when it works, which most of the time. Fun but unchallenging combat and unexpected control flips aside, that core feature makes the game work and all that repetitive collecting is ameloriated by the chance to leap from rooftop to rooftop again and again.

Looking forward to the next game in the Ezio trilogy.

Previously...

1) AM2R - PC - 2016 (1991)
2) Ecco The Dolphin - Mega CD - 1992/3
3) Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 3DS - 2012/14
4) Mega Man X - SNES - 1993
5) Super Metroid - SNES - 1994
6) Donkey Kong Country - SNES - 1994
7) Chrono Trigger - SNES - 1995
8) Star Fox 2 - SNES - 2017 (1995)
9) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES - 1995
10) Xenogears - PS1 - 1998
11) Sonic the Hedgehog - Megadrive - 1991
12) Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - SNES - 1996
13) Kirby Super Star - SNES - 1996
14) Earthbound - SNES - 1995
15) R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 - PS1 - 1998/9
16) Tomb Raider III - PC - 1998
17) Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation - PC - 1999
18) Tomb Raider Chronicles - PC - 2000
19) Shenmue HD - PC - 2018 (1999/2000)
20) Shenmue II HD - PC - 2018 (2001)
21) Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - PS3 - 2012 (2001)
22) Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness - PC - 2003
23) Jak II: Renegade - PS3 - 2012 (2003)
24) Jak 3 - PS3 - 2012 (2004)
25) Tomb Raider: Legend - PC - 2006
26) Tomb Raider: Anniversary - PC - 2007
27) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - PS4 - 2015 (2007)
28) Tomb Raider: Underworld - PC - 2008
29) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice - 3DS - 2016
30) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - PS4 - 2015 (2009)
31) Final Fantasy Adventure - GameBoy - 1991
32) Alpha Protocol - PC - 2010

33) Day of the Tentacle Remastered - Vita - 2016 (1993)

Completed twice - once for the first time in a decade and then immediately again with the developer commentaries turned on. The remaster really is excellent, treating the game like piece of history to be preserved, re-drawing all the art in the exact style of the original, going back to old audio recordings and re-cutting them, enhancing the music... and then offering the unaltered version underneath. I've played Full Throttle and Grim Fandango Remastered and they're both excellent, but this is the most faithful and perfectly done of the three. The only problem is I can't stop myself from switching between old and new graphics on every screen - it's just one button press and it's like an addiction!

Originally released in 1993 when the most advanced console games were Sonic and Star Fox, this came out on PCs looking like a feature cartoon with full voice acting and incredible art design that has withstood the test of time. It's not just a looker, either; it's got great writing, humour, clever puzzles and originality oozing out of its sewage pipes. The use of multiple characters and using time travel as a mechanism for problem-solving is inspired. Its puzzles boil down to the usual "find item to do thing" variety, but without the annoying 'pixel hunting' you often get with the genre. Instead, each room has just a few obvious points of interest, and the challenge comes from working out how it all fits together. The game sends you back and forth through an intricately woven tapestry of sub quests that you can broadly tackle in any sequence you like. It's challenging enough to make you think and only occasionally did I get properly stuck.

It also contains, as a game-within-a-game, the entirety of its predecessor, Maniac Mansion. I've spoken a bit about MM before, particularly about how open and unrestricted it was, allowing you to get yourself trapped or killed while trying to overcome a precise sequence of timed events, atypical of almost every LucasArts adventure since. While it's brilliant in its own way (and I would love a proper remake of it one day), Day of the Tentacle doesn't allow you to die or fail, and so you can enjoy the sillier dialogue options or see what happens when you do something you're not supposed to, and everything works out fine. I think ultimately it's much harder to design a game where you can't box yourself into an unwinnable scenario, and I appreciate the clever writing used to achieve this.

This game is timelessly brilliant, and now that it's been restored, remastered and upgraded, it's one of the best point-and-click adventures there is.

24. Ori and the Blind Forest (Switch)

EgoBxhiVoAAAKch?format=jpg&name=large

(Bonus screens, some late-game)

Spoiler

EgoBxhFUMAA05eu?format=jpg&name=large

EgoBxg4U4AAKaWw?format=jpg&name=large

EgoBxg9UYAEyWKZ?format=jpg&name=large

If this were any further up my street then I'd have to seriously consider charging it rent. What a fantastic game. The animation, the art direction, the music - brilliant - but what really elevates it is just how wonderful it feels to simply move Ori around the cleverly-designed levels. And you can tell that the developers know this as well: in true Metroidvania fashion, you start off with just a basic repertoire of abilities, but by the end of the game you can more or less fly across each stage with an effortless grace that is entirely joyous.

Without wanting to sound like I'm bragging, I really didn't find it too hard, either, especially after hearing tales of nightmarish difficulty spikes that caused some to abandon it. There are a few sticking points, but the checkpointing mechanic and tightness of the controls meant that I was inspired to retry the difficult sections rather than give up on them. Compared with Hollow Knight and Guacamelee (both of which I was reminded of throughout), I thought it was more or less frustration-free. It's also a much leaner game than those two; I got to the credits after about seven and a half hours but immediately jumped back in to mop up the secrets I'd missed and 100 percent it, which I still managed comfortably in less than 10 hours.

A lovely experience. Metroid done through the lens of Disney. Essential for anyone who enjoys the genre, or for people who enjoy action platformers in general. I'm hoping that the sequel can match it :)

9/10

30/08/2020 - Control: AWE DLC (Xbox One)

It's been a bit of an Alan Wake month for me, although less so than I was expecting in this case. He does show up in AWE, but while you do find out a little more about his story it's not really a big deal. It's a good bit of fan service though.

Other than Alan, and a few Darkness related scenarios this is a much more familiar chunk of DLC than Foundation. You get a new chunk of the Oldest House to explore instead of a whole new environment, and other than the big bad you're only fighting familiar Hiss enemies. It's more Control, which is good, but it's not much more than that, and probably even less noteworthy if you haven't played the Alan Wake games.

Spoiler

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

30/08/2020 - Control: AWE DLC (Xbox One)

On 25/08/2020 at 09:43, Pelekophoros said:

01/01: Superhot (XBone)

03/01: Old Man's Journey (XBone)

05/01: The Turing Project (XBone)

19/01: Halo: CE Anniversary (XBone)

01/04: Quantum Break (XBone)

02/04: Halo 2 (Xbone)

04/04: Call Of Duty MW (2019) (XBone)

13/05: Control (PS4)

02/06: Call Of Duty WWII (PS4)

18/06: God of War 2018 (PS4)

26/06: Shadow Of The Colossus (PS4)

05/07: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

06/07: Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

07/07: Universal Paperclip (web)

09/08: Carrion (Xbone)

10/08: Robocop (Arcade)

12/08: Sly Spy Secret Agent (Arcade)

14/08: Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja (Arcade)

16/08: Batman Arkham Knight (PS4)

19/08: Vigilante (Arcade)

20/08: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Campaign Remastered (PS4)

25/08: Glass Masquerade (Switch)

30/08: Erica (PS4)

A below average mystery thriller attached to less than the least you can do to create a game does not an effective interactive movie make. I mean, 7th Guest was better than this. Still, as a family, we had a giggle playing through it. Judging by the rarity on the trophies, not many people have though. Can't say I blame them - if I'd done this solo it would have been a desperately dull affair.

28. INSIDE (replay) (PC)

7165VbO.jpg

I friggin adore this game. I loved it back in 2016 when I played it on my PS4, and I love it now, playing it in 4K and at 100fps on my PC and OLED screen.

I love the premise and tone of it, the art direction, the sound, the silences, the score. I love the lighting, the shadows, the muted colours, the use of blank space, the animation (my god, the animation). I love how it just feels to control the boy (and the other...things you encounter). I love the enemies. I love the puzzles. I love the secrets. I love the ending.

I love how bloody weird it is and how ambiguous it is and how I don't really understand it at all and how it doesn't bother to explain itself. I love the environmental storytelling that, tantalisingly, only tells half a story. I love its unabashed, swaggering confidence.

But most of all I love the unrelenting, unmitigated, unyielding sense of absolute fucking menace that pervades the whole thing. The nastiness is exquisite.

Easily one of my top 5 games of the generation. An absolute masterpiece.

Played this year:

Spoiler

1. Death Stranding (PS4) - 8/10

2. Mark of the Ninja Remastered (Switch) - 7/10

3. Firewatch (PS4) - 7/10

4. Dishonored 2 (PS4) - 7/10

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) (PS4) - 6/10

6. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PC) - 8/10

7. Half-Life 2 (PC) - 9/10

8. Gears 5 (PC Game Pass) - 8/10

9. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 9/10

10. A Plague Tale: Innocence (PC Game Pass) - 7/10

11. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (PC) - 7/10

12. Lonely Mountains: Downhill (PC Game Pass) - 8/10

13. The Last of Us (PS4) - 10/10

14. The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4) - 9/10

15. Sniper Elite V2 (PC) - 6/10

16. Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC) - 6/10

17. Rayman Legends (Switch) - 6/10

18. Monument Valley (Android) - 7/10

19. The Last of Us: Part II (PS4) - 10/10

20. The Gardens Between (PC Game Pass) - 6/10

21. Subnautica (PC Game Pass) - 7/10

22. Observation (PC Game Pass) - 7/10

23. Ape Out (PC Game Pass) - 7/10

24. Dark Souls 3 (PC) - N/A (Replay)

25. Paper Mario: The Origami King - 7/10

26. Superhot (Switch) - 6.5/10

27. Ori and the Blind Forest (Switch) - 9/10

28. INSIDE (PC) - N/A (Replay)

1. Resident Evil 7(XB1) 8/10

2. Batman Arkham Asylum(XB1) 7.5/10

3. Halo: CE Anniversary(XB1) 5/10

4. Life is Strange(XB1) 8/10

5. Luigi Mansion 3(Switch) 8/10

6. New Super Lucky’s Tale(Switch) 7/10

7. Catherine: Full Body(PS4) 8.5/10

8. Untitled Goose Game(Switch) 6/10   

9. Sleeping Dogs(PS4) 9/10

10. Doom 2016(PS4) 9/10

11. Peggle 2(PS4) 7/10

12. Spider-Man(PS4) 9/10

13. Crash Bandicoot(PS4) 7.5/10
14. Resident Evil 3 Remake(PS4) 8/10

15. Spyro the Dragon(PS4) 6.5/10

16. The Order 1886(PS4) 6.5/10

17. Resident Evil 2 Remake(PS4) 9.5/10
18. Sayonara Wild Hearts(PS4) 8/10

19. Resident Evil Revelations 2(PS4) 7/10
20. Donut County(PS4) 6.5/10

21. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition(PS4) 8.5/10
22. Ratchet and Clank(PS4) 8/10
23. Crash Bandicoot 2(PS4) 6.5/10
24. Crash Bandicoot 3(PS4) 7/10

25. Dragon Quest XI S(Switch) - I don’t normally like JRPGs and which means I generally avoid playing them however this had such good reviews I thought I would try the demo, 3hrs in and I was hooked. 52hrs later and I see the credits roll, I really enjoyed the storyline and the characters and I didn’t mind the battle system to much. I know there is a 3rd Act to play but I want to move onto something else so I’ll probably come back that it at a later date. One of my favourite games of the year and a game I will look back with great fondness for years to come. 9/10

02/09/2020 - Combatribes (Arcade)

I suppose a benefit of home working is you can quickly play through an arcade game at lunch (or when you should be working :ph34r:).

I actually tried Shadow Warriors first, but that was much harder than I remember, so picked this randomly whilst looking for P.O.W., a game I have fond memories of (but wasn't there - I was playing via a web browser so the selection was limited - but now I'm thinking of downloading MAME again.)

Anyway, this is a Renegade-esque beat-em-up where you'll face off against hordes of goons with some very limited left and right scrolling. The moveset feels similar to Renegade but it's nowhere near as tight with the controls or fun to play. You know it's an arcade game due to the complete lack of any damage mitigation available to you, plus the spongey enemies that are geared to hoovering up those credits.

It's rubbish basically, with an ugly art style, stiff movement and none of the style and elegance that Renegade had (and I imagine was released before this too). Avoid.

Previously completed:

Spoiler

18/08/2020 - South Park: The Stick of Truth (PC)

16/08/2020 - Marvel's Avengers Beta (PC)

15/08/2020 - Deliver Us The Moon (PC)

06/08/2020 - Bombshell (PC)

01/08/2020 - World War Z (PC)

01/08/2020 - For Honor (PC)

30/07/2020 - Soda Dungeon 2 (PC)

17/07/2020 - Swords & Souls: Neverseen (PC)

05/07/2020 - Hellpoint: The Thespian Feast (PC)

04/07/2020 - A Short Hike (PC)

22/06/2020 - Late Shift (PC)

22/06/2020 - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC)

21/06/2020 - Final Fantasy XV (PC)

14/06/2020 - Bright Memory (PC)

11/06/2020 - A Normal Lost Phone (PC)

09/06/2020 - The Outer Worlds (PC)

07/06/2020 - Sin Slayers: The First Sin (PC)

26/05/2020 - Astrologlaster (PC)

25/05/2020 - Demon Stone (PC)

23/05/2020 - Stories Untold (PC)

03/05/2020 - Streets of Rage (PC)

29/04/2020 - Inside (PC)

21/04/2020 - Call of Duty WW2 (PC)

19/04/2020 - Wheels of Aurelia (PC)

15/04/2020 - Sword Omen: Legacy (PC)

02/04/2020 - Mother Russia Bleeds (PC)

29/03/2020 - Operencia - The Stolen Sun (PC)

20/02/2020 - Ruzar: The Life Stone (PC)

20/02/2020 - Alder's Blood: Prologue (PC)

17/02/2020 - Universal Paperclips (PC)

15/02/2020 - Gris (PC)

21/01/2020 - Gears of War 5 (Xbox One X)

19/01/2020 - Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls (Xbox One X)

05/01/2020 - Night Call (PC)

02/01/2020 - Remember Me (PC)

Spider-Man PS4

I just finished the main story in this and I had a blast. The web-slinging is super effective and I loved taking on waves of assailants, to the point where I sometimes finished them off and just missed out on a challenge and was more than happy to start again. The way you can pounce around combining skills and gadgets is terrific.

It was never too difficult either, generally beating most story hurdles first or second time.

But I have to add that the side missions and collectathons were poorly integrated and felt very lazy. I didn't mind so much the bags and the sightseeing but the Taskmaster stuff was often a chore. The character models, especially Peter Parker, were decidedly wooden and last gen. Still a solid 8/10.

Glass Masquerade (Switch)

On the surface this is a throwaway jigsaw-like puzzler but there's something about the art design, music and stained-glass beauty of it all that raises it to a blissful, magisterial level. It has a wonderful mindful quality that saw me complete it in three days (and I played hardly anything else during that time). It also has to be one of the best bargains I've ever picked up on the e-shop: around 3 quid for this and its sequel. Top notch.

January

Injustice 2 (story)

February

Don’t Die, Mr Robot

Untitled Goose Game

Titanfall 2 (campaign)

March

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Middle Earth: Shadow of War

April
Rogue Aces

Burly Men At Sea

COD: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

Prey (2017)

May

Prey: Mooncrash

Far Cry: New Dawn

July

Stardew Valley (will go back once the 1.5 update releases)

August

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

What Remains of Edith Finch

The Last of Us Remastered

The Last of Us Left Behind
Watch Dogs 2

God of War III: Remastered

Fired up GOW3 in anticipation of starting GOW (2018).

Only played on normal but at a couple of bosses are a right pain in the arse. Cerberus with added Satyrs is the standout, although weirdly when I finally did beat them, I breezed through. The game is full of difficulty spikes, which on one hand I'll admit at times I just needed to 'git gud', but on other occasions felt like either a lack of polish or overly fussiness in the design. The aforementioned Cerberus boss is a good example; in isolation it's a decent boss fight but the additional Satyrs don't really add anything except the need for more frequent dodging.

On a more positive note, the game looks pretty swish for a 2010 title, particularly the Blades of Exile in full swing and certain parts of the Underworld. Besides a graphical upgrade though there isn't too much else to get overly excited about in terms of replayability. It's still a decent hack and slash adventure, Kratos is still a dickhead and there are some great set-pieces.

Anyway, traded in a load of tat and picked up the sequel for £0. Looking forward to seeing what Santa Monica pull off on the PS4. And if Kratos is still one stubbed toe away from an aneurism.

Moved on to Uncharted 4 having finished a replay of UC1 last month. I last played UC4 at launch and I didn’t really like it. It was certainly my least favourite in the series, however playing again has changed my mind. 

The amount of almost compulsory stealth sections really irritated me four years ago, but I actually rather enjoyed them this time, more so than the shooty bits. Unlike previous Uncharted’s I really felt the shooting seemed out of place this time, particularly going from climbing into stealth, puzzle, more climbing and stealth and then a huge gunfight. Playing in 4K HDR, it really is astonishing to look at and the production values are off the scale. Some sections are really quite exhilarating like the clock tower climb and being pulled along hanging onto the rope. The story is okay, but my main issue is that Sam irritates the hell out of me. Teenage Sam is fine, adult Sam is a complete twat, but then again Nate is a bit of a wanker. Good to see that Sully’s objectification of women has been toned down as that was a little creepy in earlier games.

So despite some annoyances, I really enjoyed this and think it is a fitting end to Nathan Drake’s adventures as much as I’d like to see another one.

Overall 9 crumbling hand holds out of 10.

Lost Legacy next I think.

Spoiler

1. Pokémon Sword – Completed Pokédex (Switch)
Giving myself a point for this as a 'second' completion. After finishing the main story, I went and completed my Pokédex. Don't think I've ever managed that in a Pokémon game before.

2. What the Golf?! (Apple Arcade)

Getting time to do anything has been tricky, and getting time away from Pokémon Sword & Shield has been even trickier. This is a bloody brilliant and supremely daft game, based on golf. Sort of. I won't ruin any of the jokes, but there are a lot of them and they're all genuinely funny. Had this on 99% for ages, but finally tracked down that last secret and got 100%.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019) (Switch)

As I mentioned in the thread, this is an excellent example of game design which hasn't aged at all in 27 years. The graphics and audio are wonderful, the map and dungeons are just tricky enough to have you scratching your head, there are some really fun boss battles and lots of secrets to discover — I've yet to find 27 seashells. I've only scratched the surface of the dungeon designer, but that is also brilliantly executed. I really hope they remaster the Oracle games in this style also. 
Can't wait to buy the re-remaster in 2046/10

4. Pokémon Ultra Sun (3DS)

Sweet Jesus, this game has a lot of bloat, which is a shame as it's otherwise really good. Finished the main story in around 35 hours, with another 10 faffing around in Wonder Trades, Festival Plaza and the pointless Poké Pelago. Now I'm in the endgame, it's a lot more fun and I'm looking forward to getting some Ultra Beasts and Legendaries across to Bannk/Home/Sword & Shield.
Long, but worth the investmentl/10

5. Pokémon Shield (Switch)
Same as Sword, but with a couple of different gyms... and a worse cover 'Mon.

6. The Stretchers (Switch)
A really fun game. Played it in chunks when my brother was visiting, so it took a while, though I'd guess you could hammer through it in 6-8 hours. Enjoyed this a lot, and got a few non-gamers involved also absolutely loved playing it. Some of the puzzles are really fun, there's tonnes of slapstick humour and weird driving physics, with a suitably daft story. Can't comment on the single-player antics. Highly recommended.

Previously...

1) AM2R - PC - 2016 (1991)
2) Ecco The Dolphin - Mega CD - 1992/3
3) Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 3DS - 2012/14
4) Mega Man X - SNES - 1993
5) Super Metroid - SNES - 1994
6) Donkey Kong Country - SNES - 1994
7) Chrono Trigger - SNES - 1995
8) Star Fox 2 - SNES - 2017 (1995)
9) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES - 1995
10) Xenogears - PS1 - 1998
11) Sonic the Hedgehog - Megadrive - 1991
12) Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - SNES - 1996
13) Kirby Super Star - SNES - 1996
14) Earthbound - SNES - 1995
15) R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 - PS1 - 1998/9
16) Tomb Raider III - PC - 1998
17) Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation - PC - 1999
18) Tomb Raider Chronicles - PC - 2000
19) Shenmue HD - PC - 2018 (1999/2000)
20) Shenmue II HD - PC - 2018 (2001)
21) Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - PS3 - 2012 (2001)
22) Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness - PC - 2003
23) Jak II: Renegade - PS3 - 2012 (2003)
24) Jak 3 - PS3 - 2012 (2004)
25) Tomb Raider: Legend - PC - 2006
26) Tomb Raider: Anniversary - PC - 2007
27) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - PS4 - 2015 (2007)
28) Tomb Raider: Underworld - PC - 2008
29) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice - 3DS - 2016
30) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - PS4 - 2015 (2009)
31) Final Fantasy Adventure - GameBoy - 1991
32) Alpha Protocol - PC - 2010
33) Day of the Tentacle Remastered - Vita - 2016 (1993)

34) Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game - PC - 2011

Completed to 100% (approx. 24 hours). As per all the Lego games, this is shallow, but accessible and addictive. There's something satisfying about smashing bits of Lego into smaller bits of Lego and watching little spinning studs get absorbed into you. There's also something compelling about the gradually opening-up structure and using multipliers to rack up massive scores while unlocking new characters and 100%-ing levels. I didn't love it, but I felt obligated to see it to the end!

This is one of the earlier Lego games, before they used voice acting, and is probably the game that made the developers realise they'd come just about as far as they could with grunt-and-gesture-based storytelling. I've not seen the fourth 'Pirates' movie, but trying to follow the plot in Lego form was hard enough in the ones I have seen.

The gameplay is pretty much the same as every other Lego game I've played, but the style suits the franchise well enough and the music is epic. It's no Star Wars or Superheroes, but it's a decent entry if you enjoy this sort of thing. I definitely need a little break before I play another one.

September

05/09 Super Mario Bros (SNES/Switch) Finally a chance to revisit the All Stars version and while purists will go for the NES version every time I kind of prefer this version. The levels seem to have more character and the Toad reveals at the end of each level become neat little individual gags.

Previously

58. 22/08 Assassin's Creed:Unity:Dead Kings DLC (PS4)

57. 02/08 KIDS (PC) 

56. 24/07 Close to the Sun (PC) 
55. 23/07 Thunder Cross (PC/Arcade/Switch)
54. 18/07 SKYE (PC) 
53. 18/07 Metal Gear Solid:Ground Zeroes (PS4) 
52. 18/07 Erica (PS4) 
51. 18/07 Symphonia! (PC) 
50. 12/07 Life is Strange:Before the Storm (PC)
49. 05/07 Assemble With Care (PC) 
48. 04/07 Mushroom Cats 2 (PC) 
47. 04/07 Outer Wilds (PC)
46. 20/06 Diamo XL (PC
45. 16/06 Bing Bong XL (PC) 
44. 16/06 Duke Grabowski, Mighty Swashbuckler (PC)
43. 15/06 Lee Carvallo’s Putting Challenge (Browser) 
42. 13/06 Shinobi (Switch)
41. 08/06 Final Fantasy 7:Remake (PS4) 
40. 08/06 Missile Command:Recharged (PC)
39. 07/06 Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS4) 
38. 07/06 Orbt XL (PC) 
37. 07/06 Ding Dong XL (PC)
36. 30/05 Tales from Off Peak City:Vol 1 (PC) 
35. 27/05 30 Miles to Barnard Castle (PS4/Dreams) 
34. 24/05 Super Bit Blaster XL (PC)
33. 22/05 When the Past was Around:Prologue (PC) 
32. 15/05 Mushroom Cats (PC) 
31. 09/05 deltarune:Chapter 1 (Switch) 
30. 21/04 Donkey Kong Jr (NES/Switch) 
29. 21/04 Donkey Kong (NES/Switch)
28. 21/04 Super Mario 2 (NES/Switch)
27. 13/04 Black Mesa (PC) 
26. 11/04 Arcade Moonlander Plus (PC)
25. 10/04 There is No Game (Jam Edition 2015) (PC)
24. 10/04 The Adventure Pals (PC)
23. 30/03 Bioshock Infinite:Burial at Sea (PS4)
22. 23/03 Bioshock Infinite (PS4)
21. 15/03 Bioshock 2 (PS4)
20. 11/03 The Supper (PC)
19. 08/03 Devil's Kiss (PC)
18. 07/03 Time Gentlemen, Please! (PC)
17. 04/03 Bioshock 2:Minerva's Den (PS4)
16. 01/03 Bioshock (PS4)
15. 27/02 Ben There, Dan That : Special Edition (PC) 
14. 21/02 You've to to be Kitten Me! (PS4/Dreams) 
13. 17/02 Art Therapy (PS4/Dreams) 
12. 16/02 Art's Dream (PS4/Dreams) 
11. 12/02 Juanito Arcade Mayhem (PC) 
10. 08/02 Wolfenstein 2:the New Colossus (PC) (plus The Freedom Chronicles DLC) 
9. 03/02 The Outer Worlds (PS4) 
8. 27/01 Quest of Dungeons (PC) 
7. 21/01 Feather (PC)
6. 20/01 Paperbark (PC)
5. 09/01 The Cat and the Coup (PC) 
4. 09/01 1979 Revolution:Black Friday (PC) 
3. 08/01 Wolfenstein:the Old Blood (PC) 
2. 03/01 Wolfenstein:the New Order (PC) 
1. 01/01 Detroit:Become Human (PS4)