rllmuk
Capwn

Film Of The Year (Best film you saw in 2019)

Hmmm, I finally caught Parasite and I have to say I'm slightly bemused. I thought it was perfectly solid, but it doesn't crack my top 10. I expected it to be wrestling for number 1

32 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Hmmm, I finally caught Parasite and I have to say I'm slightly bemused. I thought it was perfectly solid, but it doesn't crack my top 10. I expected it to be wrestling for number 1

Did you see Burning yet?

6 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Did you see Burning yet?

Yeah saw it at the cinema. Loved it. But again not top 10. It really was an incredible year for movies.

I watched Burning last night, it IS the better made film compared to Parasite but it's a slow burn. Parasite is a lot more 'fun'. I'm in the camp of those who prefer Burning. Both were great in their own ways. 

• Upvote 2

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
2. Marriage Story
3. The Lighthouse
4. Knives Out
5. Ad Astra
6. 6 Underground
7. Sound & Fury 
8. Ready Or Not
9. De Patrick
10. Paris Est à Nous

1. Ash is Purest White

2. The Lighthouse

3. One Cut of the Dead

4. Vox Lux

5. The Favourite

6. Long Day's Journey into Night

7. Parasite

8. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

9. Burning

10. The Wild Goose Lake

11. An Elephant Sitting Still

12. In Fabric

13. Missing Link

14. Weathering with You

15. Send Me to the Clouds

16. Dolemite Is My Name

17. Diego Maradona 

18. Promare

19. Midsommar

20. The Farewell

Still probably around fifty films I want to catch. As depressing as a lot of mainstream film is these days, it's been a good year.

• Upvote 4

This is where I've ended up:

1. Monos
2. The Irishman
3. Pain and Glory

4. The Irishman
5. Joker

6. The Lighthouse

7. Uncut Gems

8. The Favourite
9. Capernaum
10. Booksmart
11. Marriage Story
12. Eighth Grade
13. Vox Lux

14. Bird of Passage

Parasite and Once upon a Hollywood couldn't quite make the cut.

2 hours ago, Nequests said:

1. Ash is Purest White

2. The Lighthouse

3. One Cut of the Dead

4. Vox Lux

5. The Favourite

7. Parasite

9. Burning

10. The Wild Goose Lake

12. In Fabric

13. Missing Link

14. Weathering with You

16. Dolemite Is My Name

17. Diego Maradona 

18. Promare

19. Midsommar

20. The Farewell

Still probably around fifty films I want to catch. As depressing as a lot of mainstream film is these days, it's been a good year.

Yeah its been a spectacular year. 

6 hours ago, Nequests said:

1. Ash is Purest White

2. The Lighthouse

3. One Cut of the Dead

4. Vox Lux

5. The Favourite

7. Parasite

9. Burning

10. The Wild Goose Lake

12. In Fabric

13. Missing Link

14. Weathering with You

16. Dolemite Is My Name

17. Diego Maradona 

18. Promare

19. Midsommar

20. The Farewell

The more I think about Ash Is The Purest White, the higher it goes in my list.

6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

1. Monos
2. The Irishman
3. Pain and Glory

4. The Irishman
5. Joker

6. The Lighthouse

7. Uncut Gems

8. The Favourite
9. Capernaum
10. Booksmart
11. Marriage Story
12. Eighth Grade
13. Vox Lux

14. Bird of Passage

You have The Irishman twice.  Yes it was good but not THAT good :)

In order

The Farewell

For Sama

Knives Out

The Favourite

Joker

Marriage Story

Toy Story 4

They Shall Not Grow Old

Official Secrets

Ad Astra
Amazing Grace

Apollo 11

Little Women

Ash Is Purest White

Green Book

Mid-90s

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

lol @ Joker being anywhere near a Film of The Year list. 

Erm, why? Its a superb piece of film making. 

• Upvote 2

Lots I still need to see. In fact for new releases I've only seen the following: 

1. Jojo Rabbit

2. Avengers Endgame 

3. Joker

4. Knives Out 

5. Detective Pikachu 

6. Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker 

7. El Camino 

8. Spiderman Far From Home 

9 Captain Marvel 

10. Triple Frontier 

11. 6 Underground 

• Upvote 2

Good call on booksmart by those that have listed it.

Completely passed me by on release but, having now watched it, it was damn good. Very strong Superbad vibes which is vey much a good thing as that is up there with the best in the US high school comedy sub-genre. Funny, sweet, and a little poignant. 

What a magnificent year for films both mainstream and indie.

I can't believe excellent work like The Irishman, Jojo Rabbit and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood just missed out (for me). Any in my top 5 could easily have been best movie in 2018.

1. So Long, My Son

2. Joker

3. Midsommar

4. Marriage Story

5. Colette

6. Avengers: End Game

7. Us

8. The Amazing Jonathan Documentary

9. Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse

10. Official Secrets

On a personal note I'm gutted Rise of Skywalker didn't make it in. Although it was good in places it was also needlessly compromised.

I have seen very few of the movies in this thread. :/

I hated Marriage Story, Ad Astra and Us, loved Apollo 11 and Midsommar. Thought Joker was okay. I need to watch Parasite, Knives Out and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

On 06/01/2020 at 15:14, kerraig UK said:

1. Monos
2. The Irishman
3. Pain and Glory

4. The Irishman
5. Joker

6. The Lighthouse

7. Uncut Gems

8. The Favourite
9. Capernaum
10. Booksmart
11. Marriage Story
12. Eighth Grade
13. Vox Lux

14. Bird of Passage

Nice to see Capernaum in there.  More people should see it - absolutely phenomenal movie and very close to home for me.  Didn't make my list though as I watched it last year. 

Anyways, here's my Top Ten:

1. Uncut Gems

2. Knives Out

3. Joker

4. Parasite

5. Hustlers

6. The Irishman

7. Midsommar

8. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

9. Avengers Endgame

10. Ford v Ferrari

Films that just missed the top ten:  Us, Dolemite, Peanut Butter Falcon, I Lost My Body, Pain and Glory, Toy Story 4, Ad Astra.

Still need to watch Marriage Story, Monos, Lighthouse, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Jojo Rabbit amongst others.  I have a feeling some of these might change my list somewhat.

Top Ten of 2019 films I saw in 2019!

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT!

Marriage Story 

49736-MARRIAGE_STORY_-_Scarlett_Johansson_and_Adam_Driver.jpg.0d97c9aee330ac49faee9291740102c8.jpg

The phrase ‘gut wrenching’ could have been coined for this film. It’s Baumbach’s best, and not even by a small margin. It begins light and hopeful, moves through a love story into comedy beats, then descends into a crippling drama that makes you physically flinch from the screen. That Baumbach can acknowledge his limits (his proxy - Adam Driver - notes and recognises his privilege) and its narrow focus, avoid both nihilism and sentimentality, then still punch you in the tum with extraordinary power, means this is an instant classic. 

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Hollyweird.gif.52da8bbb90e530b248f27525cb2fcc8a.gif

The key to being entertained by Taratino’s latest is in the title: this is a nigh-on plotless fantasy film. It subverts reality at every step; considers it to be trash, really. It posits that the past as viewed through the lens is an entertaining lie. 

So, if it’s all lies, why not make it pleasant? Why not avert disaster and have the good guys win? Why not rescue a sub-genre of film that was shallow but entertaining? Why not spend some time dream-travelling around the perfect ideal of a city, knowing that the people you care for have your back, and you’ll always have that flamethrower stashed in the pool house (for dire emergencies)? 

For a film featuring some brutal violence and death, it has one of the kindest pieces of historical revisionism (Tate’s survival) of any movie. 

The Lighthouse

lighthouse.gif.33882f0914d21ab1fa13364569a90c32.gif

Egger’s gibberish classic! Sitting comfy in the same universe as The VVitch (‘The Vivitch’, as Mrs. Treb likes to call it), Eggers is back with a tale of folklore, fable and how superstition becomes reality when people are isolated.

Easily the best looking film I saw this year, the chilly black & white photography renders the mundane fantastical and vice versa, letting reality leak out gradually whilst the noxious gas of paranoia and fear seeps in.  Again, not for people who want a meaty plot, but a satisfying meal of samphire and psychosis for them land lubbers who can stand it, arrrrr!

Booksmart

bksmort.gif.bb738f1de08d5402a64bd9a6e9c7e7ac.gif

For your consideration: Best Screenplay. A coming of age comedy-drama that nails both of those things is rare; to have one that satisfies you on both levels is freakishly rare. The two leads are magnificent, it’s generous to its cast (all of whom are cast perfectly) and legitimately feels like a modern film, unshackled from John Hughes and even - dare I say it - Mean Girls.

Deserves much love, and destined to be a cult classic.

Knives Out

knives.gif.4f1bdd92aa92e92f8691d350ca21c80a.gif

Am I saying this is Rian Johnson’s best film? I think I am. Ironic, as it’s arguably his most puffball, flimsy release yet - a modern(ish) take on the Agatha Christie mystery - but one that’s elevated by a fabulous cast who are all reading from the same script, firing on all cylinders, and a director dedicated to pleasing his audience without belittling them. A good egg of a movie.

Leaving Neverland

LEAVING-NEVERLAND_Micheal-Jackson.jpg.a48700a03f735e02078bbfd9e718d520.jpg

Both lightweight comedies and dark documentaries tend to get lost in these kinds of lists, so I wanted to shout out LN as the best released this year, and possibly the most brutal, shocking and difficult doc to reach such a massive audience.

It is not entertaining in any way; there is no prurience here and no character assassination. It picks a side, but then is played as straight as possible along that track. Although the claims  can’t be proven or disproven, I’ve listened to victims for thousands of hours during my lifetime, and the experiences recounted - and HOW they were recounted - rang 100% true to me. 

A daring, bleak and important film.

Us

YouEss.gif.0cdd3699228beea7516c9da97e3df60e.gif

The layers start with the title (Us / U.S.) and strike through several different ones during its runtime. Not the critical darling ‘Get Out’ was, possibly because it tackles a less emotive subject than race (and then in a more oblique way) ‘Us’ is nonetheless a shocking, chilling slasher movie with a message. It talks about displacement, class, privilege, white guilt, militarism and all sorts of other stuff under the guise of horror and, whilst you can’t say it nails every single one of its targets, the richness of its universe and sense of imminent annihilation strikes a sombre cord in me that I can’t quite articulate, but know happened. 

Throw off your fears let your heart beat freely at the sign that a new time is born…

Avengers: Endgame

Enders_Game.gif.81e3d20e0180d8c11fc0821ffa618064.gif

Whatever you think about superhero movies, Marvel in particular (and there are some vocal buggers about, mind. *COUGH*Scorcese*COUGH*) you can’t deny that rounding-out a 20+ film series on this note was a stunning achievement.

Bombastic and crazed, yep, but still rooted in character development, it even took time to develop Nebula in-between the rich club sandwich of Hemsworth’s increasingly important comedy asides, Evans’s crucial ethical core, and Downey Jr’s Galactus-sized ego.

Put this up against any sci-fi fantasy final act film you care to name, and it’s more coherent, more emotive and more satisfying than any of them. A remarkable achievement and, for me, great adventure fun.

High Life

High-Life.gif.bb8520e7e08e023127fadd3537c679c1.gif

Robert Pattinson is stealthing his way to becoming my favourite Millennial actor. Which I seriously didn’t see coming. English actors are often chosen by Hollywood for their ability to go big without going too camp, but Robert is one of those rare breed who manages to be subtle and honest, yet also comfortable and chameleon-like. He puts me in mind of a male Tilda Swinton, to be honest.

High Life isn’t an amazing film, but it is a strange and powerful one. Not afraid to shy away from the dark, animalistic core of humanity, it’s a film about claustrophobia, desire, rape and procreation, against the backdrop of a space ‘mission’ and the unfortunates trapped therein. A film about the void inside and out, it’s no crowd pleaser but is a stark reminder of where we came from, and where we might be going

Dolemite is My Name

dolemite.gif.3d19e652d1a7c5b1d3df6f7b53acbd00.gif

A reminder of why Murphy used to be the biggest comedian on the planet, Dolemite’s tale (as recounted by Eddie) is sort of parallel to his own early career story but, more importantly, is about self-confidence and determination in the face of an industry that considers you a bracketed commodity. Hugely fun, hugely funny; great stuff.

Worst of the Year!

The Dead Don’t Die

Fails to do anything at all. It’s the filmic equivalent of an inert gas, or a rusted truck in a field.

Hellboy

I went in prepared to forgive a lot of failings. There were too many failings.

It Chapter 2

Oi vey, it’s just so bad I don’t know where to start. Worst crime: not scary. Most persistent crime: BOoooOOOoooRRRING!

Pet Sematary

Stephen King had a baaad year

In the Tall Grass

Joe Hill (Stephen King mk.ii) had a baaad year

Dark Phoenix

An exercise in how not to make a film.

Blinded by the Light

Diabolical sentimentality.

Velvet Buzzsaw

Belmet Shitsaw

Terminator: Dark Fate

I dislike it the more I think about it

The Hole in the Ground

Hole lotta nothin’

Most Disappointing of 2019

(Not bad films, just failed to live up to expectations)

The Rise of Skywalker

I like it cos it’s pretty (before you call me shallow, I like lots of films just because they are pretty... The Lighthouse for one!) but I’d never argue it was anything more than a dumpster fire.

Dragged Across Concrete

A little too nasty for my tastes, plus if it was trying to make a point that was anti-fascist (possibly by stunt casting Gibson as well?) I think it failed, and just comes over as celebrating vengeance and individualism.

Toy Story 4

Have you ever read Misery? The protagonist is forced to write another book in a bodice-ripper series he’d freed himself from and, under duress, creates something great. TS4 is a bit like this, but can’t help but still feel unnecessary - remove Forky and it’d drop several stars. He’s the Baby Yoda of the franchise.

The Irishman

The film can’t reconcile the fact these are old men de-aged to look young: they can be given youthful faces but can’t act unencumbered by pain, by wisdom, by regret. They can’t physically act spry. This irrevocably harms what is otherwise a decent movie about age.

Hustlers

The press had me believing this was a tour de force. It’s not, and even re-treads a lot of ground the recent Molly’s Game covered. It’s fine, but superfluous.

Ready or Not

Maybe it suffered because I’d recently seen Knives Out, but other than Samara Weaving’s performance and the very, very end, I just found this to be merely ‘ok’.

Mary Queen of Scots

I’m not sure anyone even knows this exists. It looked amazing, Saoirse Ronan is predictably great, but everything else about it is tedious and overlong.

If Beale Street Could Talk

Pleasant and sweet, but too meandering for its own good. A pudgy follow up to the lithe ‘Moonlight’

Midsommer

Again with the ‘not on the same page as everyone else’ schtick. I was really let down by this, as it left behind the relationships and characters, leaving them as distant as the vibe the film was putting out. Miles behind the best folk horror, in my book, but a stunning-looking production

Parasite

Before you go bonkers yes, it’s a good film. I just felt a bit let down, especially as we had a Korean film about power dynamics and class recently, in the form of The Handmaiden, which I found a lot more interesting. Ah well. 

Most Pleasant Surprise

Happy Death Day 2U

Had no right to be as entertaining as it was, so close after the first film, but it is very good fun

Alita: Battle Angel

A complete jumble, but decent escapism

One Cut of the Dead

I wasn’t as enamored as most, but I thought this was charming and witty

Shazam!

I’ve felt no need to revisit it, but Shazam! Was a ‘good sit’.

Spider-Man: Far From Home

‘Far from Necessary’, really, but in the wake of Endgame and following Spider-Verse I had very low expectations. And it exceeded them as it’s solid, funny in places and with a very good character in Mysterio

Can you Ever Forgive Me?

Doesn’t break any barriers or owt, but tells an interesting tale as a solid dramatic piece.

Best Actress!

Kaitlyn Dever

I’d put her here for Booksmart alone, but as she played a completely different character (brilliantly) in TV’s Unbelievable, she’s a complete shoo-in.

Best Actor!

Robert Pattinson

Doesn’t matter how he got here, just what he’s doing now. All of which is awesome

...and that’s it. Until next year’s list… peace out, bitches!

• Upvote 6