rllmuk
Horribleman

Best feelgood movies.

I haven't seen a really brilliant feelgood movie for a while.

I think what I think of as a feelgood movie might be more nostalgia / bittersweet. 

But ones I have really enjoyed are:

The way way back.

Boyhood.

Me, Earl and the Dying Girl.

The Danish Girl.

Kiki's Delivery Service

My Neighbour Totoro.

What else would be worth a watch?

• Upvote 1

In no particular order:

• Back To The Future
  • Forrest Gump
  • Groundhog Day
  • The Princess Bride

• Upvote 1

Not a movie, but Parks and Rec is a great feel good comedy. It doesn't have a mean bone in its body, unlikely it's always sunny (which I love) where the humour comes from what utterly terrible people the gang is, P&R is so positive and gentle, without being sickly. 

The theme tune just makes me happy.

• Upvote 8

Dolemite is my name, was a very good ‘feel good’ movie I watched recently. Kind of ironic given the comedy of the Dolemite character.

Also watched the goonies again over Xmas which is hard to beat for pure feel good nostalgia.

• Upvote 1

Klaus on Netflix was my most recent one, and festive too. Was going to suggest Goonies (beaten to it), or maybe Tremors. How about Tin Cup? I have a soft spot for this - it's kind of a sport movie (golf), but not really. Really watchable, really likeable, and whilst spoiler, spoiler spoiler, it's still wonderfully feelgood. That reminds me - if you can find it, Fandango's a fun watch IIRC (haven't seen it in many, many years though, so could be rose-tinted specs.)

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Not a movie, but Parks and Rec is a great feel good comedy. It doesn't have a mean bone in its body,

Except when it comes to those punk-ass book jockeys in the Library Department. :angry:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Waggo said:

In no particular order:

• Back To The Future
  • Forrest Gump
  • Groundhog Day
  • The Princess Bride

Forrest Gump never fails to make you smile no matter which bit you tune in from, if it’s on TV. Wonderful film.

• Upvote 1

Star Trek IV: The One With The Whales

I remember recording it off TV when I was a kid and watching it pretty much every night for a good while. No antagonism, just old friends yukking it up in the 80s.

• Upvote 3

One Cut of the Dead. 

It may seem like a strange recommendation, but I’m not wrong. 

• Upvote 7

Everyone's seen them but,

Field of Dreams

Cinema Paradiso

I recently watched "The Family Man" starring Nicolas Cage, which was ok but not a patch on It's a Wonderful Life (which it was clearly inspired by), partly because why would it be as good as that and also because the premise has a fatal flaw that sort of makes a universal feel good conclusion impossible. It's only a feel good movie if you're already a family man ;)

For an old movie that is just lighthearted and fun to watch, I recommend "It Happened One Night".

Hunt for the Wilderpeople and The Intouchables are the two that I've enjoyed most in the last couple of years.

• Upvote 3

As Good As It Gets

Gross Point Blank

Dirty Dancing

Some Like It Hot

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

None of them subtle, but I love them all dearly.

• Upvote 2