IGNORED

Hitman III - January 2021 - Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4/5, & PC

Hitcher

And Berlin 20 mastery done. So far my favourite of the new levels in terms of atmosphere, be it the graffiti-clad walls, pulsing bass from the club or the depressingly long queue for the bogs. Will watch a few speed runs and SASO. Think the latter will be fairly tough but sure someone has figured out a way to do it in under a minute or something daft.

Started China and took out one target before saving to come back to the level over the weekend. 29 areas to discover? Yay! Guess this will take at least a few days to reach level 20. Initial impressions good. The neon looks lush.

I'm always suspicious with the quickest runs that they're just hacked.

China's a lot of non-areas, 2 of those 29 are toilet cubicle sized.  The one after that though is more areas and just about every cm is packed.

Berlin's the one I've not gone back to actually, felt like I needed to unlock equipment for that one.

Finished the game last night, after it crashed the entire game twice on that level, and... Well that train level is barely a level is it? It's like they're ending a massive trilogy with a rejected combination of a small Hitman Absolution level and a stealth section from an FPS or something.  Ironically though because it's so on rails, no-one's going to finish it in a minute. 

For me I think they got too wrapped in their "Story", having basically not bothered having one in the first 2 games, or maybe they're having to do it all on lower resources striking out on their own but I don't think any of the levels in this I like as much as anything in the previous 2 with the possible exception of Dartmoor and if we're honest a lot of Dartmoor is the slightly scripted murder mystery story.  I've gone deeper in doing challenges in this than the previous 2 and I still feel I've mostly seen all there is to see a lot quicker than either other game.  Look at the last levels of each game for instance.

Don't get me wrong, it's good but it's a distance behind either of the others, there's just no Miami or Sapienza or Hokkaido in this game really.

Still, since I didn't bother importing my progress, both to avoid speedrunning hitman 3 with god tier stuff (and I'm glad of that) and because I never played the extra levels of 2 despite owning them, time to go back to the first ones, if only to get a lethal poison unlock.

11 hours ago, Dudley said:

I'm always suspicious with the quickest runs that they're just hacked.

China's a lot of non-areas, 2 of those 29 are toilet cubicle sized.  The one after that though is more areas and just about every cm is packed.

Berlin's the one I've not gone back to actually, felt like I needed to unlock equipment for that one.

Finished the game last night, after it crashed the entire game twice on that level, and... Well that train level is barely a level is it? It's like they're ending a massive trilogy with a rejected combination of a small Hitman Absolution level and a stealth section from an FPS or something.  Ironically though because it's so on rails, no-one's going to finish it in a minute. 

For me I think they got too wrapped in their "Story", having basically not bothered having one in the first 2 games, or maybe they're having to do it all on lower resources striking out on their own but I don't think any of the levels in this I like as much as anything in the previous 2 with the possible exception of Dartmoor and if we're honest a lot of Dartmoor is the slightly scripted murder mystery story.  I've gone deeper in doing challenges in this than the previous 2 and I still feel I've mostly seen all there is to see a lot quicker than either other game.  Look at the last levels of each game for instance.

Don't get me wrong, it's good but it's a distance behind either of the others, there's just no Miami or Sapienza or Hokkaido in this game really.

Still, since I didn't bother importing my progress, both to avoid speedrunning hitman 3 with god tier stuff (and I'm glad of that) and because I never played the extra levels of 2 despite owning them, time to go back to the first ones, if only to get a lethal poison unlock.

I tend to default to MrFreeze’s runs. He’s like a Hitman savant.

I liked enjoyed my first run through China. Have been playing too straight though, very  slow and methodical. Think I’ll do a ‘kill everyone’ attempt just to clean the palette before getting 20 mastery and tackling the last two levels.

See what you mean about the size. Only two main areas really, although missing five sections for the exploration challenge. The exteriors look great though. If I do upgrade to a PS5 later this year looking forward to seeing the level on that system.

Btw, what settings are console users playing on? I’ve stuck with 30fps just because the Pro is super quiet. Sure it’s not fully doing the game’s prettiness justice but the low fan noise makes a nice change.

12 hours ago, glb said:

See what you mean about the size. Only two main areas really, although missing five sections for the exploration challenge. The exteriors look great though. If I do upgrade to a PS5 later this year looking forward to seeing the level on that system.

Yeah, it's lovely but really the level is a non-descript tower block lab and the ICA HQ. I think I'd have mostly rathered, at least from a game play standpoint, they made more of making an HQ that could actually feel like a complete HQ and used the China stuff to fill out something that felt a lot more like an India or Marakesh. It's sort of 2 levels smashed together and while that's the point it doesn't quite work for me because you can't really "explore" like you can so well in say, the Vineyard or even Dubai.

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, it's lovely but really the level is a non-descript tower block lab and the ICA HQ. I think I'd have mostly rathered, at least from a game play standpoint, they made more of making an HQ that could actually feel like a complete HQ and used the China stuff to fill out something that felt a lot more like an India or Marakesh. It's sort of 2 levels smashed together and while that's the point it doesn't quite work for me because you can't really "explore" like you can so well in say, the Vineyard or even Dubai.

I was slightly underwhelmed by how easy the ICA facility is to break into (I kind of stumbled onto a route inside) and how few interesting elements are inside. I guess the guide explains that away by saying it’s designed to be temporary but thought there might be more Easter eggs etc.

My second run was woeful. Gunned down in a hail of bullets after getting impatient and sloppy attempting the drone mission story. Will have another crack tomorrow.

Yeah, your so secret that it pretends not to exist facility probably shouldn't be vulnerable to

Spoiler

People standing outside in uniform while another person openly discussing what the security code is.

The drone one is pretty good change of pace. Although with one plot hole if you're silent assassining.

Spoiler

So after the first lot of drones the two guys come to investigate.

Guy 1 says "Shoot anyone, even if they're us".  Guy 2 agrees.

Only Guy 1 is an enforcer and Guy 2 completely ignored me crouching behind a ventilation shaft holding a sniper rifle and didn't mention it to anyone, including Guy 1 who was standing right there.

2nd run I of course shot them before any of that happened.

First SASO get!:omg:

One of the Chongquin mission stories offers a really opportune way to get it. I thought it might be possible after finishing the story ‘properly’, and feel chuffed to have not looked anything up before attempting it. Need intel from a previous run but otherwise pretty straightforward to pull off :)

Spoiler

It’s the drone/sniper mission. Suggest playing it normally first, then trying it with suit only. There are only a couple of points where you need stealth to avoid being seen.

The intel needed is the door code to access the door in the laundry. Not sure of an alternative way into the building.

Spoiler

You can climb up a building on the other side of the courtyard, then shimmy across.

I assume you don’t have to do the tedious story objective? If so, that would be a pretty easy SASO run? If not, argh.

I’ve only played that mission once, and stumbled on that method of killing them...

1 hour ago, footle said:
  Hide contents

You can climb up a building on the other side of the courtyard, then shimmy across.

I assume you don’t have to do the tedious story objective? If so, that would be a pretty easy SASO run? If not, argh.

I’ve only played that mission once, and stumbled on that method of killing them...

Ah cool, that’s a good alternative route if you don’t have the door code.

Spoiler

The door code is 0-1-1-8 btw.

To trigger the meeting you have to do the drone part, but after killing the targets you can just exit from the roof. I didn’t bother with the core override and still got SA, SASO and Sniper Assassin.

Pretty easy to take out both with one bullet too, just wait Royce moves closer to Hush. She walks across him a couple of times for an easy shot through Hush’s back. Or there’s a gas canister for the explosion challenge.

Had an absolute nightmare with this last night. Just constant server disconnections (sometimes several in a minute) and various other bugs, including leaving the "reconnecting" box on the screen, obscuring all the action, and failing to load various menus. At one point it got stuck in a loading loop so I had to restart it, whereupon it decided I no longer had access to any of my content.

I'm no software developer but I struggle to understand how this game can be THIS buggy when it's essentially the exact same backend they've been running for the last five years. And it's been left essentially untouched for a month after release. You think they'd have rushed out some sort of fix for the server disconnections, at least.

12 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Also my sound keeps cutting out. When I say keeps cutting out I mean the soundtrack will just stop abruptly , perhaps when you reach the top of some stairs for example.

Yeah this happens to me too, especially in the first minute after loading.

Just finished China.

it took 1:38 to finish. I hit the lady target then went and did the guy and then I had to go back and do the other thing but of course that turned out well because I ended up with 48k xp.

The level after it isn’t going very well so far. The intro cut scene cut off half way through so I had to watch it again, I got disconnect during the in game cut scene and the audio and music keeps dropping out.

Mendoza in general seems buggy as hell. I wonder if they ran out of time to polish it as it's the last big level in the game?

I had a couple of genuinely amusing bugs last night though on top of all the usual technical issues:

(minor mission story spoiler)

Spoiler

One of the mission stories is triggered when you overhear a phone call to one of the targets, setting up an opportunity to kill the other target. When I heard this call, I'd just killed the first target. I stood there listening to a conversation with a dead man, in full view of his corpse.

(slightly more detailed mission story spoiler)

Spoiler

You can dress up as the winemaker to give one of the targets a guided tour of the production plant. So I disguised myself as this natty dude complete with beret and false moustache; unfortunately I didn't hide the unconscious body well enough so at some point the semi-naked winemaker was found, ran off, somehow found himself a new suit of clothes and came back and joined my tour, as my doppleganger.

In Dartmoor a phone call is made. I went searching for a phone so I could impersonate the Don but I don’t think that’s a thing? 
They were just trying to tie the story together I guess

I regret nothing buying the digital deluxe version now. If the add on was 15 quid I would get it but 28.99!

I think the ore order price was only a tenner more.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Mendoza in general seems buggy as hell. I wonder if they ran out of time to polish it as it's the last big level in the game?

I had a couple of genuinely amusing bugs last night though on top of all the usual technical issues:

(minor mission story spoiler)

Hide contents

One of the mission stories is triggered when you overhear a phone call to one of the targets, setting up an opportunity to kill the other target. When I heard this call, I'd just killed the first target. I stood there listening to a conversation with a dead man, in full view of his corpse.

That first one happened to me on my first playthrough, it's not even a solveable bug either,

Spoiler

never have targets doing mission critical things relating to the other target.  Make it his secretary calling or something.

The two mission stories are positioned in such a way that you're almost bound to run into that problem sooner or later. You literally finish one story, walk out the door and run into the second one. They really need to invalidate that second story if the first target is dead - assuming they can't change the voiceover at this stage. Did make me laugh though.

15 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Had an absolute nightmare with this last night. Just constant server disconnections (sometimes several in a minute) and various other bugs, including leaving the "reconnecting" box on the screen, obscuring all the action, and failing to load various menus. At one point it got stuck in a loading loop so I had to restart it, whereupon it decided I no longer had access to any of my content.

I'm no software developer but I struggle to understand how this game can be THIS buggy when it's essentially the exact same backend they've been running for the last five years. And it's been left essentially untouched for a month after release. You think they'd have rushed out some sort of fix for the server disconnections, at least.

I’ve had server disconnections, but only a full out refusal to connect this evening: I think it had quick resumed too many times, possibly over a change of state at the server side?

a full kill game and restart worked: at least with an SSD thats barely an inconvenience any more.

15 hours ago, Majora said:

Hitman 2 Gold Edition is £11.99 again on Xbox for those who were holding off until it got another price drop.

This was me. I now own the first two games and their DLC on Xbox (having bought them for PS4), so can play the past levels on my spangly copy of Hitman 3. 

Obi Wan's My failure is complete. I've bought everything I already own and have it all on a next gen console now. 

To be fair, by getting H3 from that Turkish MS store company and getting the previous two when they were cheap, I think it's cost me just shy of £60 to get them all on the Xbox. That's just about the price of a full game normally. That's how I'm getting to sleep at night. 

Almost caught up with redoing all the stuff in the first three levels of H1 again, having got Level 20 Mastery with them on the PS4, so it'll be time for new stuff soon.

Having bought H2 now though, it's going to take even longer to get to the third game's content. 

I finished 3 this morning.

The last level was a strange one. Probably not something I’ll spend too much time on.

Now I need to master all the levels like I have with Paris so back to sapienza in preparation for the elusive target!

Also anyone here managed to get the two targets to meet in Bangkok? If so how did you do it?

Is Hitman 1 likely to be on sale for less than £24.99 it’s currently listed at?

I bagged Hitman 2 thanks to this thread and was amazed how it quickly activated in H3. Would like to get 1 if possible and then play through 1 and 2 in order but £25 a bit too much given H2 was only £12 and has extra bonus levels.