Hitman III - January 2021 - Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4/5, & PC

I've never really attempted any Suit Only Silent Assassin runs, but now I've got one on Dubai I think I've caught the bug.

Also, new players, don't sleep on some the bonus missions that re-use locations. Sapienza in particular has two great ones, one where you assassinate a film director and another with a politician. They have their own dialogue, mission objectives, challenges and everything.

20 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Any tips on shooting? For a hitman, 47's aim is suspect. Obvs I want to avoid shooting whenever possible, but if it has to happen, I want the aiming reticule to more reliably go onto a baddie's noggin.

Well, there is a 'snap' aim option that I've always had turned off but I suspect works a bit like COD. I've always felt that the over-the-shoulder aimed view is a bit too zoomed, and the hip-fire option way too inaccurate (a hitman really should be able to aim more accurately from the hip) but I've got used to it over time.

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

Well, there is a 'snap' aim option that I've always had turned off but I suspect works a bit like COD. I've always felt that the over-the-shoulder aimed view is a bit too zoomed, and the hip-fire option way too inaccurate (a hitman really should be able to aim more accurately from the hip) but I've got used to it over time.

I thought it was part of the design tbh, to make you sneak around and not engage in firefights. Same thing with the melee being a bit rubbish. Sure, it's unrealistic for a trained killer to be relatively crap at this stuff, but it nudges you into playing the game in the way it was supposed to be. That was my theory, anyway! But I would like the aiming controls to be better.

14 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I've never really attempted any Suit Only Silent Assassin runs, but now I've got one on Dubai I think I've caught the bug.

They are the ultimate challenge in these new Hitman games. Every prior run is about gaining knowledge to work out a clean(ish) SA/SO run.

I realised today that SA/SO AND Sniper Assassin can all easily be done in a single run on Dubai, which would tick of every 'The Classics' challenge for that map in one go if you did it on Expert.

Won't really help in a shootout, but half-pressing the trigger on a lot of guns will tighten the aim for those make-or-break pistol shots. Similarly it'll tend to slow down time when using a sniper rifle.

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

I realised today that SA/SO AND Sniper Assassin can all easily be done in a single run on Dubai, which would tick of every 'The Classics' challenge for that map in one go if you did it on Expert.

That explains all the 50 second-odd runs at the top of the leaderboards. Mine was around 7 minutes, which put me just outside the top 500.

A lot of the fastest runs must involve using different starting locations.

44 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I thought it was part of the design tbh, to make you sneak around and not engage in firefights. Same thing with the melee being a bit rubbish. Sure, it's unrealistic for a trained killer to be relatively crap at this stuff, but it nudges you into playing the game in the way it was supposed to be. That was my theory, anyway! But I would like the aiming controls to be better.

With hand-to-hand CQC 47 is dreadful but as you say its very deliberate. With a pistol though (especially silenced) its a different story. I will check my settings tonight but as @Pob says the 'snap to target' works really well, especially on the headshots provided you practice a little and work out where the boundaries are for the heads to get locked on. Once you get that you can cycle through head shots exactly as you would expect a professional of 47's caliber to do. I mentioned earlier in the thread but an area / room with 4 targets is probably my limit where I can cycle the head shots and not raise any alarms. Any more than that then I need to be ready to swing my shotgun round from my back :) 

Those bastards at City Hall (Microsoft) denied my refund on this, so looks like I’m keeping it but still can’t get H1 levels to work which is really yanking my chain. 

Hopefully one day it’ll be the package I bought. 

First Dartmoor run done. Kind of regret exploring as much as I did because I triggered an event that buggered up the sleuth storyline. Lost SA early too, was a clumsy run all things considered.

Fun level though, shame this is the finale as like the little twist on the trilogy’s formula this game is introducing.

‘Finished’ this tonight. 100% get what people don’t like in 3 but it wasn’t totally unpalatable. 

Meanwhile I’ve been getting really into escalations! A really great part of the package that I’ve consistently overlooked. 

19 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Am I stupid or is it really hard to figure out how exactly to play escalations? What am I missing? Did I need the deluxe version to do this or something?

I don't think any of the Hitman 3 levels have escalations yet (unless you have the Deluxe version). They'll be added over the next few weeks and months.

If you have the older levels then there are plenty of escalations available on those from the older games.

I finally got to Mastery 20 on Dubai last night. After doing an SA/SO/Sniper run on Master difficulty I noticed that they’ve removed the challenges for doing ‘the classics’ on different difficulties :(  

That’s a bit of a shame as I loved ticking those off, and getting a little reward for getting them across every level. 

My second run through Dartmoor was A LOT smoother. All three story missions done in one play through, which I don’t think I’ve done before, and completed 16 challenges in the process with SA. Did take me a while though (1h 26m :lol:) as was really enjoying the setting.

Think I’ve worked out a SASO run route, but need to check that the target’s route isn’t reliant on other story actions, which may ruin best laid plans. Another really fun level in an already impressive finale.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I don't think any of the Hitman 3 levels have escalations yet (unless you have the Deluxe version). They'll be added over the next few weeks and months.

If you have the older levels then there are plenty of escalations available on those from the older games.

OK this makes sense then. Glad it’s not me being completely daft. 

I don’t have the content from 1 and 2 yet but I’ve still got plenty to go at in 3 and I’m hoping they’ll put those access packs on sale at some point. 

On the subject of escalations - the Deluxe Escalation in Dartmoor is brilliant - not only is the level a perfect sandbox for this kind of thing, you have to do it all in a bright red hunting outfit like the Tory Wanker of Doom. I'm going to use that outfit everywhere from now on.

It might just be me but I really miss mission stories.  The 4 levels I've played would have had 24 in the other games.

This game, 9.  And on my first run at ICA HQ I've only found one of them so who knows where the others were hiding.

Not a big fan of the "scripted" escape either but that's a deliberate gameplay decision whereas the massive cut in mission stories feels like laziness.

With the possible exception of Dartmoor not fond of any of the levels really either.  The ICA HQ one is a confusing empty maze outside with very little in it.

Which sounds like I'm down on the game as a whole, which I'm not really, it's still hitman but it's just in every way slightly worse than 1 and 2.

I think it's just a change of approach. The same opportunities are still in there, and often they are just as scripted as before, they're just not explicitly called out as mission stories. You have to work for them a bit, rather than just following a big green icon. In Dubai for instance I think

Spoiler

the exploding golf ball, the skydive escape and the chef

would all have been mission stories previously, now they are just opportunities for you to find for yourself. I don't mind that change, in the same way I don't mind that they seem to have one "main" mission story each level now, almost like a main plot. It's just different, is all.

6 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It might just be me but I really miss mission stories.  The 4 levels I've played would have had 24 in the other games.

This game, 9.  And on my first run at ICA HQ I've only found one of them so who knows where the others were hiding.

I'm not quite sure how it works as I don't have the Mission Stories HUD on, but Dubai (the only level I've rinsed) has as many assassination opportunities as any other Hitman stage I've played. Do the other levels have fewer? Or do you just mean that less of those opportunities are specifically tagged up as 'Stories' that you can be guided through?

Yeah the golf ball I've seen but not pursued yet.

I see that point too but maybe that's something they could have made difficulty level related, Master already doesn't have them.

Just now, Pob said:

I'm not quite sure how it works as I don't have the Mission Stories HUD on, but Dubai (the only level I've rinsed) has as many assassination opportunities as any other Hitman stage I've played. Do the other levels have fewer? Or do you just mean that less of those opportunities are specifically tagged up as 'Stories' that you can be guided through?

Yeah if you have the HUD on, Dubai, Dartmoor and ICA HQ have 3, Berlin has 0.

In general levels in the other 2 games had 6 in each.

So it might just be they've decided to help even casual players a bit less but I'm casual so that's how I played :P

36 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Not a big fan of the "scripted" escape either but that's a deliberate gameplay decision whereas the massive cut in mission stories feels like laziness.

With the possible exception of Dartmoor not fond of any of the levels really either.  The ICA HQ one is a confusing empty maze outside with very little in it.

Which sounds like I'm down on the game as a whole, which I'm not really, it's still hitman but it's just in every way slightly worse than 1 and 2.

There's no mission stories in 3?

Damn, I have been using them playing through 1 and 2 and are great to have. 

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I dont have the deluxe pack for H3 but I have escalations on the mission menus. Done a few in Dubai and was stuck on a Paris one yesterday that I absolutely could not figure out how to do the 2nd level.

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

A few in Dubai? That's odd, I've only got the Azmodeus Waltz showing for me on that level, and that's the Deluxe escalation.

It was a 3 level escalation in Dubai. Level 1 pacify a target with a shovel. Level 2 was Level 1 plus pacify and THEN kill another target. Level 3 was Level 2 plus a final target to be pacified and then placed in a Maintenance room. I might be wrong but they seem to change like the are on timers or something. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

There's no mission stories in 3?

Damn, I have been using them playing through 1 and 2 and are great to have. 

Oh no there absolutely are mission stories in 3, just less per level than in 1 and 2. It's basically a couple of mission stories and then what usually would be mission stories are just random kills you have to find in the world. It's quite a nice split for me and makes those of us who maybe wouldn't have found the really obscure kills in 1 and 2 feel a bit cleverer for finding more rather than being told what to do. 

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

the massive cut in mission stories feels like laziness.

Really? You're accusing IO, who have put out over 20 complex, detailed and unique levels across 5 years, along with countless elusive targets, new challenges and escalations, of being lazy? 

It's a deliberate decision to change things up a bit in this one and obviously you're free to prefer the old approach but it's nothing to do with laziness. 

As for areas in some maps that aren't used much, that's true but was also true of the older games too until they filled them in more later with more challenges and bonus missions. Sapienza for example, actually barely utilises a lot of its map in the main mission at all. It wasn't really until the bonus missions released that I felt like they used the whole location to its potential.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think it's just a change of approach. The same opportunities are still in there, and often they are just as scripted as before, they're just not explicitly called out as mission stories. You have to work for them a bit, rather than just following a big green icon. In Dubai for instance I think

Reveal hidden contents

the exploding golf ball, the skydive escape and the chef

would all have been mission stories previously, now they are just opportunities for you to find for yourself. I don't mind that change, in the same way I don't mind that they seem to have one "main" mission story each level now, almost like a main plot. It's just different, is all.

Yeah, this. Some of the challenges in 3 do offer bite-sized missions and could quite easily have been elevated to such. But it’s been mentioned before how this is the most accessible entry, and think streamlining the number of main stories is part of that.

The threads you need to pull on to get the challenge mentioned above in Dubai are a great example of how listening to NPCs while exploring the map leads to unexpected routes, or routes that might get missed, too.

And to reach full mastery you need a fair few challenges to avoid just grinding XP once the stories are ticked off.