rllmuk
beakbeak

If you could get a dream sequel to any retro title,

8 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Stunt Car Racer for me. I know you could say Trackmania and even Forza Horizon were spiritual sequels, but I'd love a proper sequel

Anyone who says that would be clearly mad tho!!

As much as I’d dearly like SCR 2, I cant help but feel that that boat has past now. :( To do it properly I feel like you’d have to go ‘full Amiga’ on it (for me at least) and would the audience be there? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a proper proper reason why Crammond’s sequel was canned in the first place either. 

• Upvote 1

On 26/12/2019 at 21:43, Down by Law said:

I would have said Shenmue III and Streets of Rage 4 but as we're in the best timeline, I'd say Exhumed or Virtua Fighter. 

I'm enjoying Shenmue 3 but I'm missing the tank controls of the originals, oddly enough! I've only fought in the dojo once too and the fighting system feels so weird. I'd love a version with these patched back in and the camera being directly behind Ryo.

8 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

TheNewZealandStory_arcadeflyer.png.97f7497081844d1cc1cb783460f5c791.png

There was a pretty decent sequel on the DS if you haven’t played it.

Maybe we should start a thread of “obscure retro sequels you might not have been aware of”. The DS has loads of them!

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Anyone who says that would be clearly mad tho!!

As much as I’d dearly like SCR 2, I cant help but feel that that boat has past now. :( To do it properly I feel like you’d have to go ‘full Amiga’ on it (for me at least) and would the audience be there? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a proper proper reason why Crammond’s sequel was canned in the first place either. 

Here’s the announcement for Stunt Car Racer Pro in... 2003.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/article_47687

Still waiting for it!

And it’s incredible to think that in the article it talks about how the original Stunt Car Racer was 14 years old. It’s now nearly 17 years since that announcement.

• Upvote 1

On 26/12/2019 at 18:14, Wonderm said:

I would have loved a true sequel to Beneath A Steel Sky. Great story- albeit too much padding eventually - and lovely art style. Was so good when i was a kid. 

...then have I got good news for you:

https://revolution.co.uk/games/beyond-a-steel-sky/

I think @Lorfariusis keeping a close eye on this, so may have more info?

For me, if we're talking on the original hardware, I'd love me a Shinobi 2

• Upvote 1

It's a pretty close run thing between. 

Gunstar Heroes 2 (MD) (gunstar super heroes doesn't count, it was a poor rehash IMO)

Creatures 3 (C64). I know on balance these were pretty shallow but I was totally bewitched by the first 2!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ran said:

It's a pretty close run thing between. 

Gunstar Heroes 2 (MD) (gunstar super heroes doesn't count, it was a poor rehash IMO)

Creatures 3 (C64). I know on balance these were pretty shallow but I was totally bewitched by the first 2!

I hear that Noycey!

Although I did quite like the gba gunstar heroes for what it’s worth. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I really liked them; my only issue was that - with C2 in particular - you figured out the solutions once and then the game was "solved" forever. :D 

Today you might be able to create something more organic, maybe even with procedural generation in places... :wub: 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, deKay said:

Sequel to Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) would be my choice.

S3&K is my favourite Sonic game, but I don't think another Mega Drive sequel would have added much. I suppose they could have gone with the 3D SVP chip concept that was originally considered for Sonic 3, but it's hard to imagine how that could have worked any better than Sonic 3D or X-Treme.

In retrospect, my preference would have been for a 1995 Sonic CD 2, with Yuji Naka and Hirokazu Yasuhara applying the design philosophy of S3&K (which I much prefer to the Sonic 1 approach that Sonic CD took) to the graphic and sound storage capabilities of the Mega CD.

Of course, that means ignoring the fact that by that point, Sega was abandoning the Mega CD in favour of the 32X and Saturn...

• Upvote 1

Sonic 4 for the 32X or Saturn would be fine - still 2D, but with more colours and scaling/rotation effects. Sonic Mania was nearly perfect, and although I love it it has remixed levels so can’t ever be a proper sequel.

On 27/12/2019 at 14:37, Protocol Penguin said:

TheNewZealandStory_arcadeflyer.png.97f7497081844d1cc1cb783460f5c791.png

Sometimes I think the original game is just straight up magnificence from the game mechanics to character designs to level maps & structure. There's never been game like it before or since and despite the amount of home ports signifying its popularity back in the day it seems to be curiously under-mentioned these days.

At least though with NewZealand Story there are three or four different arcade boards / corresponding ROM revisions meaning multiple versions of the original masterpiece playable via emulation (including the one the MD port bases its levels on).

• Upvote 2

Interesting to think of sequels. Sometimes I want "more of the same" (more levels, more challenge).  But often that's almost disappointing in reality.  Portal 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2 ... both superb... but obviously lack the novelty and surprise if their forefathers.  

Other times I just want to return to the world/chargers l characters.  Broken Sword, Shenmue, 

The Sentinel (ZX spectrum, etc)

A sequel, or a modem update really.  Sometimes make this please.

Blast Corps. (N64, Rare)

Although I'm not sure what the sequel would be.  I think I just want more of the same.

Space Station Silicon Valley (N64, DMA design)

I liked the 'inhabiting other beings' in this, and would love a fully fledged sequel.  The 'inhabiting' bits of Driver San Francisco and Dishonored reminded me think of this.

Sheep (GBA)

A bit of a leftfield (ho ho) choice but I really liked this little entry into the underpopulated round-em-up genre.

Go go! Beckham! Adventure on soccer Island (GBA)

I just wanted more of this quirky platformer.  

Grim Fandango (PC)

I want to catch up with the clown suffering with carpal tunnel syndrome!

Fez (Xbox 360)

It's not going to happen.  But I'd love this to happen.

Ico (PS)

I loved the puzzling here, and the aesthetic.  Moreso, I think, than Shadows of the Colossus.

Psychonauts (Xbox, etc)

I want to return to this world, and it's cast of characters.  But not the meat circus.  That can fuck right off.

Edited by uglifruit
Typos
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, uglifruit said:

Psychonauts (Xbox, etc)

I want to return to this world, and it's car of characters.  But not the meat circus.  That can fuck right off.

This one at least is happening.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, uglifruit said:

Sheep (GBA)

A bit of a leftfield (ho ho) choice but I really liked this little entry into the underpopulated round-em-up genre

I did the QA on this. The target times are based on how quickly I could do the levels. I still have a couple of the promo Sheep

nFP4giU.jpg

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I did the QA on this. The target times are based on how quickly I could do the levels. I still have a couple of the promo Sheep

Well I consider your work a success!  I found the game challenging but not impossible.

• Upvote 1

Shining Force IV, third game ends on a OMG note in Scenario 3 clearly intended as the start of SFIV, sadly Camelot were annoyed by Sega during developement, so moved to Nintendo and now seem stuck making so, so Mario sport games.

Rapid Reload / Gunner Heaven, would be another great one to get a sequel to.

• Upvote 1

There's a few I'd be interested in seeing, but the OP restriction to the original hardware would make them a bit too challenging.  However, there's a bucketload of games I'd like to see remastered - the aforementioned Burning Rangers fits all the criteria for that.  I'm thinking of the games that were 

• Groundbreaking
  • Brilliant
  • Just pushing the hardware beyond its limits a bit too much.

Perhaps that's one for a separate thread, but imagine remakes of those - Stunt Car Racer's and so on, all 60Fps, completely redrawn and rebuilt for the modern era.

• Upvote 1