rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
beakbeak

If you could get a dream sequel to any retro title,

So, if you could have a sequel to any retro title made by the same team who made the original game and on the same system, what would you choose? 

I think id probably go for a pretty obvious choice in chrono trigger. The first game nailed it so hard that I can only imagine how great a snes sequel would have been. 

• Upvote 1

I would have loved a true sequel to Beneath A Steel Sky. Great story- albeit too much padding eventually - and lovely art style. Was so good when i was a kid. 

Otherwise, Cosmic Smash 2 please. Such a clean style that it could have continued forever with new levels really. 

Edit- this also applies to Neo Geo Turf Masters

If I think about games truly lost to time with no decent remakes and a bunch of emulation hoops to jump through, I'd probably pick something like Silhouette Mirage. Admittedly, I discovered it long after the fact... but it's still stranded in the libraries of the PSX and Saturn. You can kind of play the game as a PSOne Classic in certain region stores, but an entirely new game which tidies up some of the presentation and brings in a new audience would be excellent.

• Upvote 2

Not as retro as some but a true sequel to SSX Tricky with neon colours and stupid OTT courses like the original would be the best thing ever.

• Upvote 2

What the hell is that?!

update: i just read up on it. That game looks insane. I can’t believe that’s a spectrum ZX game! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Droo said:

MichaeL Jackson’s Moonwalker 2, please. 

I can think of a few reasons why that’s not a good idea!

id like a greet beret sequel please

• Upvote 1

Not quite as old as the one’s mentioned above but I was quite a fan of the “Obscure” survival horror PS2 series which had two games in it. Would have liked to see that reappear again. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ulala said:

I can think of a few reasons why that’s not a good idea!

id like a greet beret sequel please

I’ve got some good news for you...

• Upvote 1

Shining Force 2, I fully understand 3 was made but it was a 3D interpretation of the style that wasn't mature in my opinion.

A Shining Force 3 in the style of the originals would have been amazing.

• Upvote 2

A ‘proper’ sequel for Bionic Commando,  done by the Ninja Warriors guys!:omg:

Rick Dangerous 3

Turrican 3 (I don’t count Payment Day)

• Upvote 2

Fur Fighters.  I think a couple of guys who worked on the original bought the rights for pennies and threw it onto mobile devices.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, beakbeak said:

What the hell is that?!

update: i just read up on it. That game looks insane. I can’t believe that’s a spectrum ZX game! 

Pete Cooke had awesome coding chops.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

Speedball 2

I was in charge of testing Speedball 2100, it really didn't survive the transition to 3D. It just wasn't a good game. The PS3 port was really good, though. Though, weirdly, the 360 version got an unnecessary makeover but included the option to put it in "classic mode".

Stunt Car Racer for me. I know you could say Trackmania and even Forza Horizon were spiritual sequels, but I'd love a proper sequel

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, beakbeak said:

So, if you could have a sequel to any retro title made by the same team who made the original game and on the same system, what would you choose? 

The limitation of it needing to be on the same system is a bit too restrictive for me. Most of the examples that come to mind for me are games that did all they could on their original console, but never received sequels on the next generation.

For example: Burning Rangers has always been the Sega title I most wished would get a sequel. But the original came out right at the end of the Saturn's life, and pushed right up against its performance limitations. So I don't think a second Saturn Burning Rangers could have done much to improve on the original.

A Dreamcast Burning Rangers, on the other hand... :wub:

Because of the BR-themed DLC mission in Phantasy Star Online v2, and because the first game is about non-violent exploration and radio communication, I always thought that an online co-op game would have been a perfect direction for Sonic Team to take a Dreamcast BR sequel.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Stunt Car Racer for me. I know you could say Trackmania and even Forza Horizon were spiritual sequels, but I'd love a proper sequel

Anyone who says that would be clearly mad tho!!

As much as I’d dearly like SCR 2, I cant help but feel that that boat has past now. :( To do it properly I feel like you’d have to go ‘full Amiga’ on it (for me at least) and would the audience be there? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a proper proper reason why Crammond’s sequel was canned in the first place either. 

• Upvote 1