rllmuk
Soulstar

Retro Game Club (POLL FOR JAN AVAILABLE NOW - Get Voting) ends 1st Jan

Retro Game Club Poll (January 2020)  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know we are all busy with Christmas right now and I’ve only just started to play SCV IV for Dec thread but I’ll need to begin this thread so we have everything ready in time for the 1st Jan. 

So, this thread itself isn’t the game thread but rather purely for the nomination ideas and then I’ll put the poll in here too. Once it’s over, the next game will get it’s own dedicated thread therefore  stopping them from getting derailed. 

Last month I decided to increase the poll selection to 6 games after a recent discussion with someone on here and don’t mind doing that again. I do however need to get some new nomination ideas from you guys for Jan. same rule as usual, just add one game that you wish to be included in the mix for Jan. The one’s from Dec which didn’t make it will be re-introduced for a second go. Below are the ones to return again. 

Shaolin’s Road

SpinDizzy - Quazimod

The Ninja Warriors - Alexlotl

Kororinpa - Camel

Shadow Dancer - Ulala

Toejam & Earl - DeDeDe

Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis - Soulstar

Get adding a new nomination to the list. I’ll add my nomination a bit later once I’ve decided. I’ll have to put the poll up within the next few days so getting adding soon if you everyone. 

Also post any thoughts about the RGC thing in general that you may have in here. Has it been going ok etc. Cheers.

• Upvote 3

space-taxi_5.png

I'll nominate Space Taxi for C64 this time. Think side-on 2D space game with Thrust-style inertia but you're collecting passengers from platforms and dropping them off at other platforms.

...it's good, honestly!

• Upvote 4

I’ll be honest, I’m loathe to recommend anything because I want to play something random I’ve never played before. I’ve said bomb jack as there’s a metric tonne of different versions and I can play in on gameboy. 

• Upvote 3

Ok I'm going to put up the new poll soon in this thread giving us about 4 days for the voting period. This time we have a few more nominations added, probably due to putting up a new thread rather than keeping it contained within the thread of the actual game for the month itself. I'll do as I did last time and keep the poll at 6 choices. Roughly a third of games will get added this time. as there are 17 in total including the ones chosen for December. There seem to be a lot more older retro ones in the list this time rather than 16 bit SNES/MD titles so it should be quite interesting to see what comes out of it all. Time to let the random choice selector tool pick the future. (I honestly love this bit and how you never know what's going to end up in it). 

Here are the games for the new poll in order of selection by the picking tool. 

Toejam & Earl (1991)

(Megadrive/Genesis)

spacer.png

T&E gets a second wind this time, being previously part of the last poll. Does it deserve to get a look-in? Only you can decide. Here's a different gif than last time that involves Father Christmas and tomatoes.

Dr Mario (1990)

(NES, GB, SNES, GBA, Wii (Wiiware)

spacer.png

A brand new entry into the nomination by Ninjadoctor who technically already added Bombjack, but I never noticed until now haha. Dr Mario the classic puzzler we all know and love...except I never played it myself so I don't know if I do love it. I guess it's up to you to decide if we should return and check it out once again. 

Bomb Jack (1984)

(Loads of ports and Arcade)

spacer.png

Now here's a classic which still plays amazingly well as I seem to remember when I had a quick go at Arcade Club a while back. I used to have this on the ST and grew up playing it. Nominated by ND also. 

Spindizzy (1986)

Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Atari 8-bit family, Apple II, Thomson TO7, Enterprise

spacer.png

Another title to get a second wind in the polls as it came up last month. Do we take the chance and spin with this one...I'll stop with the shit puns now. 

Toy Bizarre (1984)

Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum

DampChiefAnura-size_restricted.gif

New entry this month by Quazimod and one I've personally never heard of before, but then I never really had a C64 or Spectrum so I'm less familiar with the lesser known titles from those systems. Still, it's always good to include things like this. Looks like another single screen style thing like that one which was included a few months ago which involved getting oil. 

Shadow Dancer (1989)

Loads of ports inc Arcade

487f762c002da7b84393560b9ff9a523.gif

Last but certainly not least is the action platformer Shinobi style ninja game of the late 80's Shadow Dancer. I remember having this on the ST and I think I once played it at Play Expo on the Mega Drive too. Ulala chose this for his December nomination but it never made it to the poll until now. 

So there we go, a nice balance between new nomination and one's from Dec. As usual, all the new entries for this month will get a second chance and be reintroduced to the poll. This includes all those in the list below.

Um Jammer Lammy
Robocop
Toy Bizarre
Bomb Jack
Cosmic Smash
Herdy Gerdy
Micro Machines
Dr Mario

• Upvote 2

I know what I’m going to pick but I’m going to wait until the last day before making my official vote. 

What did you buy shadow dancer for then @Droo

39 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

I know what I’m going to pick but I’m going to wait until the last day before making my official vote. 

What did you buy shadow dancer for then @Droo

megadrive. 

Shadow dancer!

ive been waiting for an excuse to play this, only having done the first two levels or so

really looking forward to seeing more- it plays differently to the other shinobi games 

Doesn’t Shadow Dancer have some release weirdness similar to ESWAT where the Mega Drive game is very different to the arcade original and it’s various ports?

(I mean, I’m going to try various versions anyway for fun, so it’s no biggie... :) )

Ok annoyingly I forgot to vote but I was going to vote shadow dancer anyway and I can’t  see the results at all. Can anyone post a screen shot so I can see how it turned out? 

Nice try @Camel, haha and thanks for posting it up. I'm on my laptop again now so I'll put the post up for Shadow Dancer.