rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bradigor

Narrated Games

I've just stated playing Children of Morta and it is so far wonderfully narrated. So it got me to thinking. I love a game that is narrated, it really adds something if the game is right for it. 

Two others stand out most in recent years:

Bastion and The Stanley Parable. 

Both are games that use narration so very well and where it is integral to the game. But what others are out there? There can't only be such few examples. 

• Upvote 1

I played "Pneuma: Breath Of Life" a couple of months ago. Decent puzzles, but my character kept wittering on like an idiot, so I turned him off in the audio options. There may have been some deep meaning to the game that I missed out on, but I was happy to take that risk.

Dragon Age II has an interesting section wonderfully and unreliably narrated by Varric. 

Also, Castlevania on the 360 was brilliantly narrated by Patrick Stewart despite the writing being hilariously bad. 

• Upvote 1

The narration in Hellblade annoyed the hell out of me if that counts. Often literally describing things that could have benefited from a show, don't tell approach.

Does Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time count?

’No, no, no; that’s not how it went’

Or in the GameCube version, with its dreadful compressed audio:

’I’ll brart the brory brom brhere brext brime’

• Upvote 5

@bradigor if you like Bastion, I defo recommend Transistor by the same people :) A bit different as the 'narration' is done by one of the characters as you go through, rather than someone telling a story after the fact.  But still excellent. 

• Upvote 1

At certain points in the Nier games, they literally have walls of text describing certain events from a narrative perspective - an unusual thing to see in your action RPG, but it just adds to the unique style of the games.

In the first game, some of the texts even have the characters arguing with what the narrator is describing... and the narrator describing these arguments. :D 

• Upvote 1

Call of Juarez gunslinger has brilliant narration as the narrator is unreliable as fuck, which often means levels are remade in front of your eyes or retold as others chip in to remind him of what actually happened.

• Upvote 3

The best narration I had in a game is when I was playing Zelda and my missis kept telling me what was going on, how to do it, and what I was doing wrong.

A lot like the rest of my life in fact.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 3

7 hours ago, robdood said:

@bradigor if you like Bastion, I defo recommend Transistor by the same people :) A bit different as the 'narration' is done by one of the characters as you go through, rather than someone telling a story after the fact.  But still excellent. 

I loved Bastion.

I very much disliked Transistor. It’s a totally different sort of game.

Not sure if it counts as its quite sparse in narration , but I've been playing The Last Guardian as my christmas game. The voice over at key points makes it feel really kids storybook like.  So far I think is an all timer for me. (Perhaps its been patched lots but its easy to control Trico (so far))

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I loved Bastion.

I very much disliked Transistor. It’s a totally different sort of game.

That's fair, I love them both as games, but I think supergiant have a good style of storytelling that's makes their stuff always worth checking out at least. Hades is similarly excellent. 

Just now, robdood said:

That's fair, I love them both as games, but I think supergiant have a good style of storytelling that's makes their stuff always worth checking out at least. Hades is similarly excellent. 

The storytelling in Transistor was excellent, yes. I just wanted another Bastion, and that's not what I got :(

Odd relationship with Supergiant. On paper I should love what they do, but their games have all left me cold. I think I'd prefer more heft in their movement - seem a bit floaty somehow. Might give Transistor another bash over the holidays, but definitely had my fill of Bastion and Hades.

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not, Saints Row IV has the best ever game narration gag, when it’s revealed right at the end of the game that the narrator is

Jane Austen.

The sheer nerve of it made me laugh for nearly three minutes. True story. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/12/2019 at 22:18, stefcha said:

Thomas Was Alone. Superb. The narrator in Bastion got on my tits a bit to be honest.

I never even played it and thought the same after watching my cousin play it.