Dracula - BBC One - 1, 2, & 3 Jan.

Just finished it. Enjoyed episodes one and two, and didn’t even mind the more campy Christopher Lee version of Dracula. Claes Bang did the best he could. Dolly Wells was also great.

But agree the third one was total tripe. I don’t even mind so much that they went...

Spoiler

For the modern setting twist at the end of episode 2, but it never really paid off. All the new characters were shit, and underwritten. I didn’t buy that Lucy was so special to Dracula. She was just a vacuous air head. Dracula telling us that it had took him five hundred years to find this “perfect” bride didn’t ring true. Okay, Drac, you’re telling us this, but I’m not seeing it. And that’s the thing with the writing, especially so in the third episode. Lots of telling, talking, waffle. It doesn’t feel like organic character building.

The bit with the WiFi password was infuriating. They’d written themselves into a corner and just bullshitted their way out of it. Fucking lazy.

It was at this point that the flippancy of the dialogue and the general tone just ground me down. I think it shows a lack of courage by Gatiss and Moffat.

Another thing that puzzled me. At the end of episode 2 we see Dracula punching his way out of the box and walking along the sea bed to shore, alone. But then in episode 3, he’s rescued from the box by divers???

4 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Just finished it. Enjoyed episodes one and two, and didn’t even mind the more campy Christopher Lee version of Dracula. Claes Bang did the best he could. Dolly Wells was also great.

But agree the third one was total tripe. I don’t even mind so much that they went...

Hide contents

For the modern setting twist at the end of episode 2, but it never really paid off. All the new characters were shit, and underwritten. I didn’t buy that Lucy was so special to Dracula. She was just a vacuous air head. Dracula telling us that it had took him five hundred years to find this “perfect” bride didn’t ring true. Okay, Drac, you’re telling us this, but I’m not seeing it. And that’s the thing with the writing, especially so in the third episode. Lots of telling, talking, waffle. It doesn’t feel like organic character building.

The bit with the WiFi password was infuriating. They’d written themselves into a corner and just bullshitted their way out of it. Fucking lazy.

It was at this point that the flippancy of the dialogue and the general tone just ground me down. I think it shows a lack of courage by Gatiss and Moffat.

Another thing that puzzled me. At the end of episode 2 we see Dracula punching his way out of the box and walking along the sea bed to shore, alone. But then in episode 3, he’s rescued from the box by divers???

Agree with all of this. The Lucy character didn't ring true at all.

Regards to your last statement, they accidently woke him up and then retreated whilst the count later made his way to land.  They don't mention that the box was resealed but it isn't beyond possibility. 

Was the purpose behind the experiement or who was funding it ever explained? They explain the funding aspect quite early but then hint at some bigger faction at play.

Ah, finally a Dracula story with the high concept pitch of “What if we could Stephen Moffat the fuck out of the third act of this for no reason.”

Edit - Lol I didn’t actually know it was a Moffat thing when I wrote that.

Agree with most others here - really enjoyed parts 1 & 2 and part 3 was trying a bit too hard to be clever. Would have much preferred them to follow the traditional story in the style of the first two, rather than rehashing ‘The Initiative’ out of Buffy S4.

What a shame the single explanation for all Dracula's weaknesses turned out to be the utter bollocks I feared it would.

Spoiler

He can't enter people's houses without an invite because he's ashamed of his fear of death? Eh?

And if the cross scares him because it represents willing embrace of death, does that mean only pages from the new testament work as a barrier against him?

And how does the stake through the heart fit into this?

Episode 2 was good though.

So the ending...

What the fuck was her actual plan? The ending makes it pretty clear she’s actually pretty surprised when he decides to kill himself. So what did she hope to achieve, if he hadn’t done that then she basically just managed to remove any weaknesses he had. And for what? So she could neg him on her way out.

7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

So the ending...

Reveal hidden contents

What the fuck was her actual plan? The ending makes it pretty clear she’s actually pretty surprised when he decides to kill himself. So what did she hope to achieve, if he hadn’t done that then she basically just managed to remove any weaknesses he had. And for what? So she could neg him on her way out.

Good point!

Spoiler

I never thought of that one! She basically turned him into a Blade style day walker! What a plan! :doh:

Well that last episode went downhill faster than a centipede on rollerskates. 

The first two episodes worked well for me because they essentially felt like a battle of wills. All the new characters were incredibly weak and the ending was utter bullshit. What a shame.

Really not sure what they were going for with Lucy.

On the surface they seem to be going for an old fashioned morality play, which, while hackneyed, would at least be in line with the Hammer pastiche they seemed to be going for. Vanity obsessed bad person ends up getting ironic punishment...etc.

But then they do seem to want the audience to genuinely feel sympathy for her when she’s a cartoon caricature of an Instagram mode who wanted to be a vampire and had killed some poor innocent sod in her previous scene. 

Don’t even get me started on the cringeworthy you don’t know how tough it is being young, beautiful and rich and everyone smiling at you bollocks. Which they didn’t seem to be playing for laughs.

20 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Regards to your last statement, they accidently woke him up and then retreated whilst the count later made his way to land.  They don't mention that the box was resealed but it isn't beyond possibility. 

Okay, that kind of makes sense.

Episodes 1 and 2 were brilliant, great storytelling from both points of view. That 3rd episode though? Jesus wept. The Lucy character was absolutely abysmal. Van Helsing and Dracula performances were both great though. This could have been 2 episodes and done, let's just pretend the 3rd didn't happen. 

With regards to episode 3, anyone remember...

Spoiler

Hammer's "Dracula A.D. 1972"? A bit cheesy from what I recall. But they could've done something like that, minus all of the Harker Foundation bollocks. I reckon it would probably need to stretch to another episode though to do it justice.

I think I have missed something obvious in this. 

Spoiler

In episode 2 it is clear that sister Agatha and Dracula are discussing what transpired on the ship and playing chess as if the journey had already happened. Then episode 2 ends with sister Agatha dying in the water never to be seen again (properly) in ep.3. So, when were they talking and playing chess if it was after the ship journey? Was it in her dreams as he fed?

40 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

I think I have missed something obvious in this. 

Reveal hidden contents

In episode 2 it is clear that sister Agatha and Dracula are discussing what transpired on the ship and playing chess as if the journey had already happened. Then episode 2 ends with sister Agatha dying in the water never to be seen again (properly) in ep.3. So, when were they talking and playing chess if it was after the ship journey? Was it in her dreams as he fed?

Spoiler

Yeah, she was in his cabin the whole time. She realises this during the chess game and says something like “I’m in your cabin, aren’t I?”.

7 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Okay, that kind of makes sense.

Just watching Ep 3 now (yeah, it’s dogshit), and the lass

Spoiler

presenting the diving video (who had her thumb bitten off) states clearly that they backed off, resealed the box and it took Drac another 10 hours to regenerate from her blood and punch out of the box. Fortunately he walked ashore exactly where they were all waiting.

2 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

With regards to episode 3, anyone remember...

Reveal hidden contents

Hammer's "Dracula A.D. 1972"? A bit cheesy from what I recall. But they could've done something like that, minus all of the Harker Foundation bollocks. I reckon it would probably need to stretch to another episode though to do it justice.

I turned to my partner at the end of ep 2 and said... 

Spoiler

I hope this doesn't go all Dracula AD1972. 

How right I was... :(