rllmuk
FishyFish

Dracula - BBC One - 1, 2, & 3 Jan.

On 01/01/2020 at 22:25, footle said:

when they’re not overindulging? This makes the last series of Sherlock look restrained. Tripe.

called it

• Upvote 2

It was really good. Great ending. Why don’t you read the book or watch the Oldman film if that’s what you wanted?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 18/12/2019 at 01:57, Bucky said:

Ha! Don't forget that the only good sexuality is biiiiiiisexuality.  Whhhooooo.  Spooooky.

Seriously, almost everything he writes has to pay a 15% royalty to Timothy Claypol.

It took him about three minutes into the first episode to hit this predicable low note.  I don't see what everyone was getting excited about in the first episode.  If it trails off after that, I'm already out.  

So I finished ep 3. Moffat really needs to start working with people cleverer than him.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the basis for ep 3, 

Spoiler

It could have been quite an interesting change in dynamic to go from an all-powerful Dracula in 1879 to a prisoner of a 100-year old society in modern times, but then they just throw that all away immediately, classic Moffat style.

"Oh, the wifi password is my name!" was infuriating.

And then the fucking denouement "you're really afraid of dying!' was pathetic. Fucking Dracula 2000 had a better twist ending.

Gatiss is obviously a great encyclopedia, but I don't think he brings anything of value to the writing of these big BBC affairs, and his acting is always the same guy.

Spoiler

And then so much of that final 90 mins was wasted. Dreary Seward, Lucy's uninteresting friends, the Texan surrogate for Quincy and so on.

You could have had a tense Silence of the Lambs affair, or pulled on the thread at all they kept trying to lay about the Foundation's funding or any of that. 

But you just get a terrible "he wants to have babies and a bride" plot that the awful Jackman movie probably did better.

I really enjoyed Claes Bang and Dolly Wells. I enjoyed the first and second episodes quite a lot. Harker's retelling, and then the convent attack, were better done than I expected. The ship and its murders were good, although you could already detect Moffat falling under the illusive spell of his own genius. And then episode 3 really let it down. Classic these guys, really.

It's like everything they make: really well made, beautifully shot and cast and acted, lovingly produced, but ultimately still only a Big Mac when they're apparently trying for a Michelin star.

• Upvote 4

I was sat there thinking Van Helsings lab looked familiar when I twigged its a cellar in the local national trust building 2 miles up the road....

Whilst 3 didn't hit the highs of 1 and 2 it was still pretty great and a good way to end it without the usual tropes falling into place.

• Upvote 1

Thought the third episode was a massive misstep. Before that I was loving the show, real shame.

If anyone is interested there is a three part radio discussion by TV critic Hayley Campbell speaking to the creators Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat here

Plus there is the documentary In Search of Dracula with Mark Gatiss on BBC2

• Upvote 1

Just finished it. Enjoyed episodes one and two, and didn’t even mind the more campy Christopher Lee version of Dracula. Claes Bang did the best he could. Dolly Wells was also great.

But agree the third one was total tripe. I don’t even mind so much that they went...

Spoiler

For the modern setting twist at the end of episode 2, but it never really paid off. All the new characters were shit, and underwritten. I didn’t buy that Lucy was so special to Dracula. She was just a vacuous air head. Dracula telling us that it had took him five hundred years to find this “perfect” bride didn’t ring true. Okay, Drac, you’re telling us this, but I’m not seeing it. And that’s the thing with the writing, especially so in the third episode. Lots of telling, talking, waffle. It doesn’t feel like organic character building.

The bit with the WiFi password was infuriating. They’d written themselves into a corner and just bullshitted their way out of it. Fucking lazy.

It was at this point that the flippancy of the dialogue and the general tone just ground me down. I think it shows a lack of courage by Gatiss and Moffat.

Another thing that puzzled me. At the end of episode 2 we see Dracula punching his way out of the box and walking along the sea bed to shore, alone. But then in episode 3, he’s rescued from the box by divers???

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Just finished it. Enjoyed episodes one and two, and didn’t even mind the more campy Christopher Lee version of Dracula. Claes Bang did the best he could. Dolly Wells was also great.

But agree the third one was total tripe. I don’t even mind so much that they went...

Hide contents

For the modern setting twist at the end of episode 2, but it never really paid off. All the new characters were shit, and underwritten. I didn’t buy that Lucy was so special to Dracula. She was just a vacuous air head. Dracula telling us that it had took him five hundred years to find this “perfect” bride didn’t ring true. Okay, Drac, you’re telling us this, but I’m not seeing it. And that’s the thing with the writing, especially so in the third episode. Lots of telling, talking, waffle. It doesn’t feel like organic character building.

The bit with the WiFi password was infuriating. They’d written themselves into a corner and just bullshitted their way out of it. Fucking lazy.

It was at this point that the flippancy of the dialogue and the general tone just ground me down. I think it shows a lack of courage by Gatiss and Moffat.

Another thing that puzzled me. At the end of episode 2 we see Dracula punching his way out of the box and walking along the sea bed to shore, alone. But then in episode 3, he’s rescued from the box by divers???

Agree with all of this. The Lucy character didn't ring true at all.

Regards to your last statement, they accidently woke him up and then retreated whilst the count later made his way to land.  They don't mention that the box was resealed but it isn't beyond possibility. 

Was the purpose behind the experiement or who was funding it ever explained? They explain the funding aspect quite early but then hint at some bigger faction at play.

Just watched the first episode and it really feels like it’s been written by two completely different people. Parts of it feel like a Mark Gatiss Boxing Day ghost stories he did on BBC 4 and other parts feels like a total frustrating bunch of hammy shite. 

Ah, finally a Dracula story with the high concept pitch of “What if we could Stephen Moffat the fuck out of the third act of this for no reason.”

Edit - Lol I didn’t actually know it was a Moffat thing when I wrote that.

• Upvote 1

Agree with most others here - really enjoyed parts 1 & 2 and part 3 was trying a bit too hard to be clever. Would have much preferred them to follow the traditional story in the style of the first two, rather than rehashing ‘The Initiative’ out of Buffy S4.

What a shame the single explanation for all Dracula's weaknesses turned out to be the utter bollocks I feared it would.

Spoiler

He can't enter people's houses without an invite because he's ashamed of his fear of death? Eh?

And if the cross scares him because it represents willing embrace of death, does that mean only pages from the new testament work as a barrier against him?

And how does the stake through the heart fit into this?

Episode 2 was good though.

• Upvote 1

So the ending...

What the fuck was her actual plan? The ending makes it pretty clear she’s actually pretty surprised when he decides to kill himself. So what did she hope to achieve, if he hadn’t done that then she basically just managed to remove any weaknesses he had. And for what? So she could neg him on her way out.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

So the ending...

Reveal hidden contents

What the fuck was her actual plan? The ending makes it pretty clear she’s actually pretty surprised when he decides to kill himself. So what did she hope to achieve, if he hadn’t done that then she basically just managed to remove any weaknesses he had. And for what? So she could neg him on her way out.

Good point!

Spoiler

I never thought of that one! She basically turned him into a Blade style day walker! What a plan! :doh:

Well that last episode went downhill faster than a centipede on rollerskates. 

The first two episodes worked well for me because they essentially felt like a battle of wills. All the new characters were incredibly weak and the ending was utter bullshit. What a shame.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Have Moffat or Gattiss ever been in a nightclub?

The club scenes felt like watching the Nozin' Aroun' segment on The Young Ones.

• Upvote 2

Really not sure what they were going for with Lucy.

On the surface they seem to be going for an old fashioned morality play, which, while hackneyed, would at least be in line with the Hammer pastiche they seemed to be going for. Vanity obsessed bad person ends up getting ironic punishment...etc.

But then they do seem to want the audience to genuinely feel sympathy for her when she’s a cartoon caricature of an Instagram mode who wanted to be a vampire and had killed some poor innocent sod in her previous scene. 

Don’t even get me started on the cringeworthy you don’t know how tough it is being young, beautiful and rich and everyone smiling at you bollocks. Which they didn’t seem to be playing for laughs.

The Lucy arc might have played out better over a series. Her relationship with Dracula didn't ring true at all, plus they did the bizarre 3 month time jump mid-episode bypassing most of her character development.

20 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Regards to your last statement, they accidently woke him up and then retreated whilst the count later made his way to land.  They don't mention that the box was resealed but it isn't beyond possibility. 

Okay, that kind of makes sense.

Reading this thread has certainly saved me 3 hours of my free time.

Sounds like it goes to shit at the end.

Thanks forumites!