rllmuk
FishyFish

Dracula - BBC One - 1, 2, & 3 Jan.

I'd been quite enjoying it up to the <spoiler>, even despite the annoying Moffat construction of the first half of episode 2. It was quite a well done interpretation across the first two episodes, I thought. The camp high testosterone Dracula worked really well, I liked Agatha, I thought the big Harker elements all worked well.

But I'm unconvinced by how ep 2 ended.

Spoiler

So the boat is a bit on fire and mostly sinking, and Dracula races to get into his box because what reason? Was it just dawn approaching? If he can walk along the seabed, Highlander style, why not just jump out of the boat in the first place?

And then presumably (given she's a Nun) the modern Agatha is the real one, not a descendant. So she's been hanging around as a vampire for 100, 150 years drinking blood and getting in with law enforcement?

I do get a lot annoyed that Moffat isn't as clever as he thinks he is. It had been a decent retelling up to then.

We'll see, I guess.

• Upvote 1

I've only just got around to watching episode 1. I don't really get what it is. There were some intense scenes which were well done such as where they were trying to help Jonathan remember what happened to him. But then Dracula comes in and delivers a line in a manner which would make Austin Powers blush.

Also in his oldest form when we're first introduced to him, he looked very much like old Biff from Back to the Future.

However, it does make me wonder if Steven Moffat could pull off a remake of the Persuaders.

Spoiler

Was night when the boat sank, and about two miles to shore. Takes you that long to walk it? Wtf.

Should have had him severely injured and eating molluscs and shrimps to get himself back like Cruise in interview with a vampire.

Dint like the look of where episode 3 is going tbh. Budgets.

I think it's been a mixture of disappointingly silly and unfaithful, and impressively silly and unfaithful.

It's clever and funny and macabre enough to hold your attention, and I sort of respect the dedication to creating a gloriously campy Count. It's fun. It's an interesting way of looking at someone who is an unholy monster, serial killer and psychopath. But I can only take so many of the Count's smug entendres about eating people. 

I think Dolly Wells is awesome. 

Somehow I predicted the twist at the end of episode 2. Don't know how I predicted it... I just guessed, or even assumed, they'd do it. Or maybe it was in some pre-release material.

13 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Dolly Wells has been great.

Yes absolutely the standout. But I liked the way her arc concluded in ep2 the first time.

So, if episode three carries on like this, it'll be a fucking awful way to conclude what's been a fairly enjoyable series. So far, this is absolutely diabolical. 

And not in a way Dracula would approve of.

• Upvote 1

Yup... this is shite.

They fucked it.

The way it’s going I still swear this series was all a setup for a less ambitious police procedural series starring dracula for some reason.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Yup... this is shite.

They fucked it.

The way it’s going I still swear this series was all a setup for a less ambitious police procedural series starring dracula for some reason.

That's exactly what I've been thinking too.

Just you wait, they'll introduce bloody Sherlock and Dr Who into somewhere.

I’m saying it’s shite, but it’s watchable...

It’s just the first two episodes were stellar, and felt fresh by returning to the roots of the character. This Hannibal-esque spin on the modern Sherlock formula is much less compelling, and frequently naff.

I’m only typing this to pass the time while watching.

First episode was genuinely excellent and had me looking forward to the rest. Then it went downhill to the point where it’s now awful.

Just as I said it was watchable Gatiss started doing his League of Gentleman act, Dracula is texting with a vampire emoji and there are some painfully staged and acted club scenes.

An astounding drop in quality. Maybe the quickest and furthest a series has fallen after a promising start... ever?

I guess i’m still happy with the first two episodes and genuinely enjoyed them.  I don’t know why they feel the need to change the tone so much as well as moving into the modern day, when the the first two felt quite well judged.

Enormously unsatisfying.

It completely fell into the usual Moffat/Gattis thing of some really good ideas and seemingly becoming utterly bored by the whole shitting thing and deciding to bugger everything up. 

If you stop episode 2 before the last minute, i.e. with the two guys on the lifeboat, isn’t it a perfectly decent two parter?  I thought it wrapped things up pretty well at that point.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't against the idea of the episode 3 shift (as revealed at the end of episode 2), but they totally messed that up. We found it boring and unsatisfying, and filled with unlikeable characters.