rllmuk
FishyFish

Dracula - BBC One - 1, 2, & 3 Jan.

It looks good, and we know they can make great TV (when they're not overindulging) and Gatiss is a massive horror fan so I'm optimistic.

Is that Christopher Lee at 0:48?

4 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Wonder how long it will take Moffat to turn Dracula into an unbearably smug tosser.

"I'm undead, I'm not unreasonable"

50 seconds.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hub2 said:

"I'm undead, I'm not unreasonable"

50 seconds.

Ha! Don't forget that the only good sexuality is biiiiiiisexuality.  Whhhooooo.  Spooooky.

Seriously, almost everything he writes has to pay a 15% royalty to Timothy Claypol.

On 17/12/2019 at 13:29, Darren said:

It looks good, and we know they can make great TV (when they're not overindulging) and Gatiss is a massive horror fan so I'm optimistic.

Is that Christopher Lee at 0:48?

when they’re not overindulging? This makes the last series of Sherlock look restrained. Tripe.

First half was much more interesting than the second - when the action moved to the nunnery it started to lose momentum. I also would have preferred Dracula to be a more sinister, threatening presence than the wise-cracking, camera-winking one we got.

But I’m still interested to see where they take the story and what happens next. Entertaining enough. 

3 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

I enjoyed it, thought it was a bit slow though. Are all three episodes 90 minutes long? Think an hour would've been sufficient.

Yeah they are all hour and a halfish long - loved that thought it was solid entertainment 

I enjoyed that a lot, but it veered away from genuine carpenter-eque/cronenbergian body horror, and towards campy wisecracking schlock towards the end. A strong first half that weakened as the mysteries dropped away. And some definite Moffat vibes of "watch this bit again, I bet you didn't notice the thing I did", non-linear storytelling and "important plot device girl" trope.

But I got a good 60 minutes of genuinely exciting entertainment out of it, and I tentatively look forward to the next one.

• Upvote 1

I don't tend to like horror, but gave the first part a go because of the Gatiss/Moffat writing team. Bloody loved it. Nicely sassy. Still not a fan of the fiction, but the execution is really fun. Will deffo watch the rest when I have time.

UGH. MOFFAT.

Another incredible episode but the ending destroyed my interest in the rest of the series.

It was refreshing to see a high budget, high profile take on the old-fashioned Hammer Horror period films. Castlevania-style.

Now it’s just going to be some Sherlock- Doctor Who shite. Can’t wait for descendant of Agatha to partner up with Dracula so they can use his powers to solve crimes iZombie style.

• Downvote 1

Saw it coming! Though admittedly only as 

Spoiler

the boat sank a minute before

I think it's pretty neat, looking forward to the next one to see if they pull it off. 

Enjoyable episode again.