rllmuk
SteveG

Uncut Gems

Couldn't find a topic for this already. This deserves better than being buried in the Netflix thread. Saw this today at a pre screen as part of our Christmas party. Yes, very festive I know. 

I'm not sure Sandler will win the Oscar he seems to so desperately want but he is very good. The film is tense as fuck and I think I'd pick up more from a second watch. 

The trailer doesn't do it justice and gives nothing away. 

I've seen that turn up on a few best of the year lists, I'm sure. 

If you haven't seen it - seek out Good Times. It's excellent. 

• Upvote 2

It was more of an ensemble cast but he was great in The Meyerowitz Stories too.

Thought this was excellent. Fittingly for a film about gems, I think if you shoved some coal in your arsehole at the start you'd end up with a diamond by the end, it's so bum clenchingly tense at points. Banging synth score as well.

• Upvote 6

Really good film, tense as all hell and Sandler plays slimy and pathetic really well - yet the get the impression his character doesn't see himself as either of those things.

It is exhausting and frustrating in equal measure - and I mean that a compliment. There's barely any let up in the tension, and even quiet scenes or seemingly incidental ones, hold something to keep you on tenterhooks. There's a couple of fantastic moments with characters switching from one thing to another.

I agree with Harsin too - excellent score. 

• Upvote 2

The one thing I didn't get - 

Spoiler

Who was the guy who suddenly appeared to help Julia? The guy with the helicopter. I felt like I missed a scene or explanation. 

7 hours ago, Goose said:

Really good film, tense as all hell and Sandler plays slimy and pathetic really well - yet the get the impression his character doesn't see himself as either of those things.

It is exhausting and frustrating in equal measure - and I mean that a compliment. There's barely any let up in the tension, and even quiet scenes or seemingly incidental ones, hold something to keep you on tenterhooks. There's a couple of fantastic moments with characters switching from one thing to another.

I agree with Harsin too - excellent score. 

Have you seen Good Time Goose?

Ia it actually out in the cinemas in the UK? I cant find a showing nearby. 

But then it's on Netflix next month, right? 

11 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Ia it actually out in the cinemas in the UK? I cant find a showing nearby. 

But then it's on Netflix next month, right? 

It’s getting a very limited release from 10th January, for award accreditation purposes really. Curzon will be showing it for a week or two if you have one near you. 

• Upvote 1

Just watched this. Thought it was excellent. Taught, unpredictable and thrilling. Sandler is great (although maybe 10% too shouty) and even though you sort of know how its going to all turn out, the Safdie's create such a pressure cooker tension that you're gripped from start to end. I liked the way certain characters like the bimbo girlfriend play against type.

I did think it was essentially an almost beat for beat retread of Good Time. Unlikeable selfish douchebag gets deeper and deeper into a New York minute as he's trying to dig himself out. And I prefer Good Time simply based on the premise. I guess in the same way Scorcese sort of remade Taxi Driver with King of Comedy, the Safdie's have made the same film twice. But both are great so who cares.

It's filled with NYC flavour, but maybe not as much as Good Time was. 

Even so, just solid old school storytelling.

• Upvote 1

Saw this at cinema tonight, didn't know what to expect, was not disappointed. So tense and anxiety inducing that I can't sleep at the moment. Sandler's performance totally sells you on the whole thing and completely immerses you into his world.

• Upvote 1

Saw this earlier today and still making up my mind whether I actually enjoyed it or not. But one thing I did like is how discordant the audio is; genuinely felt uncomfortably hectic at times without dialogue being obscured.

Sandler's acting where he is trying to watch the basketball game when he is supposed to be upstairs reading his son a bedtime story is fantastic, best thing he does in the film.

This is just brilliant, really hard to imagine I’ll see a better film this year. I loved every second of it.

And that score! My brain was humming like a flying saucer. Beautiful.

57 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Uncut Gems is up tomorrow. Can’t wait. 

It's amazing.  My favourite movie of 2019.  Word of warning though - it's tense from beginning to the end and you will be shouting out loud at the main character.

I really can't believe that Adam Sandler was snubbed by not being nominated for the Oscars.  In my opinion, he's better than even Joaquin was. 

75 minutes into Uncut Gems and life got in the way.

Will probably finish it later, but tell me the last hour is better? Going to be an unpopular view here, but so far to me this is little more than a load of rather unpleasant people screaming at each other. Scene after scene. And the music is intrusive as fuck too.

[Will update this if/when I finish it - genuinely hope to come grovelling back based on the last hour alone]

No, if you’ve come to that conclusion I can’t see it turning into a different film for you.

In a film that is, as I’ve already said, a modern masterpiece, the incredible score and its magical use is arguably its most important element.

• Upvote 1

I thought Uncut Gems was absolutley incredible. The acting, the way it was filmed, the music, the sleazyness, the amazing faces on characters that only get a couple of lines - just superb. It felt like one of those low key 70's thrillers like 'The Friends of Eddie Coyle' - a bunch of street level gangsters and chancers trying to score big. 

5/5

• Upvote 2

Yup, just finished watching Uncut Gems. It was excellent. I never got all the way through Good Time, didn’t really like it. Maybe I was in the wrong mood, so I’m gonna go back and give it a proper watch now.

Joining the Uncut Gems love.  I read somewhere it’s the movie equivalent of a panic attack, it was certainly very intense.  And Julia Fox, damn.

Is everyone watching Uncut Gems tonight? Also just finished and I think I need a valium lol. Superb

Also watched Uncut Gems tonight. It's exhausting. Don't watch it if you feel like chilling out.

• Upvote 1