Axiom Verge 2 - out now

mdn2

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Perhaps, but given how cool the developer is, and how ace his games are, and the fact it’s only £15, I’d advise an immediate purchase on your platform of choice other than Xbox :)

If it wasn't for me having just bought Deaths Door and also having Hades to look forward to tomorrow then I'd be all over it right now as I bloody loved the first one and yeah, I agree the guy sounds like a top fella :)

Already over 25% now. Going too fast. Some thoughts:

- This is happy. Or rather, optimistic. The colours, the level design, everything has a positive vibe as opposed to AV1. 
- The music is also different, yet there’s some themes and the like being reused. Quite fun to listen for. 
- UI is cleaned up and less awkward compared to the first. 
- Level design is far more open and inviting. 
- Enemies are not tough, but your new melee weapon is adding a heap of trouble because of its limited range. I’ve had to resort to tanking damage more than once. 
- The 2 on the title screen feels very Mario. 

Spoilery stuff:

Spoiler

- Holy crap at what he’s done with the Drone/Breach. I’ve always wondered how far you could go platforming with the drone in the original and here it feels like second game on top.

- The bosses, I don’t know. This feels like the weakest part of the game as they are optional and miss an almost ritual aspect to them. They feel more like large enemies and although they can have fun patterns, I can’t really get enthusiastic about them. Not a dealbreaker, just odd to experience.

- Because of the lack of the direct level/boss/progress loop, the entire game does have a bit of a droning quality to it. It has enough cool things going on to keep it fun, but it has more of an open world vibe to it than a distinct completion drive.

- It’s very different! Whereas the original was my Metroid 5, this is just an entirely different beast doing its own thing. Not bad at all mind, I prefer such a mix-up over say, trying to do two things at once like in Samus Returns and not sticking the landing on either.

- In order to facilitate low percentage runs, all items need to be actively picked up/interacted with. That’s incredibly neat!

I am now awaiting a guide as I have no idea where to go after I find the thing that turns me into a ball/spider.

My human form is stuck and I can only get so far with the ball/spider before encountering something that kills me and that has become a bit frustrating.

41 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I am now awaiting a guide as I have no idea where to go after I find the thing that turns me into a ball/spider.

My human form is stuck and I can only get so far with the ball/spider before encountering something that kills me and that has become a bit frustrating.

Zr

10 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Zr

I have been activating everything I encounter! Initially with the hope that pedestals might come to life but they never have. 

I am stuck.

Stuck forever. 

:(

12 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I have been activating everything I encounter! Initially with the hope that pedestals might come to life but they never have. 

I am stuck.

Stuck forever. 

:(

Spoiler

Enter the Breach, follow the route, exit the Breach, hack the little platform to move it down, return to your body and use the platform again to go back up. Then you can go left and get back to the main area.

Hidden bonus in the top right!

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:
  Hide contents

Enter the Breach, follow the route, exit the Breach, hack the little platform to move it down, return to your body and use the platform again to go back up. Then you can go left and get back to the main area.

Hidden bonus in the top right!

Damn! I once moved the platform down but then never thought to go back to human form and use it. 

It sounds so obvious when written down too. 

Thanks! 

I got stuck too, & experimented with ZR only to find that it can do far more than I thought it could.  Dropped an upgrade point into expanding it's range so i can test it further...

Whereas Metroid was about shooting and skills, SotN was more about melee and exploration. 

This however, this is primarily exploration and skills. It’s like he’s distilled all the clever bits from the genre and made combat take a back seat. And it works far better than you might expect. 

Don’t get me wrong, there is combat, but it’s definitely not the focus. 

I finally started the first one tonight - and it’s great! After watching the doco about Happ and his son I couldn’t not buy this right away. I’ll get around to playing it eventually. :D

11 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Whereas Metroid was about shooting and skills, SotN was more about melee and exploration. 

This however, this is primarily exploration and skills. It’s like he’s distilled all the clever bits from the genre and made combat take a back seat. And it works far better than you might expect. 

Don’t get me wrong, there is combat, but it’s definitely not the focus. 

I need to get stuck in when I get the chance, got a bit side-tracked with work and, oh um, Hades, again. 

How hard is this game? I’m a filthy casual who loves me some epic, point any, sci-fi emotional philosophical stories and concepts. 

I hadn’t played a metroidvania in ages until I picked up shovel knight (then put it down because it was too hard!). The last before that might have actually been Super Metroid lol.

How does this compare to eg ori or hollow knight or even shovel knight? I really wanna get it after watching all this but am not sure I’m good enough. 

17 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

How hard is this game? I’m a filthy casual who loves me some epic, point any, sci-fi emotional philosophical stories and concepts. 

I hadn’t played a metroidvania in ages until I picked up shovel knight (then put it down because it was too hard!). The last before that might have actually been Super Metroid lol.

How does this compare to eg ori or hollow knight or even shovel knight? I really wanna get it after watching all this but am not sure I’m good enough. 

It’ll be perfect. Go into the settings before starting and up your own offensive power and lower the enemy offensive power. There’s more than enough in there to purely enjoy exploration. 

DE176A2F-2A0E-4C20-94BA-32DC5EE349DD.thumb.png.1e2d6b959181304d6b56f182f9f0cec7.png

Trophies are also not linked to difficulty settings, so go right ahead. 

Hell, even the bosses are optional. 

I really like how he’s done that with the bosses. The ones I’ve come across are just big majestic things roaming around their field as it were. You can either get stuck in, run away or sneak past them, with an idea of returning later with some meatier weapons. It all feels very organic and quite un-gamey for a quite a gamey thing. Like these big things are just there existing.

46 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

It’ll be perfect. Go into the settings before starting and up your own offensive power and lower the enemy offensive power. There’s more than enough in there to purely enjoy exploration. 

DE176A2F-2A0E-4C20-94BA-32DC5EE349DD.thumb.png.1e2d6b959181304d6b56f182f9f0cec7.png

Trophies are also not linked to difficulty settings, so go right ahead. 

Hell, even the bosses are optional. 

That is perfect. Feels like it should be cross-posted in the easy mode thread. This is how you do it!

I might be in love. Finally for the first time in a gazillion years I've been properly lost and squealed out of sheer delight when I discovered where I was. I mean you have a map and all, but if you're around halfway through game you'll know what I mean. :wub:

It's just so... dense. "Can I do that?" " -Yes, oh and here's an item. Great job!" That. Constantly. 😍

I think I have the OG Axiom Verge free from the Epic store? Heard it was a great game but hadn't gotten around to installing, not a big fan of these types of games blown up to 65", not knocking them, they look awesome but I prefer the likes of this and Katana Zero, shovel Knight et al on a handheld. They just go hand in hand in my eyes.

So, I had a load of gold coins sitting doing nothing on my Switch and was looking for something to use them towards, time to finally play some Axiom Verge, I'll probably get the first after I finish this, not a stickler for story continuity.

So glad I did because this is ace. Sat on my bed with the lights off, thoroughly entertained for the past couple of hours, should have been asleep ages ago. Fucking love my Switch with this type of game, really draws me in. Cracking stuff. Another hour won't kill me.

Completed the PS4 version with about 75% items. 

Unfortunately it crashed on me during the credits. Twice. Not sure what’s going on there though I did see what’s probably the most important bit. 

Now to replay on Switch. 😍

Also spoiler for after completing the game:

Spoiler

After escaping, your Indra says she’s something else. Combined with the artwork of her during the credits, and based upon the character/name in Axiom Verge 1, I think it is implied she ultimately becomes Ophelia.

This is probably also what happened to the Russians as well, as the Rusalki in 1 all carry Russian names except for Ophelia. Which probably checks with Indra’s mention in the final scene that finding a way to the motherworld would be “mutally beneficial”.

Not sure if this a bug or not, but once I got the ability to 

Spoiler

transform from Drone to Human

Every time i land from a jump or even just fall from one platform to another, the sprite changes to the one I started the game with in a crouched position, only to immediately switch back to the new sprite as soon as i move.  Is this a glitch or is explained in the story?