rllmuk
Droo

Games that sit at the peak of each generation graphically.

19 hours ago, kernow said:

PS2 and DC couldn't even run neo games properly 

Dreamcast was 32bit, n64 existed in the '32 bit' era , PS2 was 64bit 

Bits basically mean nothing 

Wasn’t the Dreamcast 128bit? 

On 26/12/2019 at 19:10, ulala said:

Sonic chaotix on the MegaDrive 

Are we we talking about the 32x add-on game, or some rom hack that replicates it on un-enhanced MD hardware (if there is one)?

Sin and Punishment on n64....utterly amazing given the fact the system theoretically couldn't push out as many polys as the playstation.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, knightbeat said:

Are we we talking about the 32x add-on game, or some rom hack that replicates it on un-enhanced MD hardware (if there is one)?

the mega drive game that uses the 32x enhancement chip

• Upvote 2

On a side note. Could you have technically piled all the 32x chips into a larger cart and had 32x games just run on a megadrive, a la SNES 3D games?

I suppose there was some sort of video mixing going on though and extra electrical power required. So my guess is no, for back then. 

But surely now this could be achieved with modern tech?

2 hours ago, ulala said:

the mega drive game that uses the 32x enhancement chip

The cartridge won't physically fit a Mega Drive though, so calling it a Mega Drive game is tenuous. And, if it could, it would not play without the 32X hardware add-on, which at the time cost as much, if not more, than the Mega Drive console itself.

Are you really saying this is the same as Star Fox on the SNES?

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

You’re just trolling now. FFS.

no, not trolling, trying to make a point that I honestly believe in.

i believe that snes enhancement chips like sfx2 in this thread should be treated the same as the MegaDrive and 32x

the difference being that the SNES enhancement chips had to be placed on every cart (and paid for each time) whereas the 32x enhanced games required a hardware pass through that had to be paid for once.

i don’t want to derail this thread, but would be happy to discuss it in more detail in a separate thread.  It’s quite an interesting topic 

(but please dont shut me down as a “troll”, it’s insulting )

3 hours ago, Droo said:

On a side note. Could you have technically piled all the 32x chips into a larger cart and had 32x games just run on a megadrive, a la SNES 3D games?

I suppose there was some sort of video mixing going on though and extra electrical power required. So my guess is no, for back then. 

But surely now this could be achieved with modern tech?

It's difficult, the 32X was designed incredibly stupidly in the way it does that video mixing.  Even fancy SD cards like the Mega SD that can do Mega CD games (a machine that also has extra chips) can't do 32x without a 32x.

38 minutes ago, ulala said:

i believe that snes enhancement chips like sfx2 in this thread should be treated the same as the MegaDrive and 32x

the difference being that the SNES enhancement chips had to be placed on every cart (and paid for each time) whereas the 32x enhanced games required a hardware pass through that had to be paid for once.

i don’t want to derail this thread, but would be happy to discuss it in more detail in a separate thread.  It’s quite an interesting topic 

Total troll.

so check this fucker out:

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/play-game-boy-advance-games-on-your-super-nintendo.html

I just changed the motherfucking game, y’all! We can now, by this same logic, declare that any gameboy advance game can be entered as the best looking game on the SNES! 

15 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Sin and Punishment on n64....utterly amazing given the fact the system theoretically couldn't push out as many polys as the playstation.

good shout. and the music!

1 hour ago, ulala said:

I know this is not going to make any difference to you, but again I have to say - the SNES was designed this way. Nintendo designed it so that the console had a base level of hardware and that games would come with enhancement hardware in the cartridge for use as and when appropriate, but those enhancements could never achieve what a 32X could. I mean the SNES had launch titles that used enhancement chips.

Pilotwings, for instance, was a first-party launch title in most territories for the SNES and that used the DSP-1 chip for Mode 7 support.

To be honest though, I personally feel that if a game came out for a console and could be played on that console by simply plugging the cartridge in, it should be valid. It doesn't even give anything an unfair advantage - I mean surely no-one thinks Virtua Racing on the Mega Drive is that console's best looking title?

38 minutes ago, Zio said:

I know this is not going to make any difference to you, but again I have to say - the SNES was designed this way. Nintendo designed it so that the console had a base level of hardware and that games would come with enhancement hardware in the cartridge for use as and when appropriate, but those enhancements could never achieve what a 32X could. I mean the SNES had launch titles that used enhancement chips.

Pilotwings, for instance, was a first-party launch title in most territories for the SNES and that used the DSP-1 chip for Mode 7 support.

To be honest though, I personally feel that if a game came out for a console and could be played on that console by simply plugging the cartridge in, it should be valid. It doesn't even give anything an unfair advantage - I mean surely no-one thinks Virtua Racing on the Mega Drive is that console's best looking title?

I appreciate you taking the time to make a genuine reply.

i agree that the SNES was designed, after what happened with the nes, to be used in the future with co processors. was this to keep the initial console price down?

f zero was a launch title to showcase the mode 7 graphics that didn’t need an enhancement chip. It seems an odd oversight to then have one in pilotwings a few months later. Why not include the dsp 1 on the motherboard? 

the MegaDrive included an expansion port (which is really just a cart port) was this a design that would allow enhancements in the future - like the extra pins in the snes cartridge port?

I can see your points, but I think this is a grey area rather than black and white.

my argument boils down to these observations 

1) the enhancement chips connect to the motherboard via pins in the cartridge port in a snes

2) Megadrive enhancements connects via say, the expansion port (which is an exact duplicate of the cartridge port)

3) you have to re-buy the enhancement chips in each game on a snes

4) Megadrive enhancements were released as 1 off purchases and much more “console” like, but are not considered separate consoles- they are still very much mega drives.

with respect to the original thread question, then it’s possible that some regard games like Yoshis Island as the pinnacle of snes graphics. 

my point throughout is that, as it uses a processor that’s 7x faster than the SNES cpu, it should not be considered /compared to games like Donkey Kong Country.

Again, thank you for humouring me rather than dismissing me outright.

Right, here's my rule.  If CEX says it's the same format, it's the same bloody format.

Starfox is a SNES game.  Virtua Racing Deluxe is a 32x game.

Solved.

• Upvote 3