rllmuk
Droo

Games that sit at the peak of each generation graphically.

19 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Holy crap. That's on SNES? I'd be happy with a PS1 game looking like that.

They actually re-released it on PS1 and Saturn with the sprite and tile art untouched.

• Upvote 1

Was thinking about this today, as I went to the local market.  There's a guy there doing retro and he had a PS2 running Gran Turismo 3 and I couldn't quite believe it was the PS2.  It was fast, smooth, detailed and it got me thinking about the way HD changed things.

The PS3 and Xbox 360, at least initially, brought us the same sort of content in HD.  If you play GT4 on a SD display it looks no different to GT3 on previous generation hardware.  It makes me wonder what games would look like if HD televisions hadn't been invented. The next generation of consoles had so much more power, but the bulk of it was spent driving the HD performance.  Imagine the level of graphical quality you'd get on a standard PS4 if TV's were still SD. 

13 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Was thinking about this today, as I went to the local market.  There's a guy there doing retro and he had a PS2 running Gran Turismo 3 and I couldn't quite believe it was the PS2.  It was fast, smooth, detailed and it got me thinking about the way HD changed things.

The PS3 and Xbox 360, at least initially, brought us the same sort of content in HD.  If you play GT4 on a SD display it looks no different to GT3 on previous generation hardware.  It makes me wonder what games would look like if HD televisions hadn't been invented. The next generation of consoles had so much more power, but the bulk of it was spent driving the HD performance.  Imagine the level of graphical quality you'd get on a standard PS4 if TV's were still SD. 

id love 240p games , who needs 4k

we would just need a lot of talented animators and artists 

On 21/12/2019 at 16:44, dumpster said:

There was a recent article on Digital Foundry showing how amazing modern HD games were on CRT monitors.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2019-modern-games-look-beautiful-on-crt-monitors

• Upvote 4

A couple that spring to mind for me are:

breath of fire 4 psx. Stunningly beautiful, animated sprite work with a gorgeous pastel pallet and 3D backgrounds that played to the consoles strengths by never being too zoomed in. 

Final fantasy tactics psx (for the same reasons). Still looks great today.

mother 3 GBA. The refinement of a visual style with really bold, beautiful colours, characters that oozed personality and astounding animation.

Also, I kind of understand the debate about the SNES add on chips from both perspectives, but if you’re going to go down that route, then you should probably limit cart sizes too. Seiken Densetsu 3 looked so much better because the cart was twice the size. 

• Upvote 1

On 21/12/2019 at 16:44, dumpster said:

I do wish I had imported all of my PS3 stuff to get access to 480i 60Hz over RGB. 

I’d love to replay a lot of that stuff on my PVM CRT. 

2 hours ago, beakbeak said:

Also, I kind of understand the debate about the SNES add on chips from both perspectives, but if you’re going to go down that route, then you should probably limit cart sizes too. Seiken Densetsu 3 looked so much better because the cart was twice the size. 

That's not even nearly the same thing.

21 minutes ago, Camel said:

That's not even nearly the same thing.

Why isn’t it? Towards the end of the snes’ life, memory became more affordable so carts could be made bigger and the graphic fidelity of games increased. 

It wouldn’t have been possible to create a game with the animation and scope of donkey kong country with an 8 megabit limit. 

For clarity, the rule for this thread should be - Whatever it says on the front of the box.  If it's a Snes game, as long as it says Snes on the box, it's a Snes game, regardless of memory size, extra chips etc.

• Upvote 8

Indeed, I don't think anything should be disqualified. If cart size is an issue you'd need to only allow games with the smallest ROM size for that console.

I own this thread. I decree that, as stated above, any and all games for any given system, regardless of memory size or additional chips, are hereby allowed to count. 

• Upvote 1

I’m going to start another thread snappily titled: ‘which games without enhancement chips with the lowest possible memory size represent each system most accurately’ 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Droo said:

I own this thread. I decree that, as stated above, any and all games for any given system, regardless of memory size or additional chips, are hereby allowed to count. 

Have you seen that nes playing doom with a raspberry pi rendering it directly to the nes PPU. Does this count ? 

This has also been done by console and not generation 

What generation was the neo in? 16bit I guess. 

If it was then 'best by generation' the neo would win each time as it's far more powerful. Better go best by console then 

Best graphics in 16bit generation

Garou

LB2

MS3 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kernow said:

This has also been done by console and not generation 

What generation was the neo in? 16bit I guess. 

If it was then 'best by generation' the neo would win each time as it's far more powerful. Better go best by console then 

Best graphics in 16bit generation

Garou

LB2

MS3 

Neo was technically 24bit, least they called it that.

They called it that

That doesn't mean it was 'technically 24bit'

They simply added the 16bit 68000 and 8bit z80 together.. it was definitely 16bit. 

I think trying to logically break down the implications of the question is a fools errand as multiple generations (as defined by more powerful tech) can overlap / coexist together longer than they don't.

Those late era Neo Geo classics were produced in the 32-bit generation, the Game Gear's lifespan and prettiest games overlapped with the Saturn era,

Galaxy Force's Super Scaler arcade board was released in 1988 and was so powerful it was only replicated faithfully for the home near the end of the PS2 era.

Not really sure if I have a succinct point.

Good topic.

PS2 and DC couldn't even run neo games properly 

Dreamcast was 32bit, n64 existed in the '32 bit' era , PS2 was 64bit 

Bits basically mean nothing 

And the instantaneous access to large amounts of ROM 

Sprites weren't actually an issue, simple enough to do and there certainly wasn't a restriction in that area. Kof98 on DC had smaller sprites but the animation and translation to polygon based hardware wasn't the issue, it was the lack of RAM. 

17 hours ago, kernow said:

They called it that

That doesn't mean it was 'technically 24bit'

They simply added the 16bit 68000 and 8bit z80 together.. it was definitely 16bit. 

I think like the Jaguar, they claimed that because it had a 24bit bus rather than putting the two cpus together. Otherwise the Mega Drive could have said the same thing and still wouldn't make much sense.

Anyways enough bits and chips talk. Let's talk about Sonic Jam. No not the Mega Drive ports but the 3D hub world.

445007-sjam1.png445011-sjam4.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqVCsEPYjHqdkyGxPRbFP

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1Wb4Z9By5o1d9dqCUrsd

It used a pretty clever technique to make a huge world the PSone would probably struggle with and the N64 was able to pull off with ease. Use one of it's infinite planes to make the ground, then add the polygons on top thanks to its frame buffer. It's such a shame we never got a full 3D game on saturn looking like this (xtreme always looked awful) as to me its segas version of Mario 64 and translating sonic into 3D pretty successfully. Plus they were not obsessed with 'gotta go fast' like they are now. Still at least Sonic Adventure was pretty good at the time.

G6s4AB6.png

VjBT3lu.png

• Upvote 3