Jump to content
rllmuk
kerraig UK

Rumour: Disney burying Hollywood classics

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

 

Well, I was expecting to find out this answer in about 4 months from now, not 4 minutes... but there you go! 

 

Can we use this thread to chart every physical release of Skywalker. You know, the standard DVD, Blu Ray, Blu Ray 3D, 4K, retailer exclusive cover edition, boxed set with episodes 7-9, complete box set with eps 1-9, eventual extended edition, special edition where someone fires first, special extended complete Star Wars box set edition with the Christmas special, extra special box set edition in the shape of Vader's mask with a exclusive 10 minute behind the scenes look at the design of Ray's lightsaber. You know, all the standard releases which are invariably going to happen with any big release. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JPL said:

What made you so certain earlier? It makes literally zero sense for them not to do it.

 

I'm still just as certain dude. Just maybe got the title wrong. Happy to say watch this space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, McCoy said:

 

Can we use this thread to chart every physical release of Skywalker. You know, the standard DVD, Blu Ray, Blu Ray 3D, 4K, retailer exclusive cover edition, boxed set with episodes 7-9, complete box set with eps 1-9, eventual extended edition, special edition where someone fires first, special extended complete Star Wars box set edition with the Christmas special, extra special box set edition in the shape of Vader's mask with a exclusive 10 minute behind the scenes look at the design of Ray's lightsaber. You know, all the standard releases which are invariably going to happen with any big release. 

 

This will not age well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I'll stake this claim now. Rise of Skywalker will not get a solid state release at all in the next 5 years. 

 

42 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

 

This will not age well. 

 

:coffee:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Everything mentioned in this thread is available on major formats or available for pre-release.

 

Thread un-delivers.

 

 


Oh thankyou, I wasn't aware history stopped today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:


Oh thankyou, I wasn't aware history stopped today!

 

Redemption can be achieved by sampling naming the movie or the date by which your movie apocalypse happens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny stuff aside, I think kerraig is right. But not because Evil Disney is masterminding the end of physical media, but because the market physical media will simply cease to exist. Like nobody wanted to buy cassette tapes once CDs became common. Newer generations will grow up used to streaming everything whenever and wherever, buying a disc will seem hella antiquated. I mean, I stopped buying CDs because of Spotify et al. It's so much more convenient. Not necessarily better, but easier.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Funny stuff aside, I think kerraig is right. But not because Evil Disney is masterminding the end of physical media, but because the market physical media will simply cease to exist. Like nobody wanted to buy cassette tapes once CDs became common. Newer generations will grow up used to streaming everything whenever and wherever, buying a disc will seem hella antiquated. I mean, I stopped buying CDs because of Spotify et al. It's so much more convenient. Not necessarily better, but easier.

 

Well yes, that's part of it. But they will also consciously bury the library/archive and not allow its release unless it strategically supports a current IP or campaign (according to rumour).

 

Disney don't believe in giving full access to a library. This was even evident in the blockbuster video days when we had to pull Peter Pan from rental after 99 days and return the stock to Disney.

 

Cinemas have already been issued with a moratorium on old titles. 

 

It's great that this Star Wars is coming to Blu Ray and everything. I'm more worried about us never getting an 8k transfer of Southern Comfort or again being able to go watch a 35mm print double bill of The Fly and Dead Ringers.

 

From the day after their current licensing deals expire with Sky, Hulu, Netflix etc... You may only be able to access library titles via 2nd hand DVD or Blu Ray. 

Most people won't care because library titles are losing their mass appeal, but it means a lot to those of us who give a shit about the history of cinema.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the early days of anime here in the UK (i.e just before Manga Video) it was rumoured that Disney had bought up the Western rights to all of Miyazaki's work because they considered it competition to their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fox movies that you soon may no longer be able to see on the big screen, rent, stream or buy (except for 2nd Hand DVD & Blu Ray):

Fight Club
The thin red line
Something about mary

Titanic (Cameron might have a say in this as he was a co-financier)

The crucible

Romeo + Juliet

Independence Day

Strange days

Braveheart

Die hard with a vengeance

Airheads
Speed

Mrs Doubtfire

Last of the mohicans

Alien 3
My cousin vinny

Naked lunch

Barton fink

The commitments

Hot Shots

Edward scissorhands

Home alone

Predator 2

Millers crossing

Adventures of ford fairlane

Die hard 2

War of the roses

Fabulous baker boys

The abyss

Dead ringers

Young guns

Die Hard

Big
Wall Street

The Princess Bride

Predator

Raising Arizona

The Fly

Big Trouble in little China

Aliens

Legend

Highlander

Enemy Mine

Brazil

Commando

Cocoon

Ladyhawke

Dreamscape

Buckaroo Banzai

Romancing the stone

King of comedy

The Verdict

Porkys

Southern Comfort

Cannonball run

Alien

The Driver

The Fury

The Omen

The Rocky horror Picture Show
Young Frankenstein
Towering Inferno
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Legend of hell house

Sleuth

Poseidon Adventure

French Connection
Walkabout
Escape from the planet of the apes
Panic in Needle Park
Vanishing Point
Little Murders
Tora Tora Tora
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Patton

MASH

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

Planet of the Apes
One million years BC

Stagecoach

Cleopatra
The Longest Day

Cabinet of Dr Caligari
The innocents
The Hustler
etc....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Plissken said:

In the early days of anime here in the UK (i.e just before Manga Video) it was rumoured that Disney had bought up the Western rights to all of Miyazaki's work because they considered it competition to their own.

 

They did. Then they dubbed it with big Hollywood names and released them in the West.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I for one am ready for Michael Bay's Alien

 

Starring:

 

Mark Whalberg as Dallas

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley as Ripley

Dwayne Johnson as Parker

Matt Berry as Ash

Megan Fox as Lambert

John Tuturro as Brett

Shia LaBeouf as Kane

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kerraig UK said:

 

They did. Then they dubbed it with big Hollywood names and released them in the West.

 

No, this was before Lasseter and Pixar got involved in all that, which was post Toy Story et al.  I'm talking circa 88-93.  It turns out that the fans were wrong and the rights were owned by Streamline, who also released Akira.

 

The dubbed version of Laputa broadcast on ITV on New Years Eve 1988 was done by Streamline.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Plissken said:

 

No, this was before Lasseter and Pixar got involved in all that, which was post Toy Story et al.  I'm talking circa 88-93.  It turns out that the fans were wrong and the rights were owned by Streamline, who also released Akira.

 

The dubbed version of Laputa broadcast on ITV on New Years Eve 1988 was done by Streamline.

 


Ah, I don't remember that rumour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

 

Well yes, that's part of it. But they will also consciously bury the library/archive and not allow its release unless it strategically supports a current IP or campaign (according to rumour).

 

Disney don't believe in giving full access to a library. This was even evident in the blockbuster video days when we had to pull Peter Pan from rental after 99 days and return the stock to Disney.

 

Cinemas have already been issued with a moratorium on old titles. 

 

It's great that this Star Wars is coming to Blu Ray and everything. I'm more worried about us never getting an 8k transfer of Southern Comfort or again being able to go watch a 35mm print double bill of The Fly and Dead Ringers.

 

From the day after their current licensing deals expire with Sky, Hulu, Netflix etc... You may only be able to access library titles via 2nd hand DVD or Blu Ray. 

Most people won't care because library titles are losing their mass appeal, but it means a lot to those of us who give a shit about the history of cinema.

 

 

Is this the same Disney that has just released an extremely extensive selection of its back catalogue through Disney +?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, McCoy said:

 

Is this the same Disney that has just released an extremely extensive selection of its back catalogue through Disney +?

 

I think you've both landed on and missed the point quite spectacularly there, yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

 

I think you've both landed on and missed the point quite spectacularly there, yes. 

Are you saying that catologue titles will at some point only be availible through Disney+ or that they will at some point be removed from Disney+? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Are you saying that catologue titles will at some point only be availible through Disney+ or that they will at some point be removed from Disney+? 


I'm saying that the rumour is that catalogue titles will be buried unless there is a good strategic reason to show them, at which point they'll only be available on Disney+

 

Its not like Disney don't have precedent here. And repetory cinemas are already being denied titles like Fight Club, which are their bread & butter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:


I'm saying that the rumour is that catalogue titles will be buried unless there is a good strategic reason to show them, at which point they'll only be available on Disney+

 

Right, so things like archive catologue titles will potentially only be availible on Disney+. I can see that happening. What's harder to see is why said titles would exit Disney+ though. If the idea is to generate profit through sustained subscriptions to that platform then removing content would be a questionable strategy. 

 

Of course, given things like Die Hard have already sold millions of DVDs and are widely availible in a piratable digital format it is hard to see any attempt by Disney to 'bury' these titles being successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disney+ is to remain family-friendly, so the likes of Die Hard and Fight Club won't be on there anyway. More likely to be on an internationally expanded Hulu. There was a sort of smirking non-denial when asked about that not too long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, McCoy said:

 

Right, so things like archive catologue titles will potentially only be availible on Disney+. I can see that happening. What's harder to see is why said titles would exit Disney+ though. If the idea is to generate profit through sustained subscriptions to that platform then removing content would be a questionable strategy. 

 

Of course, given things like Die Hard have already sold millions of DVDs and are widely availible in a piratable digital format it is hard to see any attempt by Disney to 'bury' these titles being successful. 


DVD is really shitty quality though. I don't want the only way I ever get to see Dirty Mary Crazy Larry again to be in Standard Definition. It was shot on 35mm, I want the quality of watching that film to evolve as the technology does. 

In the DVD boom and the early days of Blu Ray there were collectors so it made financial sense to dive into the library. Collectors don't exist anymore in justifiable numbers, so lots of these really precious films are in danger of disappearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.