rllmuk
kerraig UK

Rumour: Disney burying Hollywood classics

There are rumours circulating Hollywood that Disney are offering classic Fox IP to CAA and WME writers and directors for remake treatment. 

So far so Hollywood. 

But there are also rumours that the originals will not be made available on any platform. Not cinema, Disney +, Blu Ray or Amazon

This includes Aliens, Die Hard, Predator and many other classics. 

Rewriting history essentially. 

I'll dig out more sources when I'm on my laptop next but it's pretty concerning. 

Screenshot_20191208_205123_com.twitter.android.jpg

Disney have been absolute shits with their own back catalogue, releasing limited runs of their films before deleting them for years to artificially inflate demand and justify expensive anniversary editions. (The Lion King Question was a running joke at HMV.) Not surprised that a similarly aggressive policy would apply to other films that they're buying up.

This combines horribly with the way Netflix is a wasteland for finding anything made before about 1980. I suspect there are a lot of people under 25 or so who think films were invented in the 70s.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Speaking of such classics, I was watching Commando on the telly last night. It struck me for the first time how weird it was that the baddie’s mansion had some sort of industrial power plant underneath it, presumably to hear the radiators in a South American country.

4 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Speaking of such classics, I was watching Commando on the telly last night. It struck me for the first time how weird it was that the baddie’s mansion had some sort of industrial power plant underneath it, presumably to hear the radiators in a South American country.

That’s the least of Commandos logic problems tbh.

• Upvote 3

This is just the chickens coming home to roost. It’s clear to all that the Disney buyout should never have gotten past the US checks, but here we are.

As Harsin has already alluded to tho, there’ll still be a vocal group saying it’s all good because something something Marvel..

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, deerokus said:

This combines horribly with the way Netflix is a wasteland for finding anything made before about 1980. I suspect there are a lot of people under 25 or so who think films were invented in the 70s.

Not gonna lie, because of this I've had to resort to piracy to track down some old films because I simply couldnt find them anywhere.

This really stinks and as much as I'm happy to see Disney have all the Marvel characters (bar the Spiderverse) it isnt worth it if all these amazing films and classics just getting buried. It's very sad.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Not sure if it's been reported here but monopoly laws for film have also been repealed in the last month. 

The so called 'Paramount law' stated that a studio had to offer it's product to all chains. So for example a Warner movie had to be offered to a Universal cinema. 

No more. Disney can now refuse their films to rival chains. Expect to see Disney exclusive cinema chains popping up in the US, and thousands of independent cinemas going out of business because they don't get the latest Marvel film. 

They're slitting the industry's throat.

• Empathy 1

47 minutes ago, drmick said:

Even Disney couldn't successfully bury Aliens or Predator. No way.

But just in case, I'll be picking up the Blu-Rays!

Well no they'll exist illegally. But that's really not the point. 

12 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Not sure if it's been reported here but monopoly laws for film have also been repealed in the last month. 

The so called 'Paramount law' stated that a studio had to offer it's product to all chains. So for example a Warner movie had to be offered to a Universal cinema. 

No more. Disney can now refuse their films to rival chains. Expect to see Disney exclusive cinema chains popping up in the US, and thousands of independent cinemas going out of business because they don't get the latest Marvel film. 

They're slitting the industry's throat.

the article you linked to suggests Disney aren’t affected by that law though

4 hours ago, footle said:

the article you linked to suggests Disney aren’t affected by that law though

Only due to them being an animation outfit when the rules were applied. If Disney suddenly tried to vertically integrate into exclusive theatrical distribution they'd get roped in. Which is why repealing it is so important to them (and Amazon and Netflix).

Any way you cut it the future is going to be individual platforms and anti consumer.

On 09/11/2017 at 19:51, Down by Law said:

Disney can keep their superhero shit and endless iterations of star wars as far as I'm concerned. The way they are strong arming cinema chains in the US is abhorrent. Disney are the fucking EA of the movie biz 

• Upvote 2

I don't think if this is an example of this as such but I wanted to see about renting out The Last Jedi the other day, maybe for a couple of quid. They didn't have it anywhere. Only place I could find to get it was by subscribing to Now TV and I didn't want to do that. What's the point of limiting the availability of that?

1 hour ago, James Lyon said:

I don't think if this is an example of this as such but I wanted to see about renting out The Last Jedi the other day, maybe for a couple of quid. They didn't have it anywhere. Only place I could find to get it was by subscribing to Now TV and I didn't want to do that. What's the point of limiting the availability of that?

This is why I still buy discs. I feel like a dinosaur doing so, but stuff just isn't universally available and I think the situation will worsen as distributors narrow consumers' access to films.

• Upvote 2

I don’t feel like a dinosaur at all. It’s always made perfect sense to me to own physical media. I totally understand the storage space aspect and to a lesser extent the ease of use of streaming, but neither outweigh the huge benefits of physical media, imo.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, James Lyon said:

This is absolutely an example of this. You won't be able to get TLJ anywhere except Disney + as soon as the Sky deal expires. 

5 hours ago, James Lyon said:

They were doing you a favour!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

This is absolutely an example of this. You won't be able to get TLJ anywhere except Disney + as soon as the Sky deal expires. 

All of this sounds completely insane to me. So do you think then that The Rise of Skywalker won't get even a physical release once the theatrical run is over?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joystick Chevron said:

All of this sounds completely insane to me. So do you think then that The Rise of Skywalker won't get even a physical release once the theatrical run is over?

100%

And if it does, it will be on a 99 day window at a disgusting price. 

If you want credentials I worked in Disney theatrical releasing for nearly 9 years 

• Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

100%

And if it does, it will be on a 99 day window at a disgusting price. 

If you want credentials I worked in Disney theatrical releasing for nearly 9 years 

I don’t believe that will happen.

There are too many idiots like me eager to buy films like this multiple times for them to do it.

i don’t doubt they will lock the only online version behind plus, but they won’t completely ignore physical media.

Nah. They’re not going to leave money on the table for the thousands of movies they own that aren’t suitable for the family focussed Disney+.

They’ll still put out physical media while there’s people who’ll buy it. And while they may remake or sequel a large tranche of family friendly titles, there’s still many thousands they won’t remake (Like I dunno, The French Connection) that they’ll keep in circulation on physical media (either through licensing deals or via their own distribution channels) because there’s dollars to be had.

Also remakes haven’t traditionally meant that originals get buried at Disney - if anything they can often be effective at stimulating demand. Aladdin, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast remakes haven’t stopped the originals being available - in fact they’ve timed re-releases to go alongside the remakes. Or even offered them as double packs! 

66A5010F-ECC7-4B9C-A3A8-507A672A941E.jpeg.5132b4be98a6250f65cdec2ed961cf51.jpeg

If you think they’re going to stop evergreen sellers like Die Hard or recent hits like Last Jedi from being on sale on physical media then you’re crazy.

The distribution thing is true, and I think that’s because Disney like re-releases to be events that can be controlled and marketed. And sure, that will probably make it tough for cinemas like Prince Charles to get certain titles.

But I can’t see that lasting forever - they’ll realise that getting £500 to let some fleapit screen Mother, Jugs and Speed is still worth more to them than being able to sit on a massive pile of hoarded film canisters like they’re fucking Gollum. 

Likewise with the remakes - you don’t buy all that Fox IP just to leave it all in a vault - you re-boot, re-make or sequel it to make it relevant again. And you use that to generate interest in the originals and sell big fat box sets with 10 featurettes and a commentary from the caterer. 

I think you’re taking a kernel of truth and stretching it beyond breaking point into some sort of crazy Chicken Licken falling sky cinemageddon scenario. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Nah. They’re not going to leave money on the table for the thousands of movies they own that aren’t suitable for the family focussed Disney+.

They’ll still put out physical media while there’s people who’ll buy it. And while they may remake or sequel a large tranche of family friendly titles, there’s still many thousands they won’t remake (Like I dunno, The French Connection) that they’ll keep in circulation on physical media (either through licensing deals or via their own distribution channels) because there’s dollars to be had.

Also remakes haven’t traditionally meant that originals get buried at Disney - if anything they can often be effective at stimulating demand. Aladdin, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast remakes haven’t stopped the originals being available - in fact they’ve timed re-releases to go alongside the remakes. Or even offered them as double packs! 

66A5010F-ECC7-4B9C-A3A8-507A672A941E.jpeg.5132b4be98a6250f65cdec2ed961cf51.jpeg

If you think they’re going to stop evergreen sellers like Die Hard or recent hits like Last Jedi from being on sale on physical media then you’re crazy.

The distribution thing is true, and I think that’s because Disney like re-releases to be events that can be controlled and marketed. And sure, that will probably make it tough for cinemas like Prince Charles to get certain titles.

But I can’t see that lasting forever - they’ll realise that getting £500 to let some fleapit screen Mother, Jugs and Speed is still worth more to them than being able to sit on a massive pile of hoarded film canisters like they’re fucking Gollum. 

Likewise with the remakes - you don’t buy all that Fox IP just to leave it all in a vault - you re-boot, re-make or sequel it to make it relevant again. And you use that to generate interest in the originals and sell big fat box sets with 10 featurettes and a commentary from the caterer. 

I think you’re taking a kernel of truth and stretching it beyond breaking point into some sort of crazy Chicken Licken falling sky cinemageddon scenario. 

I love this in the equal amount that it breaks my heart. 

I was a head of department in theatrical releasing at Disney for 9 years. I've literally sat at the table with Eisner. 

I think you are in for a major shock in the next few years 

I mean, I know you are. But it all moves so fast now you won't actually care. 

• Downvote 2