Jump to content
rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Free Guy

Recommended Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/12/free-guy-trailer-ryan-reynolds-shawn-levy-joe-keery-20th-century-fox-1202803053/

 

Ryan Reyonds plays a background NPC, Guy, in an open world videogame, Free City, who decides to take control of his life after being surrounded by videogame mayhem for 27 days straight. Directed by Shawn Levy.

 

I like the opening text poking fun at the studio's new owners.

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, it's really cool that Disney are attempting some new ideas again, and I admit it does look like fun. But it does put into stark stark contrast how infantile we've become in 20 years. This is the millenials what The Truman Show was for Gen X and I fear The Truman Show would never get the green light now.

I expect to see many more Idiocracy versions of great cinema over the coming years and I think I'm about ready to die now thanks.

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Ok, it's really cool that Disney are attempting some new ideas again, and I admit it does look like fun. But it does put into stark stark contrast how infantile we've become in 20 years. This is the millenials what The Truman Show was for Gen X and I fear The Truman Show would never get the green light now.

I expect to see many more Idiocracy versions of great cinema over the coming years and I think I'm about ready to die now thanks.

 

You mean Generation Z. Millenials Truman Show was Truman Show.

 

(For reference I'm a millennial)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan Reynolds has so much charisma. He make nearly everything enjoyable. 

 

Saw a couple of episode of Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place again the other day and whilst it has aged pretty poorly, Reynolds is still the best thing about it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

 

You mean Generation Z. Millenials Truman Show was Truman Show.

 

(For reference I'm a millennial)

Do I? Truman Show is 1998. I was 22 when it came out. I'm Gen X.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Ryan Reynolds has so much charisma. He make nearly everything enjoyable. 

 

Saw a couple of episode of Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place again the other day and whilst it has aged pretty poorly, Reynolds is still the best thing about it. 

 

Let's hope he does the same for that Michael Bay Netflix movie, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

Do I? Truman Show is 1998. I was 22 when it came out. I'm Gen X.
 

 

Yeah I think it's way more targeted to Gen Z, people in their late teens/early twenties. Still it looks fun and can be enjoyed by all, but I wouldn't say this is the Millennial version of the Truman Show. I'm 33, I was 13 when Truman Show came out, so if Truman Show wasn't our Truman Show, what is? I was 22 in 2008.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

 

Yeah I think it's way more targeted to Gen Z, people in their late teens/early twenties. Still it looks fun and can be enjoyed by all, but I wouldn't say this is the Millennial version of the Truman Show. I'm 33, I was 13 when Truman Show came out, so if Truman Show wasn't our Truman Show, what is? I was 22 in 2008.

 

You're not automatically entitled to one Truman Show per generation buddy. That's not how it works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

 

You're not automatically entitled to one Truman Show per generation buddy. That's not how it works!

 

Fair enough, but to dismiss older millennials with such ease suggesting that this dumbed down film is their Truman Show, is just wrong and insulting. Just cause you're slightly  older doesn't mean you own it, especially when the age rating for it is perfect for teens and up (when it was releases). Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread, but Millennial is such trope term these days to suggest stupid/dumb and it's quite infuriating.

 

Moving on, this looks fun, but nothing I'd be rushing to go out and see immediately. I'll definitely catch it on home release though cause I do enjoy Ryan Reynolds.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Feels like I've seen the entire movie after watching that trailer

 

I'm sure there's a hamfisted lesson in there about taking control of your own destiny that is a lot more vulgar and obvious in the final film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

 

Fair enough, but to dismiss older millennials with such ease suggesting that this dumbed down film is their Truman Show, is just wrong and insulting. Just cause you're slightly  older doesn't mean you own it, especially when the age rating for it is perfect for teens and up (when it was releases). Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread, but Millennial is such trope term these days to suggest stupid/dumb and it's quite infuriating.

 

Moving on, this looks fun, but nothing I'd be rushing to go out and see immediately. I'll definitely catch it on home release though cause I do enjoy Ryan Reynolds.


Ok Boomer. 


How about I just say "Pre-Idiocracy" and "Post-Idiocracy". Does that trigger you less?

;)

  • Downvote 8
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the trailer was pretty cringey, but complaining that it's dumbing down cinema seems a bit much.

 

Surely The Last Action Hero is a better comparison than The Truman Show? Both worlds that run on dumb action shlock logic, just from different mediums? Don't take themselves too seriously? Both pretty mediocre?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Ryan Reynolds, I love GTA online. This seems like they entered my dreams and made a film out of it.

 

Just for information, I'm 35, love the truman show, and cant see any link between this and the truman show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.