rllmuk
Robo_1

Modern Spectrum Games

Thought I'd create a catch all thread, for some of the incredible new Spectrum games which are being developed. Please use it to share your favourite releases of the last decade, including download links where possible.

To kick off, I'll share ZOYSA Entertainment's new arcade racer, Drift. The presentation, graphics and audio, are pushing new boundaries in a machine which has already been stretched beyond anything anybody could have ever reasonably imagined the machine was capable of.

The game itself is a 3D racer, in which you drift around a series of courses, racking up points as you do so. The game features five cars and six different courses and full 3D manoeuvrability. It's surprisingly addictive but pretty tough. An incredible achievement for the humble Spec.

Get it here: https://rgb.yandex/storage/203/drift.zip

• Upvote 7

Great topic. I’ll definitely give this a try. Reminds me a bit of one of my favourite spectrum racers, the often neglected Nightmare Rally!

Theres a few great modern spectrum games, I’ll fire up my spectrum tonight and put some on here...

• Upvote 2

I'm constantly amazed and delighted that the Spectrum still commands enough releases to justify an (almost) yearly Crash Annual, with some really impressive technical accomplishments still arising as well.

I played around with Gandalf DLX a while back and was amazed by some of the trickery on display. It defied everything I thought I knew about Spectrum graphical limitations!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Swainy said:

I had a go of this earlier...

its obviously a clone of Savage but I actually found more playable than Savage.

That looks great, although I could see it as being a sequel to this classic game (with classic cover and free GIANT poster!)

Vixen.thumb.jpg.ad54fdbe69370cf7b09766ef3d8cdcbb.jpg

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Awesome thread!

Is everyone playing these on original hardware or emulators? Are the games available on cassette or download only?

I’m playing on original hardware.

There is a new publisher called Bitmapsoft http://www.bitmapsoft.co.uk which might be publishing these on cassette a bit further down the line.

They've sent me few games to review. The latest being called Unhallowed which is a text adventure which is pretty cool.

vvNVhKB.jpg

Xym19od.jpg

40 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Awesome thread!

Is everyone playing these on original hardware or emulators? Are the games available on cassette or download only?

I've done a bit of a look around on the MiSTer, but mostly I'm saving them for the arrival of the Next.

Great to see this thread being so well received and filling up with so many great games. My jaw dropped when I started playing that Castlevania game. It's not just the technical achievement, it's how many features they've crammed into it and the sheer size of it. The attention to detail these enthusiasts give to these games is incredible.

Another great game from the recent crop, is Mighty Final Fight:

Get it here: http://idpixel.ru/games/m/mightyfinalfight/files/mff_v1.0.tap.zip

It's a cracking conversion of the NES original. Probably the best scrolling beat 'em up on the machine after the legendary Target: Renegade. The host YouTube channel of the above vid is definitely worth following if you're interested in the modern Spec scene.

That Space Monsters game is amazing. If you'd have told me it was a Next game I'd have been impressed, that it's on the humble Spec is a stunning achievement. Looks fun too. I've downloaded everything shared, plenty to get stuck into, thanks for the contributions. :)

It's interesting scrolling through this thread... you really start to notice that modern Spectrum games are so colourful compared to old Spectrum games, which relied way too much on monochrome. They've really got a handle on making the most of the few resources the Speccy has!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dr_Dave said:

It's interesting scrolling through this thread... you really start to notice that modern Spectrum games are so colourful compared to old Spectrum games, which relied way too much on monochrome. They've really got a handle on making the most of the few resources the Speccy has!

I think "modern" developers on the Spectrum definitely have taken design cues from Dave Perry and Nick Bruty's games. They really understood how to make Spectrum games look amazing, with lots of colours, but by having a certain chunky sprite design to make the most of the attributes. 

In a way it's a shame that especially their later games are a bit forgotten, I suppose games like Dan Dare 3, Extreme, Smash TV, Captain Planet, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Tintin, which looked incredible on the Spectrum at the time, just didn't compare graphically to games on the 16bit systems. But it's really great to see their approach to colourful games being taken by modern Spectrum developers as they really make them stand out compared to the likes of modern Commodore 64 games (which usually look a bit washed out and brown in comparison!)

19 hours ago, Swainy said:

This one is pretty cool too.

How on earth did they manage all those colours with seemingly no clash? What?

I don't understand what he's saying, but I expect it's something about souls being sold and goats sacrificed to the Dark Gods.

• Upvote 3

It's not just the graphics where the Spectrum has been pushed. I've shared this before, but it never fails to amaze. This is the AY chip, pushing a near perfect chip tune rendition of Extreme Ways.

This is a run through of the full game and the rest of the music is awesome too.

You can buy it at: http://www.worldxxisoft.com/En/TS/TS.htm

It's a great little game too. Nice little bite sized levels.

• Upvote 1