rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Tetmon

Xmas hampers UK

Hello,

Do you have any recommendations for Xmas hampers I can order online to be delivered in the UK? 

Are they worth it?

Ones I have googled seem to be a bit small for the price.

Have I left it too late?

Any advice appreciated

I might be wrong, but I always get the impression you're getting massively overcharged.

Just buy an empty hamper and fill it with nice stuff from wherever (preferably not Fortnum and Mason which is mostly overpriced and not any better than other brands, often worse).

• Upvote 2

Suggestions for good stuff to chuck in one would be an idea though. I'd nominate a couple of things I've tried recently.

Peter's Yard sourdough crackers are fantastic. They don't look special, and at full price are really expensive. But they're also proper nom. I mean, really bloody good. One of those things I won't even bother putting cheese on because they taste so good on their own. Wait for them to be on special offer and then snap them up. 

Crosta & Mollica stuff - the olive bread sticks are great, but these tarallini are amazing. They've got almost no ingredients (flour, oil, wine and fennel seeds IIRC) and yet taste so very good.

Would love to hear other suggestions.

• Upvote 1

These balsamic vinegars are pretty special. I've been to the acetaia where they make them in Modena. Completely different product to the stuff you buy for a quid in the supermarket.

I like to just eat (drink?) mine poured onto a plastic spoon (a metal spoon gives off a metallic taste). They're not DOP, (approx £75 for 100ml) but they're very similar in taste and they're much better value for money, especially the cheaper one. I own both. Subtle differences, but people with good palates definitely prefer the more expensive one. I think they're 12 and 25 years old respectively.

Think of this more like a fine alcohol, rather than vinegar. The flavours are genuinely incredible. I've fed quite a lot of people a spoonful when they come round to my house and they're always amazed. Good on strawberries, vanilla ice cream, panna cotta (the best dessert of my life was one topped with real balsamico), risotto, a ball of mozzarella,  etc

554-2001326-4152_ALT10.jpeg

554-2001326-4154_ALT10.jpeg

FB_IMG_1575702845746.jpg

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, MarkN said:

Crosta & Mollica stuff - the olive bread sticks are great, but these tarallini are amazing. They've got almost no ingredients (flour, oil, wine and fennel seeds IIRC) and yet taste so very good.

I did a road trip around Italy a few years ago. We went to a town that sold loads off these. I think it might have been in Lecce, definitely somewhere in Puglia. My friend became completely addicted to them. We were going for a fancy lunch and she'd munched about 3/4 of a 500g bag on the way there.

Thanks all.

I'm not based in the UK and wanted to send something back to the family as I won't be able to make it.

Fortnum and Mason's were the first to come to mind, but they seemed a bit paltry for the price.

I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole.  I'm looking for something with more local produce and have come up with these:

https://www.britishfinefoods.com/christmas/christmas-hampers

https://www.finescottishhampers.com/haggis-hampers/

https://www.hampers.co.uk/price.html

I feel a bit lost now.

I think with Fortnum and Masons you're primarily buying the name. If the people you're buying for are going to be impressed by the name, packaging etc, they will naturally enjoy the products more. Knowing that something is expensive can definitely affect someone's enjoyment. 

However, if you're purely going on taste I'd look elsewhere. Generally anything that has a Great Taste award is pretty decent. 

• Upvote 2

When abroad I would order my Dad his favourite foods and wine from Sainsburys as a home delivery. Not giving much care for branding and packaging, he was over the moon with this.

If presentation matters (which to be fair is important for most people when reviewing a gift) then an actual hamper would be better even if less value.

• Upvote 1

Could you get a supermarket delivery (or deliveries) to someone you know who could hamper it up for you (or just box it nicely with a bit of wrapping and padding - who really needs a basket?) and pass/send it on? That sounds like an ideal solution - you'd get to choose exactly what goes in it, without paying over-the-odds for the contents. You could also get them to chuck in silly odds and ends that you'd never get in an actual hamper (for me if a hamper had a curly wurly, a jar of pickled eggs, and a pack of fig rolls I'd know it was personal).

• Upvote 2