rllmuk
Loik V credern

Best of gritty New York

1 hour ago, Fusty Gusset said:

Ahhh the smell of cheap cologne, pleather and garbage.

Seriously how good is that. 

It's an earlier era but it was shot latte 70's. I prefer the Wanderers to the Warriors

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Fucking hell this sent me down a right rabbit hole today. Watched several great docs on a similar kick, one of which actually had a few of these characters in. An update of sorts, although it may actually be an update to an even earlier documentary they appeared in as the archive footage features a couple of them (Blackie from the above) but in black and white and from the early 70s. All about the gangs and the savage nomads etc.

I've been fascinated with NY and the Bronx since the early/mid 80s, ever since catching a video for Planet Rock and going nuts about films like Wild Style and Beat Street, back when we were all listening to Street Sounds.

Again, not particularly forgotten but:

Good Time is a recent one that might also scratch the itch.

Surprised no-one has mentioned one of my favourites: The Seven-Ups:

Plus Wiliam Lustig did some of the grittiest NY-based films going: Vigilante, Maniac Cop, and Maniac. Really grimy visions of The Big Apple.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

New York in the 70's is my favourite movie setting. It just oozes character and grime. That is before Woody Allen came along and gentrified it.

Q, The Winged Serpent is a great shout.

Another brilliant one is Wolfen, starring Albert Finney

I was literally scrolling through to make sure no one said these two... and the warriors

and crocodile Dundee 1&2

15 hours ago, Harsin said:

The grittiest Brixton New York gets!

Whilst some of it was filmed in NY:

(from Wikipedia)

In early May, the production team moved to London. Winner found it useful that both cities had a lot of Victorian buildings. The police station scenes were filmed at the old Lambeth Hospital in Lambeth, which has since been demolished. The neighborhood used for the gang war of the film was in Brixton, a district which was infested with real-life gangs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned one of my favourites: The Seven-Ups:

Plus Wiliam Lustig did some of the grittiest NY-based films going: Vigilante, Maniac Cop, and Maniac. Really grimy visions of The Big Apple.

Great shout. I prefer this to French Connection

You know, watching some of these videos might seem a million miles from home to a lot of people but growing up in Liverpool (and I can imagine similar for a ton of people around the country and on here) my childhood was filled with wastelands and derelict play areas. It may be on a much larger scale in these NYC clips but my god the 70s and 80s held a distinct feel across borders.

There was a lot of poverty for some but thank god it does seem a lot, lot better in most places today. Not saying there isn't massive poverty today because of course there is but I'm happy to say I don't see as much neglect and dilapidation in the buildings and estates of today as that of my/our youth. It's virtually none existent now, gladly.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, amc said:

You know, watching some of these videos might seem a million miles from home to a lot of people but growing up in Liverpool (and I can imagine similar for a ton of people around the country and on here) my childhood was filled with wastelands and derelict play areas. It was on a much larger scale in a lot of these clips but my god the 70s and 80s held a distinct feel across borders.

A lot of poverty for some and it does feel a lot, lot better in places today. Not saying there isn't massive poverty today because of course there is but I'm happy to say I don't see it so much in the buildings and estates as much as I did.

Yeah watching stuff from the 70's and it almost feels post apocalyptic. New York was a war zone and totally bankrupt. It has huge atmosphere and character. Compare the opening of Saturday Night Fever to the opening of Friends! Same city 20 year apart.

I was in NYC in 98, bang in the middle of Giuliani's clean up and the skateboarders and punks I was hanging with there all hated it. They wanted their grimy character filled city back.

I LOVE the vibe of it

Bronx Warriors is a great shout. Imagine trying to film that in those same blocks now, having to CGI out all the Starbucks logos.

Johnny Suede is from 1991 but Brooklyn was still gritty and destitute:

Also, In The Soup, from 1992:

Cruising was re-released recently too:

Surprised at nobody mentioning Midnight Cowboy either- because it's obvious, or from 1969? Either way, Ratso's squat fits the bill.

On 06/12/2019 at 22:18, Vespa Alex said:

If you want TV as well, The Deuce is spot on. 

Yeah, I'm watching this and wondering how they managed to make this beautifully sleazy version of 70s NYC so authentic and richly detailed. The shots around Times Square are so full of life and detail, I would love to see some background behind the making of this series.

Summer of Sam is fucking brilliant. I love the way it parallels the growing paranoia and violence in the film with the decline of disco, and the rise of punk.

• Upvote 1