rllmuk
Fusty Gusset

Darksiders Genesis - Firth of Strife

It’s Diablosiders so apols if there's already a thread, it's out later and couldn't find owt. 

“Darksiders Genesis is a rare spinoff that equals and sometimes surpasses its mainline brethren.”
8.7/10 – IGN

“From the gorgeous visuals to the smooth, frenetic combat and environments that beg to be explored, the quality on display here is incredibly impressive.”
9/10 – God is a Geek

“Darksiders Genesis feels a lot like some of our favorite parts of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games mixed with Darksiders tone and puzzle-solving.”
9/10 – Shacknews

Darksiders Genesis will release on PC and Google Stadia on December 5th 2019, and PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch™ will follow on February 14th 2020.

• Upvote 1

Eurogamer recommended, too. I really liked Darksiders 1 and 2. 3 feels a bit crap so I haven't got very far in it, but this looks great, so it's nice that the franchise seems to be shifting to a format that they can make work.

I'll have to wait for the console versions, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Eurogamer recommended, too. I really liked Darksiders 1 and 2. 3 feels a bit crap so I haven't got very far in it, but this looks great, so it's nice that the franchise seems to be shifting to a format that they can make work.

I'll have to wait for the console versions, unfortunately.

Did you change the combat style and try it?

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Did you change the combat style and try it?

I didn't play it for very long, but couldn't really tell the difference between the two styles, embarrassingly.

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

I didn't play it for very long, but couldn't really tell the difference between the two styles, embarrassingly.

It's quite significant, the second style is more like 1 and 2. Not badgering, just letting you know there are options :P

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's quite significant, the second style is more like 1 and 2. Not badgering, just letting you know there are options :P

Thanks, that's useful to know. I think it's been so long since I played 2 that I didn't notice the first mode being that different, really. I would like to give it a proper go.

• Upvote 1

I believe it's a prequel in story terms. Spinoff in gameplay terms. 

Acg review there, he's a fan. It's got a really good visual style. Platforming sequences seems a questionable idea in a diablo, though. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Spin off.

Probably going to buy this to support Gunfire as I adore the Darksiders series although this is probably a dead cert for Gamepass or Humble within a few months

Just realise, it's Airship Syndicate but they still deserve our money because Joe Mad and also Battle Chasers was mad fun.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Just realise, it's Airship Syndicate but they still deserve our money because Joe Mad and also Battle Chasers was mad fun.

Given the uncertainty and length of time we had to wait for Darksiders 3, I'd buy to support THQ continuing the IP if nothing else and Joe being back on board bodes well for DS4.

Although by all accounts from the reviews this actually looks like its going to be great anyway

Just finished chapter 2 solo, the platforming hasn’t annoyed me, when I topple it’s my own fault. Puzzles are pretty easy but playing on hard the difficulty spikes are very very Darksiders. Music is especially good. Loadsa fun.

3 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

Nowhere has it in stock, and they're all stating a release date of February. What's going on?

PC and Stadia now, console releases to follow in February.

• Upvote 1

Been a while since I played a game this hard to put down. It's addictive as hell. Just a tip for completionists trying to 100% levels though:

Spoiler

Some of the collectibles that show on the map only appear on a second run

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Thwomp said:

Ah, that's odd! Thanks.

Think it's a relatively small team and they're getting the pc version sorted before working on the ports. A pity as it looks like a perfect Christmas switch game. 

Never been into Diablo style dungeon crawlers, but I'm a massive Darksiders fan. Watched a couple of reviews and this looks like a very good translation of the series to a new genre/direction. Glad to hear people are enjoying it.

Always feel a bit funny using cdkeys or other key sellers. Does anyone know if the devs really make much of anything from them? Sub £20 is very tempting despite my growing pile of shame. 

So this as it turns out is absolutely brilliant and y'all need to play it right now

Cross post from the 2020 completion thread

So mystery of the week.  Why is no one talking about this game (seriously the thread has about a dozen posts (two of them by me before I even bought it).  I guess that's because no one is playing it.  And why is no one playing it?  Well fcuk'd if I know because its absolutely fantastic.

Okay I will admit a modicum of bias here.  I adore the Darksiders series.  Its the mix beautiful mid 90s Imagine comics style art with the po faced but at times hilarious story beats and the way it the series realises that basically any genre is improved if you mix a bit of Zelda in there.  Here comes a history lesson:

Darksiders I - basically God of War meets Zelda, during and after the apocalypse.  Run around dungeons, hit things with a comically over powered sword, get items and solve clever but never terribly tricky environmental puzzles.  All with a chunky gorgeous art style.  And Vulgrum - everyone loves Vulgrum. 

Darksiders II - basically the above with a more mobile lead, and lashes of Prince of Persia style platforming,  an open world to join the dungeons and a dash of Diablo style loot.  Its undoubtedly one of my favourite games of the last decade, even though its oh so terribly clear how the budget gradually ran dry as the game moves towards its conclusion (massive impressive first open world area with loads of side dungeons, much more linear second map, by the third we're down to a single path).  It has its weaknesses (the plot never really goes anywhere, Death is as far less interesting character than War, its obsessed with 3 McGuffins being the key to move forwards and as a prequel it fails miserably to deliver on the best ending to a game ever (No, not alone...)).  But its great really.

Darksiders III - as above, but with about a 10th of the budget and no horses, less platforming, a rather shoe horned in Dark Souls vibe  but a quite nicely executed Metroidvania level design.  Its the weakest of the trilogy for sure but I still love it.

So yeah the Darksiders series has had a bit of a rough ride.  The first game managed to be something of a sleeper hit for THQ, surprising everyone who expected another God of War/DMC/Dante's Inferno knock off with basically the best non Nintendo version of a 3D Zelda.  It sold far better than expected.

Slightly desperate at this point, THQ basically threw all their money at the sequel hoping for a mega hit (they even bought all the advertising space on Time Square on release).  This was never likely for a niche title like Darksiders.  The sequel did good business despite everything but it wasn't enough.  THQ went bust.  Tragically no one saved Virgil Games but Nordic bought the IP.

Virgil dissolved and about half the company drifted off to form Gunfire Games whilst the other half became Airship Syndicate who made the also rather wonderful Battle Chasers.

A couple of HD remasters and the now THQ Nordic (because when you've bough most if the IP of a defunct company why not also take their name?) released Darksiders III from the Virgil off shoot Gunfire.  Teeny tiny budget was evident and it is comfortably the weakest of the trilogy, but it was still more Darksiders and therefore great by default.  Suggesting that AA games do have a future, despite modest sales it turns a healthy profit.

Which leads us to back to Darksiders Genesis.  As noted earlier half of Virgil (or so) ended up as Gunfire, but the other half of the senior team founded Airship Syndicate.  And made the really rather great SRPG Battle Chasers (basically a modern Vandal Hearts if you've not played it).

So we have half the creative team who made Darksiders, they are making games for THQ Nordic, they have a overhead isoometricc engine, they have the lead artist from Darksiders.  Why not make a Darksiders Diablo game?  You could even introduce the 4th horseman we've barely met (Strife)?

I'll admit I was a wee bit sceptical when this was announced at E3.  Darksiders has always been about genre mix, but I was far from convinced that Diablo dungeon crawling was a good fit.

I was wrong.

Mainly because this is not a Diablo style dungeon crawler.  Its a Darksiders game.  A proper Darksiders game.  More of a Darksiders game than the threequel in fact. It basically plays like a mix of 1 and 2 from an isometric perspective.  Or a 2D Zelda game with more hitting things and platforming.

Its bloody brilliant.  The combat feels great - War is just as he was from the original and despite the change of perspective the combat feels just as visceral  Strife meanwhile adds a dash of twin stick shooter to the proceedings.  The campaign is 16 levels long and meaty.  There are a shit load of secrets to find in the maps.  You get to ride you're horse(s).  The puzzles are never really full on Zelda head scratchers but keep you on your toes.  There's a surprisingly complex levelling system with the creature cores which has loads of potential for messing about with builds..  Oh and an arena mode for pure combat chaos.  And War is back and is still the best horseman by a mile.  And Vulgrim.  And Samael too.

If you even got a smidgeon of enjoyment out of the three preceding games you owe yourself to get this.  Its about £17 from CDkeys right now on PC.  Its out on console (would be great on the Switch) in February.  If you never played them the first 2 are free from Epic Games store until tomorrow evening so off you go.

Its my game of (last) year - hey I played most of it over Xmas - by a country mile.  After 33 hours and managing to get almost all the items from the maps and clocking all of the arena levels aside from the endless final one I saw the credits last night. Loved it.

Of course its not perfect.  Its another prequel (really, a 3rd one, after that ending?).  War rather overshadows Strife despite this being the latter's debut.  The plot doesn't really go anywhere (as its a prequel) and the MacGuffins are all present and correct.  But its just so much damned fun.

Phenomenal / 10

• Upvote 6

I'm just waiting for console release. Really looking forward to it though. It's just not the kind of game that gains any kind of mainstream traction, and I don't think Darksiders as a franchise is either. However I think 3 sold better than people thought and while it went to GamePass sooner than I thought it might I still bought it at full whack because Gunfire and Airship Syndicate deserve support.

• Upvote 2

I've not played any of the Darksiders titles, but I played Battle Chasers: Nightwar and that was surprisingly brilliant and by the same devs (Airship Brigade). They're definitely ones to watch.