rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Droo

Where to buy: RGB cable for a SNES.

9 hours ago, new666uk said:

Their new HDMI cables are scarily expensive aren't they? TBH, I connect the NES, SNES and MD to a 55" Samsung 4k via RF and am perfectly comfortable with the output quality.

You need to get those cataracts sorted mate. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, new666uk said:

Their new HDMI cables are scarily expensive aren't they? TBH, I connect the NES, SNES and MD to a 55" Samsung 4k via RF and am perfectly comfortable with the output quality.

They're the best in class by far and the only sane option considering their performance - but probably not the best option as three separate solutions for your consoles (at that point you might as well get an OSSC or wait for an RGB Retrotink2X).

If you're happy with RF on a 4K telly (?!) none of these scaling cables or scalers are for you though. Save the money.

13 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

They're the best in class by far and the only sane option considering their performance - but probably not the best option as three separate solutions for your consoles (at that point you might as well get an OSSC or wait for an RGB Retrotink2X).

If you're happy with RF on a 4K telly (?!) none of these scaling cables or scalers are for you though. Save the money.

Yeah, the plethora of systems creates an issue. Wonder if there is a possibility of a modular solution where the console side connectors can be changed and use a common HDMI side...I did get a DCPowered solution for power. One brick that can run all three of the above. It would even run a MD Tower of Power if I had one. Really cuts down on the clutter.

I'm always a bit suspicious when folks tell me their new wonder cable makes 1985 console output so impressive your eyes will bleed and still thank you for it. Just feels a bit Emperors New Clothes to me but each to their own. I respect that people are putting the time and effort into making these and keeping the retro scene moving.

On 04/12/2019 at 13:03, new666uk said:

Yeah, the plethora of systems creates an issue. Wonder if there is a possibility of a modular solution where the console side connectors can be changed and use a common HDMI side...I did get a DCPowered solution for power. One brick that can run all three of the above. It would even run a MD Tower of Power if I had one. Really cuts down on the clutter.

I'm always a bit suspicious when folks tell me their new wonder cable makes 1985 console output so impressive your eyes will bleed and still thank you for it. Just feels a bit Emperors New Clothes to me but each to their own. I respect that people are putting the time and effort into making these and keeping the retro scene moving.

Well, this is a little different from the audiophile, gold-plated, electromagnetically-shielded, hi-fi cable snake oil stuff. RGB SCART is a different video standard to RF and it's more akin to connecting a PC to a CRT monitor with a VGA cable than it is connecting an old console to a TV via RF cable. You'd see a huge difference in quality on an old CRT television - Sega were so convinced by this back in the day they shipped the Saturn in the UK with only an RGB cable and sold the RF cable separately - this was always considered one of their missteps because not everyone buying one would necessarily have had SCART sockets on the back of their TV.

It's always going to look a bit arse on a 55" HD telly, but RGB cables should improve things a fair bit. Using a proper upscaling solution like an OSSC would improve things even further.